• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beginner birder, need help identifying (1 Viewer)

harrydlc

hello fellow birders, i am located in dalian, china and just started bird watching a few weeks ago. so far just the everyday species: sparrows, tits, magpies, bulbuls, turtledoves, common kestrel, yellow-billed grosbeak (this is a little bit more special right?)

anyways, the last two pictures (the fuzzy ones), i am not really sure what it is, it's medium sized, long pointy beak, could somebody enlighten me what this creature is? thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    838.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    776.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 61
harry, welcome to birdforum!

I believe your last two pics show a juvenile White-cheeked Starling but am not 100% sure based on your photos. Yes, the Chinese Grosbeak is a special resident breeder. Beautiful birds! There are a few more species in the Dalian area but it is the worst time of the year right now. Waders start slowly trickling south in August.

Tom

thanks a lot tom! i think you are probably right, it indeed looks like a white cheeked starling.

quick question, where do you usually go for birdwatching in dalian?

Harry,

I'm in Western Canada for the next 3 weeks. I'll be back in Dalian on July 26. I usually go birding in Jinshitan, where I live, but there are good areas in the city as well. The forested area just south of downtown can be good. Black Mountain in the development zone is good as well. The time of year is not very productive at the moment.

Let's connect when I return and I can show you some of the areas in Jinshitan!

Tom

thanks tom! i am a dalian local and i've been to these places before but just for hiking, it'd be so great to receive some insight from a veteran birder :) talk later!

Come to Laotieshan in late September/early October and you'll see that there are a few raptors around;)

The Jinzhou Bay garbage dump area has one of Asia's largest gatherings of gulls in the winter.

More than 1000 Relict Gulls near Zhuanghe in the winter.

The whole area is a fantastic place to observe migration.

I think you'll find that Dalian has a lot to offer for birding. Let's get together soon and check some of it out! I'll send you a private message with my contact details.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back