• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring has sprung, migration binoculars? (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Hi everyone!
Spring is HERE! Migration is probably at the very least in process in the vast majority of the USA. So that means birders are BIRDING.

Just curious....What binocular or binoculars are you going to be using primarily?

Chuck:

There is no such thing as migration binoculars. You should be so lucky to hear what I have
in my backyard every day. I see and hear ducks and Canada geese living close by.
I live on a farm.

Any binocular works.

Jerry

Sightron blue sky II 8x32
Tract Toric 10x42 (as soon as they arrive) Can't wait!

Considering getting another ZR EDII 7x36. Use to have one but sold it. I loved it for close range birding. I am familiar with all the recent customer service complaints.

I like the topic Chuck! Migration is an exciting time of year for birding.

Hi everyone!
Spring is HERE! Migration is probably at the very least in process in the vast majority of the USA. So that means birders are BIRDING.

Just curious....What binocular or binoculars are you going to be using primarily?

My opticron 7x36, aka my only binocular :-O

What about you Chuck? How does someone with all the binoculars in the world decide?

My grab it and go binocular of late has been the Zeiss SF 8X42. It has become my current favorite and so I will most likely go with it for short local outings. It basically covers it all in a most excellent way.

Isn't this about the time of year that you start using your 7X with the leaves filling the trees? I am not to concerned about needles filling the cactus! :king:

As far as migration, the seasonal water fowl have mostly left and the desert summer birds, such as White-winged doves are returning.

Last edited:
Chuck:

There is no such thing as migration binoculars. You should be so lucky to hear what I have
in my backyard every day. I see and hear ducks and Canada geese living close by.
I live on a farm.

Any binocular works.

Jerry

same ones I always use
or
a good excuse to buy that pair I have been wanting

edj

Last edited:
Chuck:

I live on a farm.

Any binocular works.

Jerry

Hey Jerry.... Of COURSE any binocular will work. I really didn't have enough room in the subject to say everything I wanted. Any binocular may WORK, but you don't have a particular choice?

Swaro 10x50 SV, Toric 8x42, Meopta S2 spotter

Solid.

Sightron blue sky II 8x32
Tract Toric 10x42 (as soon as they arrive) Can't wait!

Considering getting another ZR EDII 7x36. Use to have one but sold it. I loved it for close range birding. I am familiar with all the recent customer service complaints.

I like the topic Chuck! Migration is an exciting time of year for birding.

Thanks! I've basically been seeing the same birds for 5 months... A change in scenery is nice! You should enjoy your Toric's.

My opticron 7x36, aka my only binocular :-O

What about you Chuck? How does someone with all the binoculars in the world decide?

That 7X36 should serve you well!

Haha. Flip a coin? I do try to match the binocular to the situation that I'll be birding in. This weekend I'll be going with 8X42s probably.

My grab it and go binocular of late has been the Zeiss SF 8X42. It has become my current favorite and so I will most likely go with it for short local outings. It basically covers it all in a most excellent way.

Isn't this about the time of year that you start using your 7X with the leaves filling the trees? I am not to concerned about needles filling the cactus! :king:

As far as migration, the seasonal water fowl have mostly left and the desert summer birds, such as White-winged doves are returning.

I about a month to go before I'll do the 7Xs. The trees aren't quite filled in so I'm thinking 8X42s will get the nod. Probably the EDG II or SLC for me.

Canada is getting migration too, by the way....

True! I probably should have said North America! ;) And your choice of optics?

same ones I always us
or
a good excuse to buy that pair I have been wanting

edj

EXACTLY where I was going with this. Got any in mind?

8x42 SLC-HD for general birding and surveys, 10x42 ED4 for shorebirds/waterfowl, 7x36 ED2 for incidental observations at work.

Same bins as ever.

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV for dedicated birding in the field.

This is the season of spring ephemeral butterflies, so my Zeiss 8x32 FL get a lot of double-duty use.

My Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL get much more use than usual. I carry them everywhere this time of year in case I stumble upon a good group of migrants on my walk to work or elsewhere around town.

--AP

"Thanks! I've basically been seeing the same birds for 5 months... A change in scenery is nice! You should enjoy your Toric's."

Tract Toric 10x arrived. They are amazing, I couldn't put them down!

A few yard migrants today heading your way with the Torics first use:

Baltimore Oriole
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Merlin
Least Tern
N. Rough-winged Swallow
Chimney Swift

Some good resident birds today with the Toric:

Loggerhead Shrike
Black Skimmer
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Osprey

I have been using my 8x32 Ultravids most of the time (they are so small and light), but I'd REALLY like to be using new 8x42 Noctivids (7x42 if they made them), although the NV purchase will have to wait a bit longer...

"Thanks! I've basically been seeing the same birds for 5 months... A change in scenery is nice! You should enjoy your Toric's."

Tract Toric 10x arrived. They are amazing, I couldn't put them down!

A few yard migrants today heading your way with the Torics first use:

Baltimore Oriole
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Merlin
Least Tern
N. Rough-winged Swallow
Chimney Swift

Some good resident birds today with the Toric:

Loggerhead Shrike
Black Skimmer
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Osprey

GREAT! Looks like some good ones are headed this way! :t:

Chuck,

I am "primarily" using your "old" Maven 9x45 binoculars. By primarily, I mean every planned birding outing, and by old I mean former as they are like new.

I remain absolutely thrilled with the views through these binoculars.

Thanks again,
Alan

P.S. Speaking of Spring, the other day I discovered that even Coots can be quite if they are Cootlings(?). The parents were having a heck of a time corralling them and keeping the Canada Geese away from them.

GREAT! Looks like some good ones are headed this way! :t:

More migrants heading you way. The Tract Toric 10x42 got some new birds in its glass today.

13 Warbler species:

Black-throated Blue
Priarie
Blackpoll
Cape May
American Redstart
Black and White
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Palm
Northern Parula
Worm-eating
Ovenbird
Last but not least- Blue-winged

Love this binocular

P4181869a.jpg
P4181875.JPG

Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 (me)
Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 (wife)

Just ordered first scope (Kowa 773), and cannot wait for it to arrive.

Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 (me)
Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 (wife)

Just ordered first scope (Kowa 773), and cannot wait for it to arrive.
All sound like good choices. Let's hope you really like both binoculars - because I suspect the Mrs might end up with the one she prefers, regardless of official allocation...

...Mike

All sound like good choices. Let's hope you really like both binoculars - because I suspect the Mrs might end up with the one she prefers, regardless of official allocation...

...Mike

HW,

Mike is right...good his\her 8x42's. I'll also add a reminder of those 3 little words that keep peace, love and harmony in the family.......Yes My Dear! :king: :-O

Ted

...Mike

Indeed you're right. She did make her decision without so much as a question on which I prefer! Luckily, I was happy with her choice. Really, I like both pairs of these bins quite a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back