• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

Just came across your thread and have to say that I really love your sketches.
I think I'll visit your thread regularly from now on :t:.

Hope you're having a great time in Poland, now when you get back, stop editing your psots to add extra pictures, that wonderful pic with the gulls and terns wasn't there the last time I looked, and I nearly missed it. A picture of proper birdwatching, feels just like in the field.

Hiya

Just popped my nose in quickly! Thansk for your comments (lol look at that spelling) - In Zakopane at the moment - haven't done any painting yet but some nice field sketches of Blackwoodpecker, RB Shrike (am keeping proper sketchbook log so be prepared!). My shoulder's knackered basically so it's a toss up between scope/camera or binos and sketchpads at the moment - going up the 'lower foothills' of Tatra tomorrow, simply must take my paints and bugger the birds!

Speak soon

Czesc!

I really like the sketches above - especially the composition and placement of the birds. As for the freezer - I've always taken it outside to do it and it's no fun.

Hope you're having a great time in Poland, now when you get back, stop editing your psots to add extra pictures,.

lol! Well I'm back and you're going to get stuff in dribs and drabs - taken me two days just to write up report on Birding Day. Still need to scan sketch pads - have posted some fieldnotes on other thread but 'proper' sitting down sketching I'll post here

To start ball rolling:

Nutcracker (have to say I really warmed to these fellows - lots of character)

(thanks Arthur, Peter, Tamandua for your earlier comments)

Attachments

• nutcracker fieldsketch.JPG
    nutcracker fieldsketch.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 69
  • nutcrackerfieldsketch.JPG
    nutcrackerfieldsketch.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 70
  • nutcraker.JPG
    nutcraker.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 72
Well!

I have only just found this thread. I am so impressed I just don't know what to say!

Have subscribed to thread in order to keep up!

Reg.

Reg - so glad you peeped and thank you! Much appreciated - check out the other art threads too - believe me, work there of even more impressive standard! Hope to see you at Pags nearly soon x

Deborah

Your Nutcrackers are stunning, don't know if they ever make their way into the UK but would love to see one of those myself.

Looking forward to seeing more from you trip

Matt

ps, 'Starling' is sublime|:x|

Matt

Last edited:
Nice to have you back Deborah. I'm jealous, nutcracker would be a fab bird to see and sketch. You've done a great job here, the flight studies are especially good. Looking forward to more.

Woody

Thanks Woody for the kind comments - I'd love to have spent more time with them - but err, does the last one really|>| look like a Starling Matt?

a few Black Woodie sketches - will post more as I get round to scanning them

Attachments

• black woodie sk.JPG
    black woodie sk.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 68
Now Deborah, the nutcrackers are great, you've got their character spot on, and I agree they're great birds to watch, I particularly like your studies of them flying away.

Now, the problem is with the black woodpeckers, I have dreamed about sketching them perched, but only ever see them well in flight (only seen one perched for a second). You're simply not allowed to post such truly excellent and well-observed sketches of these fantastic birds, (no bluethroats either!). I hope one day, when I do get to fulfill my dream of sketching them perched that I can do them justice like you have here.

Now, the problem is with the black woodpeckers, I have dreamed about sketching them perched, but only ever see them well in flight (only seen one perched for a second). You're simply not allowed to post such truly excellent and well-observed sketches of these fantastic birds, (no bluethroats either!). I hope one day, when I do get to fulfill my dream of sketching them perched that I can do them justice like you have here.

Many thanks Nick - um, my problem was photoing them - but it was truly an amazing experience seeing not just one but a whole family feeding just metres away from me and the call is fantastic

Have posted full account here if anyone wants a read:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=63587&page=22

As for Bluethroat, if you count a robin gizz like bird with a dash of blue and red gash seen for 20 secs, then you are welcome to the quick fieldnote I made - unfortunately no time to do any proper drawings!

Attachments

• bluethroat.JPG
    bluethroat.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 65
Well ... here's one of the sketches scanned - to be honest, they all look awful now I've got home - fun at the time though, felt like i was doing the real thing for a moment but they are only rough colour sketches so hope you like! Desparate lack of time at mo' hence silly hour of posting - working and back to Uni now, so will try and keep going with uploading stuff in due course

Attachments

• kala1.JPG
    kala1.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 62
Doesn't look awful to me, in fact, quite the opposite. What fab colours, I'm feeling some jealousy coming on.

Woody

Thanks Woody, kind of you to comment! Just time to load up another page from the sketch pad to go with the page of sketches above - when I get time, I'd like to work this up into a proper painting

Attachments

• black woodpecker.JPG
    black woodpecker.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 77
I thought I knew how to be bold with colours, but I see there is a lot that you can teach me, I love the landscape, such freedom, the woodpecker is beautiful for the quality of light, a black woody that's anything but black.

You're getting some really great detailed pencil works down now, very impressed with the Dipper, Grey Wagtail and Sedge Warbler among others from your recent trip.

Did you use coloured pencils for your Black Woodpecker fieldnotes?, considering your latest efforts in pencil it would be interesting to see what you could achieve with the coloured pencils.

Matt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back