• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18 months in Shanghai: March 2012 - August 2013 (2 Viewers)

Poyanggggggg...January 12 & 13th 2013

Subtle beauty...bit like me good self eh?

Duelling harriers...plural and singular...

Attachments

• 9325_Plain Prinia.jpg
    9325_Plain Prinia.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 9329_Plain Prinia.jpg
    9329_Plain Prinia.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 9339_Eastern Marsh Harrier.jpg
    9339_Eastern Marsh Harrier.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 9353_Eastern Marsh Harrier.jpg
    9353_Eastern Marsh Harrier.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 9358_Eastern Marsh Harrier.jpg
    9358_Eastern Marsh Harrier.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 41

Local life...ain't easy...

Posing Cisticola...

Now you've seen the file name so you know it's in there...now try it from a hurtling vehicle...

Attachments

• 9379_Washer woman.jpg
    9379_Washer woman.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 9401_Zitting Cisticola.jpg
    9401_Zitting Cisticola.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 71
  • 9414_Eurasian Bittern.jpg
    9414_Eurasian Bittern.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 9406_Eurasian Bittern.jpg
    9406_Eurasian Bittern.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 9441_Eurasian Bittern.jpg
    9441_Eurasian Bittern.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 98

Little Grebe...part of the goose flocks posing well...Poyang marshlands...buffalo...also posing well...

Attachments

• 9465_Little Grebe.jpg
    9465_Little Grebe.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 9493_Goose flock.jpg
    9493_Goose flock.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 42
  • 1968_Poyang_marshlands.jpg
    1968_Poyang_marshlands.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 35
  • 1970_Poyang_marshlands.jpg
    1970_Poyang_marshlands.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 9486_Coos.jpg
    9486_Coos.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 31

Awesome predator and remnants of slightly less agressive but messy omnivores scoffage...

Attachments

• 9529_Peregrine.jpg
    9529_Peregrine.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 9530_Peregrine.jpg
    9530_Peregrine.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 32
  • 9531_Peregrine.jpg
    9531_Peregrine.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 9546_Peregrine.jpg
    9546_Peregrine.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 1973_Poyang_Final meal.jpg
    1973_Poyang_Final meal.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 41
The look of the Peregrinator is so soft jus like the "Magneto" of X-Men. Love the shot of the Wild Mushroom. By the way what's your China count?

Love the shot of the Wild Mushroom.

I presume you’re referring to the shot in #457, rather than the mostly consumed morsels (rather than morels) in the dish, Dev !

I believe the photo to be of a Bracket fungus, or Polypore. With these, it is often important to note the host tree, as an aid to ID.

However, my fungal novitiate has hardly begun and a quick GoogleImage search didn’t further assist.

I presume you’re referring to the shot in #457, rather than the mostly consumed morsels (rather than morels) in the dish, Dev !

I believe the photo to be of a Bracket fungus, or Polypore. With these, it is often important to note the host tree, as an aid to ID.

However, my fungal novitiate has hardly begun and a quick GoogleImage search didn’t further assist.

Wotcha John

Doubt these will help other than to establish the host is a stump but feel free to give it a go!

I was after the "arty" rather than the identificational meself ;D

cheers
Mark

Attachments

• 9237_Fungus stump.jpg
    9237_Fungus stump.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 9239_Fungus stump.jpg
    9239_Fungus stump.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 31
The look of the Peregrinator is so soft jus like the "Magneto" of X-Men. Love the shot of the Wild Mushroom. By the way what's your China count?

Think I'm on about 396...depends on some double checking when I rescue me notebook from the 2008 trip and that's not until September...

cheers
McM

Doubt these will help other than to establish the host is a stump but feel free to give it a go! I was after the "arty" rather than the identificational meself

As I said, my qualifications for fungal ID are less than minimal ! I believe the ‘stump’ once to have been a tree, but that’s as far as I get.

I quote from a helpful portion of a post re a similar quandary on another thread:

“rule #1 for photographing fungi is to try and photograph underneath as well as the cap.

Other important things to note are substrate (alive wood, dead wood, soil, dung, pine cones etc), trees nearby (many species are associated with specific trees, but just deciduous/coniferous will help), smell, and if your specimen is growing singularly, spread out or many from one base ("trooping").”

I have posted a pic of the front cover of a basic, photographic field guide ($38) to Chinese mushrooms below, in case anyone is interested. There are two other and larger tomes available- one for around $170 and the other for over $350. I’m sure members resident in the Middle Kingdom will know where to source such books.

Attachments

• Chinese Mushrooms  guide.jpg
    Chinese Mushrooms guide.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 34
Hmm...seems to be an increase in gull numbers on the Huangpo at the moment...anyone think of why this could be so...is there more to scavenge at this time of year...

I mean..checkout this porker...I mean...I nearly dropped me bacon sarnie...err...camera when I saw the gut on this y'un...hence the blurred image!

Attachments

• 0792_Mongolian Porker.jpg
    0792_Mongolian Porker.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Doh!

More seriously it may be worth keeping an ear out for reports of Black Vultures (proper ones - not that stunted New World cross between a crow and a manky black leather glove) - they are good at materialising at the site of a nice meal.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Panda Poopin' Way Out West...

Seem to be a little wayward with the write-ups but...cast your minds back to early January...Thursday 17th in fact...so far this month had seen trips north to Beijing for good times with good folks and not to mention Mr Pallas's famous rosefinches...a weekend west in Poyang where two Brits, and American and our keen-eyed friend Laolin had spied cranes and other goodies...

Now...following another four hectic days in the office, an early afternoon escape saw me strolling down Caoxi road to meet Jocko at his place of business for a short drive out to Pudong where we managed to convince the nice lady on check-in we were deserving of special treatment and thus a buggy and driver to get us to Gate 98 or somewhere out by Nanhui I think! Flight was en route to Bangalore and after an uneventful, if delayed...yes...again...five from five kept me on my 100% winning streak there...flight we arrived in Chengdu and were met by our driver for this off the wall weekend...a reasonably short wait and a transfer to the other terminal saw us collecting Hong Kong Chris off his, also delayed, flight and departing off into the night to reach “base camp” in Ya'an...”the city with the shortest people in China” to quote an anonymous source...they were too!

Safely in our beds by 0100 with an 0600-ish departure, I caught up on some zzzzz...

Hot shower...breakfast of some description and off we went...leaving the city and our game of “spot the shorty” (I know, I know...but you had to be there...ok?) behind we moved into the countryside and our first good bird was a wire-sitting Little Owl that didn't hang around for our shutters to snap him...

A stop for fuel for the vehicle and us brought goodies with it as we realised the bushes and trees on the surrounding slopes contained a large flock of Collared Finchbills and some hangers on in the form of unidentified phylloscs; three Streak-breased Scimitar-babblers (finally!) and an Eastern Great Tit.

Gradually we climbed through the landscape and patient driving saw us arriving at the entrance to Labahe Park...entrance fee paid and we began winding our way up the gorge to to our final destination. Birds began to flit away away form our approach with Plumbeous Redstarts and my first lifer, White-capped Water Redstart, being most numerous. A forktail was seen well enough to agree lifer number two was Spotted Forktail...this was going well!

Our first stop was at the frozen Tiansi Waterfall where Chris's sharp eyes and patience got me onto my second forktail lifer of the trip as a Little Forktail worked it's way back and firth across the frozen flow...very nice too...across the road the clear waters flowed unimpeded down their gravel-filled route out of the mountains...

Soon enough we arrived at the park centre with the staff and guest accommodations all centred in a small area at the base of hills on all sides. Plan A was put into force and we worked the roadside scrub in our first attempt at one of the trip target birds...would we catch up with the mythical Streaked Barwing as well as our mammalian targets...? Not immediately it would seem but I was happy enough as the lifers continued to arrive...Elliot's Laughingthrush was a smart, if flighty resident around the accommodation area; Chris shouted me to come see a Brown Dipper working the stream (finally got that bugger back on you Andy J!!) and Jocko and I had fleeting views of a Black-faced Laughingthrush but not enough (no face for a start!) to say I'd seen it proper-like!

Our plans were for an ascent and an overnight “camp” up the hill in order to place ourselves in “Position A” for the morning ablutes of our primary target...or so we hoped...here though fate, in the form of a be-leopard-skinned harridan from all your worst nightmares intervened...no, we couldn't go driving up the track or stay up there...more than her job was worth...

While Tibetan Macaques assembled for an obviously regular feed we stood around while the discussions ebbed and flowed...she really was some piece of work...not a local we learned and obviously a b*tch of the first order causing misery her special subject...

A Black Redstart entertained and we decided to not waste any more time arguing but do some more birding up the road which turned out to be reasonably successful in that we chanced up on a feeding flock that contained 4-6 stunning Golden-breasted Fulvetta's; a subtle Green Shrike-babbler; Darjeeling Woodpecker; a treecreeper spp. and a Speckled Piculet. The flock crossed a mini-valley perpendicular to the road allowing us good looks at most of the birds...sadly they wouldn't sit still long enough for this amateur photographer! A Crested Goshawk appeared in the blue skies soaring over the ridge above us...another one on the list for me...

Lower down the road the White Dove resorts bungalows held something good but elusive...finally they, as there was more than one, allowed perched views and the stunning Rufous-breasted Accentor was added to my list...

An ascent to the Silver Cave Sea was by turns breath-taking...a prelude to the struggles this unfit desk-jockey would enjoy over the next two days...and slippery...finally we arrived at a birding desert...nothing to see here...back down the trail we traipsed...

Time was moving on and so we decided to at least explore the road it seemed we would have to walk the entire length of the next day in order to reach our desired area...the macaques were still hanging around with a few scavenging seemingly deliberately placed corn on the track as we walked by...”admiring” the concrete channel to our left...one of the “improvements” that seem to be a hallmark of “wild” China...

Birdlife was scarce but we did encounter a vehicle coming down the “undriveable” track...Chris and our chauffeur flagged it down and got some alternative views to those of our leopard-b*tch-woman's...we would be driving at least some of the way next morning it was clear...Moods buoyed by late-afternoon walk-away views of a Black-faced Laughingthrush pair we faced up to the next round with you know who...

Having decided to postpone our camping escapade until Saturday night we needed to check in to the otherwise deserted grand hotel and...guess who...grabbed a lift with us in order to fleece us...sorry...check us in...yup...leopard lady has many jobs but all involve putting your money in her hands...an outrageous 300rmb a head was the going rate and only after she had our cash safely in her grasping claws did she gleefully announce that as it was close season there was no hot water...bliss! Comfy beds maybe but the modern bathroom sans the needed liquid to soothe the end of day aches was uncalled for...

Then there was the small matter of supper...back to the central admin/workers accommodation area we trooped to find...our bestest friend ready to amputate more wedge from our wallets in return for a hot meal and some beers. To be fair, the chef did a good job even if he didn't want us poking our noses in his kitchen to see what was available (a common enough practice in China but not on his watch it seemed) and we plotted the next days adventure and even arranged for a dozen or so hard-boiled eggs to be cooked for us to take as emergency rations up to the giddy heights next day...

...and so to bed...ready for the big day ahead...

to be continued...eventually...at some point...

Friday 18/01/2013 Labahe

Eastern Cattle Egret
Crested Goshawk
Little Owl
Common Hoopoe
Speckled Piculet
Darjeeling Woodpecker
Green Shrike-babbler

Red-billed Blue Magpie
Large-billed Crow
Eastern Great Tit
Collared Finchbill
Streak-breasted Scimitar-babbler
Elliott's Laughingthrush
Black-faced Laughingthrush
Golden-breasted Fulvetta

White-collared Yuhina (Chris only)
Eurasian Winter Wren
Hodgson's Treecreeper
Black Redstart
Plumbeous Water Redstart
White-capped Water Redstart
Little Forktail
Spotted Forktail
Brown Dipper

Eurasian Tree Sparrow
Rufous-breasted Accentor
White Wagtail (personata)

Attachments

• 1974_Shanghai Pudong.jpg
    1974_Shanghai Pudong.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 1978_Sichuan.jpg
    1978_Sichuan.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 9551_Tiansi waterfall.jpg
    9551_Tiansi waterfall.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 9552_Tiansi waterfall.jpg
    9552_Tiansi waterfall.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 9555_Labahe entrance road.jpg
    9555_Labahe entrance road.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 23

Scenery and an evil woman...

Attachments

• 1980_Labahe Park HQ.jpg
    1980_Labahe Park HQ.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 1981_Jocko_Labahe Park HQ.jpg
    1981_Jocko_Labahe Park HQ.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1982_Labahe_Evil Leopardskin B'tch.jpg
    1982_Labahe_Evil Leopardskin B'tch.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 9566_Labahe.jpg
    9566_Labahe.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1987_Labahe_River.jpg
    1987_Labahe_River.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 23

Scenic scenery...and improving on nature...

Attachments

• 1988_Labahe.jpg
    1988_Labahe.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 1990_Labahe_Nature isn't good enough.jpg
    1990_Labahe_Nature isn't good enough.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 1993_Labahe.jpg
    1993_Labahe.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 1999_Labahe_Silver Cave Sea.jpg
    1999_Labahe_Silver Cave Sea.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 1997_Labahe_Silver Cave Sea.jpg
    1997_Labahe_Silver Cave Sea.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 26

Birds...not the best ever picture of Brown Dipper I'm sure...

Attachments

• 9557_Elliot's Laughingthrush.jpg
    9557_Elliot's Laughingthrush.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 9564_Brown Dipper.jpg
    9564_Brown Dipper.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 9568_Labahe.jpg
    9568_Labahe.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 9672_Green Shrike-babbler.jpg
    9672_Green Shrike-babbler.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 9675_Rufous-breasted Accentor.jpg
    9675_Rufous-breasted Accentor.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 38
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back