• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenko Lens2scope (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I wonder how good these will be? I guess a lot will depend on what lens you use, with a 400mm lens for example you have 40x mag for which I would have thought you would be needing something like a 100mm dia object lens to let enough light in. Could be useful in the field for birds that are out of range for pics. BTW they will be available in several fits. Price on Amazon is £142

Last edited:
A couple more thoughts on this, I wonder how the image would stack up against 10x mag available in live view?
One user review I have seen says that with a large(ish) tele photo lens of say 300mm + focusing is very difficult as the Camera manual focussing ring is not really up to very fine focussing with this mag, although, again I guess it must be similar to live view focussing at 10x mag.
After reading THIS review I do not think I am all that keen, good IQ but can damage your lens if you are not careful.

Last edited:
I reckon a small extension tube between the adapter and lens could work - that way all you could screw up would be the tube.

I was wondering just the same thing... It does look like a handy bit of kit, I used a similar thing for an old MF lens and have been hoping to see one produced that would fit the Canon lenses. Might have to head over to WHE and test one out (when they get them in stock).

I have a Lens2Scope. I've had it on and off of my 400mm f5.6L quite a few times with out problems. If I am looking at the damage on the lens correctly it was caused by the bayonet mount not being properly alinged. The electrical contacts are on the outside of the cylinder. On a Canon Mount the contacts are flat on the end of the cylinder. There appears to be plenty of space in the Lens2Scope adapter there is no way that the contacts would touch the back of the adapter.

As for focusing, I haven't had any problems. You do need to be on a tripod to keep the lens steady. My only complaint is with the tripod mount on the Lens2Scope, is kind of plasticy. I wouldn't trust it to hold a lens and any way the weight distribution would be all wrong. Not really a problem with large lens with its own tripod mount ring but something to consider for lenses that don't.

Last edited:
I'm a birder first, with an interest for photography. I have a proper scope, a rugged waterproof, hard wearing piece of kit that gets fairly tough use in all conditions when I'm out.
I would never dream of putting a camera lens through the same amount of abuse. I guess I'm of the belief that this would not appeal to a birder!

I have a Lens2Scope. I've had it on and off of my 400mm f5.6L quite a few times with out problems. If I am looking at the damage on the lens correctly it was caused by the bayonet mount not being properly alinged. The electrical contacts are on the outside of the cylinder. On a Canon Mount the contacts are flat on the end of the cylinder. There appears to be plenty of space in the Lens2Scope adapter there is no way that the contacts would touch the back of the adapter.

As for focusing, I haven't had any problems. You do need to be on a tripod to keep the lens steady. My only complaint is with the tripod mount on the Lens2Scope, is kind of plasticy. I wouldn't trust it to hold a lens and any way the weight distribution would be all wrong. Not really a problem with large lens with its own tripod mount ring but something to consider for lenses that don't.
That's interesting Jim, I would be looking to use one with the 400/5.6 (on its own tripod ring of course) if I got one.
This would be handy as a lightweight option for those times when the birds are too far off for pics but you fancy a bit of 'birding'. I must admit I found it a bit odd that this could damage the lens mount seeing that Kenko are very big and experienced in Converters and extension tubes which both have the same type of lens mount fittings.
Just out of interest Jim have you ever tried it with an extension tube? I have seen homemade lens to scope adapters and they all seem to use an extension tube for fitting to the lens.

I got rid of my scope a long time ago when I started with photography but there are still occasional times when I wish I had one. Obviuosly this would not be up to a top rate scope but how would you rate the IQ with a 400/5.6 against a cheapish scope.
BTW I would not be using mine if I got one in anything but normal photography weather which mean dry and bright.

I'd not bother. I tried one of these earlier this week and they are very plasticky. In fact the plastic tripod foot fell off when it was being demonstrated to someone with a 100-400. I Understand that some folks don't want to be carrying around a heavy lens and a scope but this really is not an option. The image is dull and the one that I tested was not sharp and had an overall yellowish cast. I can't understand why someone would pay top money for an L lens and then attach it to a piece of equipment such as this

Just out of interest Jim have you ever tried it with an extension tube?

I just gave it a try with a 12mm Kenko extension tube with the 400mm lens and you lose infinity focus.

The only scope that I can compare it to is my Celestron Ultima 80, which has a zoom eyepiece that goes from 20x to 60x. The 400mm with a 1.4x Kenko DGX and the Lens2Scope works out to 56x. IQ wise I think that the 60x on the Celestron is quite similar to the 56x of the 400mm.

It's not a Swarovski but it does the job.

Saw it the other day and while I like the concept I fear that you have to use only top quality lenses to achieve acceptable quality at higher magnifications. At least I have a hard time imagining that it could perform very good when used together with some cheaper 70-300mm lens as they are advertising.

But still I see it as rather useful piece of equipment (even more if I'm wrong and the drop-off in quality is not that noticeable even with 70-300mm lens @ 300mm) in those situations where you simply aren't able to take all the equipment with you (i.e. long hikes, field trips and expeditions etc.) and where scope won't be of primary use but still needed. It does weigh a lot less even than smaller scopes.

If this will gain popularity than I believe that Kenko (or other manufacturers) will make also more durable (well, at least water-proof) versions.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Liveview and the magnify feature. Tripod mounted of course helps immensely but I have managed hand held and resting on things when using an IS lens. A non-IS lens would almost certainly need a tripod. I've been able to id stuff that would otherwise need a scope with a powerful mag eyepiece or the longer end of a zoom eyepiece. Also is good for just viewing something interesting far away, when I saw the Pied-billed Grebe at Hollingworth Lake it was a long way off and not doing much so I just popped on the Liveview and zoomed in on it and it was like looking through a scope but with one bonus, a lot of other people who turned up to see it were very happily gathered round my camera enjoying the views which many of them wouldn't otherwise have had. I never got any pictures that day after a long journey but all the thanks I got from a lot of people who had just come along with bins more than made up for it.

Downside is obviously the battery consumption but on a 1D battery it didn't make much of a dent. Also tracking a moving bird with it might be a tough proposition. It's a win win as far as I regard it though cos of course requires no additional spending whatsoever! One day I'll devise some kind of experiment to demonstrate just how far away it can work. Ye heathens shall be converted! ;)

Wow, why didn't I think of that? :-O Tested it through the window and I'm pleasantly surprised! Can't wait to test it in the field!
Thanks Jaff! B :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Liveview and the magnify feature. Tripod mounted of course helps immensely but I have managed hand held and resting on things when using an IS lens. A non-IS lens would almost certainly need a tripod. I've been able to id stuff that would otherwise need a scope with a powerful mag eyepiece or the longer end of a zoom eyepiece. Also is good for just viewing something interesting far away, when I saw the Pied-billed Grebe at Hollingworth Lake it was a long way off and not doing much so I just popped on the Liveview and zoomed in on it and it was like looking through a scope but with one bonus, a lot of other people who turned up to see it were very happily gathered round my camera enjoying the views which many of them wouldn't otherwise have had. I never got any pictures that day after a long journey but all the thanks I got from a lot of people who had just come along with bins more than made up for it.

Downside is obviously the battery consumption but on a 1D battery it didn't make much of a dent. Also tracking a moving bird with it might be a tough proposition. It's a win win as far as I regard it though cos of course requires no additional spending whatsoever! One day I'll devise some kind of experiment to demonstrate just how far away it can work. Ye heathens shall be converted! ;)
I have already tried that a long time ago Adam but for me it is no good because I need reading glasses for viewing the LCD whereas for distance viewing I am fine through the viewfinder. For me it was a pain in the butt having to keep putting glasses on/off.

No probs Roy. I actually quite often find myself looking over the top of my glasses when doing it being near-sighted.

Wow, why didn't I think of that? :-O Tested it through the window and I'm pleasantly surprised! Can't wait to test it in the field!
Thanks Jaff! B :)

Glad I've helped at least one person then. :t:

The sun's glare on the live view screen, compared with having your eye pressed against a scope eyepiece and a cover shutting out the light would make it less useful in my experience. But, there are times when you leave the scope at home, so it's one to bear in mind for the future, (along with taking photos with your mobile phone pressed against the scope eyepiece if you have your scope but are stuck for a camera!)

Just to tease all of you: that is one of the points where the mirrorless cameras have an advantage, live view in the EVF instead of being limited to the LCD 8-P

Niels

I saw someone using one of these 2 or 3 months ago, he was using a 300 f2.8 with 2X T/C and this (or similar) attached. I had a peek at an eagle about 200 metres away, it looked pretty good. As good as my cheap Pentax 65mm scope anyway.

I'd agree with Jaff though................liveview is a better option.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back