• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Nanchang and Poyang Hu, Jiangxi Province (1 Viewer)

In early December 2005, I spent a couple of days at Guan Shan, which is a few hours drive from Nanchang. I have never seen so many chickens anywhere: 51 Silver Pheasant, 11 Koklass and 7 Elliot's in 2 full days. These were all seen along the road that runs through the reserve up to the East River Sub-station, or the road between the East and West River Sub-stations. We also had Fukien Slaty, Tristram's and Yellow-browed Buntings in the garden of the guest house at the East River Sub-station (where we stayed).

This isn't a site I see mentioned much these days - unless it has either deteriorated, or now has access restrictions, it's surprising it doesn't get more attention.

In early December 2005, I spent a couple of days at Guan Shan, which is a few hours drive from Nanchang. I have never seen so many chickens anywhere: 51 Silver Pheasant, 11 Koklass and 7 Elliot's in 2 full days. These were all seen along the road that runs through the reserve up to the East River Sub-station, or the road between the East and West River Sub-stations. We also had Fukien Slaty, Tristram's and Yellow-browed Buntings in the garden of the guest house at the East River Sub-station (where we stayed).

This isn't a site I see mentioned much these days - unless it has either deteriorated, or now has access restrictions, it's surprising it doesn't get more attention.

That's amazing. With those sort of numbers I'll be planning a trip in Feb/Mar and be in touch :t:

Guan Shan also has Cabot's Tragopan, Clouded Leopard (neither of which I saw), and the wonderful Mr Wu - the best guide ever for finding pheasants - he could tell whether a pheasant flying up into a tree in the dark to roost was Elliott's or Silver just by the sound the wings made!

The pic below show's the views that resulted - having heard it go to roost Mr Wu walked us into the forest and onto that bird and simply pointed upwards! Talk about a stunning start to a trip!

In the pic Mr Wu is on the far right and next to him some of you may recognize Mr Lin, a terrific Nanchang-based driver/guide /fixer

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN8467 Elliott's Pheasant (LSJ).jpg
    DSCN8467 Elliott's Pheasant (LSJ).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN5493 Mr Lin & Mr Wu @ Guan Shan.jpg
    DSCN5493 Mr Lin & Mr Wu @ Guan Shan.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

the main roads are paved so not so good anymore.The dirt road is blocked.It's Ok to walk but risky to drive.
I visited there in late Mar this year,and then drove to Fujian.In the mountains in Fujian it's easier to see these and by the expressway it's not much longer drive than to Guanshan so I think that's why it's not often visited as the Fujian sites.

I have been to Guanshan NR on Nov.2011 for a mammal research program. we spend 4days there, trekking and setting camera traps. Sliver and Elliot's Pheasants are easy. Half a year later, we have some photos of Asian golden cat by the camera traps! thought no cloud leopard. The NR is in good condition, and the main reason few person know, is that few birders in China and the NR charge $100 per day for a entrance fee... It should be the easily site in China to find Elliot's pheasnt before 2012...There is a new and easy birding site in Fujian for Koklass and Elliot's pheasnt now, Emei feng NR.

and 3 Quail, Yellow-Legged Button seen !!!

Hey Lin!

Three quail spp. flushed at the top of the "Valley of the Parrotbills"...lot of red in tail but not conclusive views...Kevin being optimistic on my behalf here... :D

Minivet flock was for real...whatever is common species there this time of year...

Cheers
MM

Hey Lin!

Three quail spp. flushed at the top of the "Valley of the Parrotbills"...lot of red in tail but not conclusive views...Kevin being optimistic on my behalf here... :D

Minivet flock was for real...whatever is common species there this time of year...

Cheers
MM
I'd say Chinese Bamboo Partridge
Grey-chinned Minivet is common.

I'd say Chinese Bamboo Partridge
Grey-chinned Minivet is common.

Looked too small for CBB...they can remain a mystery...although probably most likely as you say

Minivets sounds ok ;0)

Now find me a Baikal among all those Falcated for 11th Jan please :0)

All the best, Mark

Last edited:
Hi,

I am new here and hope to get some help. I'm planning to go to Wuyuan at the end of March to photograph birds. Do I need a bird guide? Is this a good season? Would appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

Dear MarKo,
It all depends on what you want. What species do you want to see? Do you just want to get close photos? Further to my earlier posting, I caanot recommend Wuyuan for photographing SL mergs. Best time for Wuyuan would be late April for the Blue-crowned LTs.
Michael

Visit to Poyang Hu, Sunday 19 January 2014

My first major trip out this year, with Stephen Ang, visited Nanjixiang area.
The bunting track (marked A on previous post) was our first stop, 2 Chestnut-eared bunting and a few rustic. A very large roost of black-crowned night-heron behind the duck ponds, I am now 99pct sure I had a Japanese Night Heron on our visit on 7 Dec so am now careful to check night heron roosts.
Also had dusky warbler and an unidentified bush-warbler type.
In my view this area would reward a half-day (or even whole day) hike round.

I must report that the water level in the lakes at Nanjixiang are critically low, where on 7 Dec there may have been a metre depth there is now just dry mudflats. The river through Nanchang is lower than ever, this may be an unprecedented dry winter, by March the water level is supposed to be at a max, as we are nearing the end of Jan it seems highly unlikely that levels will not rise to normal levels this winter. Anyway the lakes around Nanjixiang are a dead loss for ducks at present. We did see plenty of Oriental stork and we found one large flock of common teal, but Baikal still eludes me. For geese we saw
1000+ Bean
800+ Swan geese, a lot!
20+ greater wf
20+ lesser wf
We then drove over to the eastern side of the lake and drove along the causeway north of Ruihongzhen. Again the water level here is very low but we did see thousands of tundra swan, 20 ruddy shelduck and small flocks of vega and caspian/mongolian gull. Two days earlier 45 Baer's pochard had been found in this area but we did not have specific gen on their location, it is possible that they had been seen from a boat way out in the middle of the lake. Overall a rather disappointing day with Baikal, falcated, Baer's and Japanese swamp warbler all still to locate.
Now on two weeks holiday and I intend to work the Nanchang area hard, this pm I cycled to the Polygolf area and saw..
60+ Little egret
7 temminck's stint
1 wood sand
5+ green sand
60+ spot redshank
11 common teal
10 (chinese) spotbill
Many common snipe and stilt.
keep you updated.

Attachments

• Ruihong1.JPG
    Ruihong1.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Ruihong2.JPG
    Ruihong2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 55
Birding the island in the centre of the river, Sat 25 Jan 2014

In the Han river which flows north through Nanchang there is a large island which takes up more than half the width of the river at present. A causeway joins the island to the western shore. The causeway first became exposed and walkable last August, by now the river is usually rising and in past springs the island has been completely submerged. This winter, as previously noted, is exceptionally dry and the island is surrounded by extensive mudflats.
The island is easy to walk, it is covered in grass and grazed by cattle. There are a few trees at one end.

I got a cab to the causeway, walked right around the island then walked home.

List for the day
Dabchick, 15+ in two groups
No ducks or raptors seen
Kentish plover 3, including a very bright male
Temminck's stint 2
No gulls
Spotted dove 1
Long-tailed shrike 5+
Cinereous tit 1
Oriental magpie robin 1 resident male in the apartment gardens
Larks: Spent way too much time pondering this group. Definitely had 15+ eurasian skylark, but I think they are japonica based on their short primary projection and the fact they best matched the picture in Brazil, Brazil says that japonica may be either a full species or best lumped with oriental skylark.
I had good views of oriental skylark in Nanchang back in September and was struck by their short-tailed look and zero primary projection. Call is supposed to clinch but these presumed japonica just weren't doing the classic skylark flight call, a bit thinner to my ears.
I also had 2 oriental skylark flushed on call, did not see any other features.
Blimey! Aren't east asian larks hard?!
Zitting cisticola 5+
Chinese bulbul 4
Daurian redstart a stonking male
White wagtail, you can tell the birding was thin, I actually spent time checking the white wags for race: All amur wag, leucopsis. 20+
Pipits, 30+ but never got a decent view, likely to be water and or japponicus buff-bellied
White-rumped munia, 1 on the island, 1 flew past calling along the river on my way home, it was then chased by an LT shrike, I suspect the munia came off worst.
Tomorrow I shall find some nice trees to look in.

Aixi Lake Sunday 26 Jan 2014

Today I took several buses across to Aixi lake, walked anticlockwise from the SW corner, finishing at the far northern end. By now it was starting to drizzle in the strong northerly breeze and I got a taxi home.
I am happy that the birds seen are representative of mid-winter birds, overall far less than in early November.

Full list
RN Pheasant 1, I am clueless as to the provenance of pheasant in Nanchang
Spotbill c20, distant with 2+ mallard
No egrets or herons today
No raptors
Brown crake, 1 An easy to see bird in Nanchang wet spots
Moorhen 15+
Kentish plover 3
Spot red 4
Greenshank 2
Green Sand 5
Common sand 2
Wood sand 1
Temmincks stint 2
BH Gull 50+
Spotted dove 6
Oriental turtle dove, a very wary bird, a flock of 9 over
Common kingfisher 1
Pied kingfisher 4
LT shrike 4
Cinereous tit 4
Chinese bulbul 25+
Brown-flanked bush warbler 2, One gave excellent views skulking in the grass at my feet
Masked LT 3
White-browed LT 4
Crested Myna 6+
Black-collared starling 2
Silky/Red-billed starling 80+, nowhere near the huge flocks of October
Blackbird 15+
Red-flanked bluetail 2 females 1 nice male
Daurian redstart 8
White wagtail 30+ mostly distant, one close bird matched East siberian ocularis in Brazil
Chinese grosbeak, one flock of 6 birds
Black-faced bunting 9, males were sordida

No tree sparrow today.
Tomorrow I will try my luck in the tall mature trees of people's park

Attachments

• aixi1.JPG
    aixi1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 52
People's park, Mon 27 Jan 2014

People's park is one of the few areas in the city with tall, mature, established trees. I reckon 98 percent of trees in Nanchang are transplants within the last 10 years.

The map shows Nanchang zoo on the East, The zoo has long since moved to the south of the city and the area to the east of the lake is now cordoned off and being used for the construction of the metro line.

I have walked the park several times since last November and it is the best site in the city, in winter, for three species: Chinese grosbeak, grey-backed thrush and yellow-bellied tit.

I have concerns about the provenance of two species seen regularly in the park: Hwamei is a shy skulking LT so when I had a flock of 6 at my feet some weeks ago I was suspicious. I also had a very tame group of 8 red-billed leiothrix a few weeks ago. Today I had a similar group being studied by a shifty man holding large carrier bags with cuboids inside. Perhaps the park is being used as a free-range swap shop for captive song-birds?

Anyway, other than Hwamei (not seen today) and Leiothrix which are of doubtful provenance I feel today's list is representative of mid-winter birds to be expected, certainly well down on numbers seen in November, I guess the fruiting trees have passed their best and many birds have moved on.

No egrets, raptors, waders, gulls,
Spotted dove 5+
Oriental turtle dove 4, though distant
No shrikes or crows (azure-winged mag seems to be a late-autumn visitor)
Cinereous tit 4+
Yellow-bellied tit 5+ Back in Nov I saw flocks of 40+.
Chinese bulbul 6+
No warblers
WB LT 4
RB Leiothrix 6+ but of dubious provenance
Crested myna 4+
Silky starling 2+
Grey-backed thrush 3
Blackbird 12+ I did consider whether I had non mandarinus today as some did seem euro-normal birds. At times male mandarinus can appear so big and long winged they give the impression of blue whistling thrush in flight.
Tree sparrow 20+
Chinese grosbeak 6+

So overall very quiet, still to find Pale or Naumanns/dusky thrush in Nanchang
Tomorrow I will try for buntings and skulkers

Attachments

• ppark1.JPG
    ppark1.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 47
Dredger park, Tue 28 Jan 2014

Today I worked the west bank of the Han river. The area just south of Shengmi bridge is wasteland with scattered bushes, north of the bridge the area between the road and the river bank is a long stretch of manicured parkland. One part is about a km of nothing but rose gardens, it appears that the primary function is to act as an employment sink for vast numbers of workers in the spring and summer.
North of the rose gardens is a complex of shallow pools with small reedbeds. This is a superb area for Odonates in the summer, just north of the pools is a small copse with a very grand notice proclaiming it as the Nanchang International Friendship Park. The wetlands area is a magnet for engaged couples having their staged/costumed pre-wedding photos. I have encountered over a dozen couples with their photographic entourages on some days. Some call the area bridal park, I prefer the more earthy Dredger park due to the number of sand-carriers and dredgers moored up on the riverbank.
Dredger park is my local patch, it can be rewarding at peak migration time but in mid winter the birding is best described as rather thin. I think the birds recorded today represent a better-than average score for midwinter.

No ducks, egrets, raptors or waders today
Moorhen 2
Brown crake 1
Spotted dove 6+
Common kingfisher 1
LT Shrike 7
Cinereous tit 4+
Yellow-bellied tit 1+
Black-throated tit 2+ always bird of the day!
Chinese bulbul few
No warblers
Masked Laughing thrush 6+
White-browed LT two small family parties, 10+
Vinous-throated parrotbill One small flock of 15+ in the wetland reedy bits
Black-collared starling 2
Blackbird 8+
Red-flanked bluetail 1
Daurian redstart 5
Tree sparrow 100+
White wag, 5+
Olive-backed pipit 18+, flushed up onto dead trees, some nice views, nothing but OBP today
Oriental greenfinch, 4
Grosbeak sp, One distant male on a wire which I assumed was Chinese but with hindsight head pattern may have been Japanese, a species that I have not yet seen. Need to pay attention!

Chinese grosbeak flock of 3
Black-faced bunting, commonly encountered flushed out of thick scrub, saw at least 15 birds today.

Overall not a bad afternoon’s list.
Tomorrow I will try the extensive fishponds, lakes and trees of the Elephant lake area.

Attachments

• shengmi1.JPG
    shengmi1.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 52
Indeed, with a count of 45, Baer's Pochard is not yet extinct, though, like everyone, I am concerned that there may not be many years left.

I am starting to worry that Baer's may become a bit of a bogey bird for me, in Qatar it took me two winters to finally catch up with Grey Hypocolius. There is still time this winter to find a Baer's but I am starting to think next winter is more likely.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back