• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID's from Olympia, WA wildlife refuge (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

I joined a bird walk group this morning at Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR north of Olympia, WA. I am wondering about these birds:

1. Hairy woodpecker? Didn't get a great look...missing the beak in the shot, but seems to be lacking spots on tail edges and looks like the white supercilium is broken on the back of the head.
2. Western Wood Peewee? Not sure. badly back-lit...also saw Willow and Pacific Slope later in the day.
3. Orange-crowned Warbler
4. Very trusted source ID'd it as Warbling Vireo...didn't get a good shot but looked right through binoculars...any thoughts on the photo?
5. Worst shot of the day! Western Tanager? Cedar Waxwing? Flying around quickly in dense forest near marsh.

Peace

Attachments

• IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 68
1. Downy Woodpecker - a little bit of black barring is visible in the otherwise white outer tail feathers, and there's no shoulder spur
2. Western Wood-Pewee
3. Yellow Warbler
4. Passerine sp.
5. Looks good for Western Tanager, but I don't know if I'd call it

4- Prob. Warbling Vireo (especially if backed by the birder you were with). The short tail is good for vireo but the photo doesn't offer much.
5- My best guess would be Cedar Waxwing based on the apparent light brown head and breast, yellow belly, and dark tail stripe. However, I would not be comfortable calling this one.

Agree on the rest :t:

Thanks! I'm not making any calls on that last one either, just curious what you thought. The trail looked to be black all the way to the edge, whereas your expect some yellow for a waxwing. But blurry as the shot is, there's no way to be sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back