• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

M1Garand

I'm new here but been birding for quite a while and thought I'd share a few pics I still had on my computer. This is one of a male pileated woodpecker at my suet feeder, I believe it was last fall. Sorry if the quality isn't the best, I took it though the window. They seem to be fairly shy and I see him (and the female) from time to time but not on a regular basis.

Attachments

• pileated.jpg
    pileated.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 119
I just love these guys. Everybody gets their Pileateds to their suet feeders.... everybody but me :(

I have several that visit my yard through the winter months but they all visit the dead stumps never the suet feeders. So I will ask you. How high up do you have your suet feeders? I'm trying to figure out if mine are too low.

My suet feeder is about 4 1/2 to 5 feet off of the ground. The most common visitors are the red bellied, downy and hairy woodpeckers. I wish I could remember if it was a specific kind of suet but I want to say it nutty flavor.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back