• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel eating sugar water!!!! (1 Viewer)

sunsetview

I thought I was going crazy when I looked out and saw a Squirrel on my hummingbird feeder! I got a video clip of it, thinking it was a one time thing. Little did I know that squirrel keeps coming back and has chewed away all the plastic petals on the fake flowers. It is a saucer type feeder. I've tried spraying it with the water hose to keep it from coming back. Not working too well with that. Now, I have a new feeder and keeping an eye out for the sugar water attic! Has anyone else every witness this?

I have had both chipmunks and golden mantel ground squirrels eat from hummingbird feeders when I've had them where they can get to them. I have learned when camping to keep the feeders where furry critters can't get to them... or if I want some fun just set one of them on the ground.

chip_at_feeder.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
The scarier thing is when Black Bears start visiting your hummingbird feeding station, as happened to me when I lived and worked at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary in Pennsylvania. Not only do they drink the eater, they also eat the feeders!

Cheers,

BILL

Very intersting! I have never heard of Squirrles eating from the feeders, let alone BEARS! That would be a picture. I am learning every day on this site. It is full of information just like what you two have provided me with. Thanks

Question about your clear picture

ClassyShots said:
I have had both chipmunks and golden mantel ground squirrels eat from hummingbird feeders when I've had them where they can get to them. I have learned when camping to keep the feeders where furry critters can't get to them... or if I want some fun just set one of them on the ground.

chip_at_feeder.jpg

Mike
I have to ask you being new to the forums how you uploaded such a large clear picture? When I try that it tells me my picture is too large. Thanks

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on your question about photo size and posting.

Size your image down to 600 px on the long side and to 72 dpi, sharpen it, and when you save set the compression to about 80 or to an 8 quality depending on the editing software you are using. The trick is to get it down to between 100 and 200 kb.

Mike

ClassyShots said:
Sorry it took so long to get back to you on your question about photo size and posting.

Size your image down to 600 px on the long side and to 72 dpi, sharpen it, and when you save set the compression to about 80 or to an 8 quality depending on the editing software you are using. The trick is to get it down to between 100 and 200 kb.

Mike
Sorry it took me so long to find where I wrote to you! I get lost quickly in here. Thanks for you info, although it's sounds a little greek to me. I'm not much of a techie. I will give it a try next time I try to post a pic.

sunsetview said:
Sorry it took me so long to find where I wrote to you! I get lost quickly in here. Thanks for you info, although it's sounds a little greek to me. I'm not much of a techie. I will give it a try next time I try to post a pic.
If you are uploading to the BF gallery,here are the limitations:

"File Sizes
The gallery will not accept any photos over 200kb, although it is advisable to keep file sizes below 100kb where possible, as many users will just not bother viewing your photo if it is too large. Dimensions
The gallery will automatically reduce the dimensions of any photos above 800 x 800. However, it may also reduce the quality of the photo in the process, so if you can it would be a good idea to resize it in your chosen photo-editing software before you post it."

http://www.birdforum.net/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_gallery_sizendimensions

However,that probably isn't the question you are asking. If you attach a photo to BF,using the "Manage Attachment" link below this thread,the image will appear as a thumbnail.

The best way to resize your image is with your photo editor. If you need a free and easy one to use,try PhotoFiltre:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/1861-photofiltre.html

Last edited:
re:

sunsetview said:
Great detailed info, I will try some of the freebie sites. Thanks
Last week I noticed a squirrel hanging on our hummingbird feeder too. It bounced wildly ah he hung on and finally he dropped to the ground. Funny to watch. |=)|

I have not caught them at it but I suspect the squirrels in my yard also like sugar water because a number of the petals on the feeders have been chewed off.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back