• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 8x32s in the rain (1 Viewer)

I'm another one who's thinking about buying a pair of these. I know they are not waterproof but I suspect that in practice, this isn't going to cause a problem. Some questions for anyone out there who has used these for a while: How well do they cope with being caught out in the rain? Any problems? What precautions do you take to protect them?

Many thanks

David Chandler said:
I'm another one who's thinking about buying a pair of these. I know they are not waterproof but I suspect that in practice, this isn't going to cause a problem. Some questions for anyone out there who has used these for a while: How well do they cope with being caught out in the rain? Any problems? What precautions do you take to protect them?

Many thanks

No problem in my experience, but then I close my coat over them (and me!) when it rains hard. Do you carry a camera? I don't worry on the basis that the camera and lenses, which I almost always carried, are much more vulnerable, so you have no choice but to take simple precautions. It's a habit.

These binoculars come with a plastic rain guard that fits over the eyepieces. Use it. Otherwise, do the best you can to protect them, e.g., tuck them inside your jacket or raincoat when you aren't looking through them. Then dry them off immediately after you finish birding. I've used my 10 x 42 SE's in the rain often and never had any problems. Still, if I lived in a truly damp, rainy, humid place I probably would invest in waterproof binoculars.

David Chandler said:

Many thanks
I really think this "waterproofing" is not a practical issue. I owned Zeiss Jena bins for years (8x and 10x) and water resistant they are NOT; yet never did I have a problem except once when I left the 10x in the car overnight in winter and the boot was damp. That misted them up - but overnight in a warm room and all was well. I simply must have used them loads in the rain but never a problem. My son has Optolyth Alpins and has never once had a misting up problem.

The Nikons - I don't own them but have seen them - are so much better made mechanically than the Zeiss, so I am sure that they are adequately "showerproof" for most uses. I know that if I hadn't already bought a pair of Swaros, they'd surely be on my short list!

The SEs are optically superior, for example, to both the 8 x 32 Nikon HGs and Swaro 8 x 32 ELs IMHO. These two binos are also more expensive - especially the Swaro which is nearly twice the price. If you are happy to spend more to guarantee waterproofing because that it vital for you, then you should pass the SEs by. But if you are willing to protect them sensibly in adverse conditions and the SEs feel right in your hand, then I would not hesitate to get the SEs.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back