• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

That's the best news I've heard in a long time. Do the survey/recovery team follow this thread? Would you mind if I post your records on the Spoon-billed sand Facebook site, Mcaribou? I know that members of the survey/recovery team follow that.

Such good news - well done.

Ken

That's the best news I've heard in a long time. Do the survey/recovery team follow this thread? Would you mind if I post your records on the Spoon-billed sand Facebook site, Mcaribou? I know that members of the survey/recovery team follow that.

Ken

I've been sending them in Ken, it's the reason I started the thread ;)

Ken

Keep track of them - only four weeks to go! Surely one can stay...

a

Keep track of them - only four weeks to go! Surely one can stay...

a

Good luck Lewis20126. I'm there in the Autumn (if planes are still staying in the sky) but more than me seeing them - I just hope they have a good breeding season. They desperately need some recruitment.

Thanks for the info, Rockfowl and well done.

Ken

Would you mind if I post your records on the Spoon-billed sand Facebook site
We who live in China - because Facebook and Blogspot are not allowed here - miss out on a lot of info from these sites!!!!! If anything interesting crops up in areas of cyber-world that are denied to Chinese birders - please post them up for us to read.

No idea what was the case in last April.I was not there until 28 Apr.
Between Rudong and Shanghai,there's a county called Qidong which also holds some good mudflats I visited several years ago in winter.Hopefully Spooner can also be found.

We who live in China - because Facebook and Blogspot are not allowed here - miss out on a lot of info from these sites!!!!! If anything interesting crops up in areas of cyber-world that are denied to Chinese birders - please post them up for us to read.

Of course - I will take a look later and post some links. Can you access Youtube? I'm assuming, not.

Ken

Here are some links...

Bangladesh spooner diary part 1 here (still waiting for part 2)... http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=2029
Some photos from the trip here... http://punkbirder.webs.com/latestsightings.htm
Youtube video here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOs_GvqDHzQ
And a different one here from Graham Chisholm... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CNqIU5gH4I&feature=player_embedded

And this is something Graham Chisholm had to say about his trip to Burma...

In late January an international expedition organized under the auspices of BirdLife International surveyed for Spoon-billed Sandpipers in Myanmar (Burma). The group of Burmese, Europeans and Americans survey portions of coastal Myanmar in the Gulf of Martaban seeking to document the wintering locations for this ultra-...rare sandpiper.

I joined the expedition’s last four days when we surveyed a small offshore island in the northern end of the Gulf of Martaban just off the communities of Bilin and Kyaikto. Over the course of these two days, we spotted at least 71 Spoon-billed Sandpipers among more than 35,000 shorebirds. The site is extraordinary. Each morning we would arrive when the salt marsh and mud flat island was still under the high tides, and as the tide dropped large numbers of shorebirds would show up including Greater and Lesser Sand Plovers, Pacific Golden and Kentish Plovers, Curlew Sandpipers, Marsh Sandpipers, Greenshanks, Redshanks, Rufous-necked Stints along with many other species.

These surveys were part of a coordinated effort to survey Myanmar for the third winter. Over the course of several weeks other sites in Myanmar were also surveyed, and an estimated 89 Spoon-billed Sandpipers were observed.

BirdLife International has been sponsoring a series of surveys on the breeding and wintering grounds, including three years of surveys in Myanmar which has emerged as holding the most wintering birds. Dr. Christoph Zoeckler with ArcCona Ecological Consulting, and organizer of the surveys, estimates that the Gulf of Martaban alone, may hold 150-200 birds or 50% of the world’s population. Small numbers of Spoon-billed Sandpipers winter in Bangladesh (15 were observed in early 2010), Thailand (a minimum of six were observed in early 2010), Vietnam and China.

A social economic survey team covered the same area and will provide important information to help craft strategies to provide alternative sources of income that will reduce trapping of shorebirds in key Spoon-billed Sandpiper wintering sites.

The international survey team that conducted this survey was part of the Spoon-billed Sandpiper Recovery Team with members of ArcCona Consulting, Cambridge and the British Trust for Ornithology, UK, from Birds Russia, and participants from Germany, Canada and U.S., teamed with and well looked after in Myanmar by local BirdLife partner BANCA.

Hope you are able to access some of these links. There were some great photos too. I'll ask the photographers if I can post them here as they were on Facebook and so will not be available to you.

Ken

and an interview with David Sibley about spooners now here .
Also a chance to win a David Sibley painting of the wee beastie while raising money for bird conservation. I would urge all birders to give it a go (much as I want to keep it secret and win the painting myself) and if you run a Blog or similar, please post a link to the site.

Ken

From 27 Apr to 3 May,everyday we saw 2~9 Spooner in Rudong.We focused on photography,so it's not always a full tally.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back