• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regal M2 W/Manfrotto 700RC plate problem (1 Viewer)

Bwana1

I purchased The M2 65ED and a 700RC2 fluid head, and the balance is terrible. The scope wants to fall towards me constantly, and I'm about to start digiscoping...which will certainly exasperate the issue.

Do I need a longer shoe for the bottom of the quick connect ?, it won't slide thru...the 700 has a stop in the front.

Can anyone recommend a model to purchase please, I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought a different fluid head, that was adjustable maybe..but those looked heavy and bulky.

I use the Manfrotto MVH500AH with the adjustable plate on my Regal 80 F-ED, and previously on the 65 F-ED, and it balanced both of them very well, even when digiscoping. It's a little bigger but worth it IMHO.
Les.

I use the Manfrotto MVH500AH with the adjustable plate on my Regal 80 F-ED, and previously on the 65 F-ED, and it balanced both of them very well, even when digiscoping. It's a little bigger but worth it IMHO.
Les.

M2 100ED user here with the same head as above. Works very well indeed.:t:

Thanks for the replies and info folks,,,the 700RC has been returned and a new Manfrotto MVH500AH ordered...should be here Wednesday.

The 700 was just too touchy for accurate control, and the inability to extend the plate made matters worse. I had to lock the tilt in use to even be able to use it, so fluid head smoothness was eliminated :)

B&H recommended the better MVH500AH model, and assured me I'd be happy with it...B&H is great to deal with.

Thank you again,
Eric

You will enjoy the MVH500AH. The plate has a lot of play to balance properly and the fluid head is great to follow a distant bid accurately.

Next thing would be a large Schatler or Miller tripod, but that's like nuking midges :)

You will enjoy the MVH500AH. The plate has a lot of play to balance properly and the fluid head is great to follow a distant bid accurately.

Next thing would be a large Schatler or Miller tripod, but that's like nuking midges :)

Yes I think the MVH500AH will be a marked improvement over the 700RC, my Slik carbon Pro tripod is working great for now ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back