• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine.....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Found this yesterday in the S.East on a local church spire, never been as close as this to a Peregrine (full adult or otherwise...perhaps 30+ metres distant), and took advantage of the bright light with these relatively close proximity shots. At one point it was being ''noticed'' by Jackdaws, I'd already thought a male, and and not a big one at that, perhaps a sub-adult, as I'd noted a fairly strong pinky/buff wash to ''almost'' the entire under-parts (light dependent). I've seen many Peregrines over the years albeit never as close as this bird, but never noticed one with a pinky wash, presumably a short lived transient feature?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1600408.jpeg  Pereg.10..jpg
    P1600408.jpeg Pereg.10..jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 125
  • P1600264.jpeg  Mobbed Pereg..jpeg
    P1600264.jpeg Mobbed Pereg..jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 167
  • P1600372.jpeg  Pereg.2..jpg
    P1600372.jpeg Pereg.2..jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 89
  • P1600216.jpeg  Pereg.8.jpeg
    P1600216.jpeg Pereg.8.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 110
  • P1600396.jpeg  Pereg.11..jpeg
    P1600396.jpeg Pereg.11..jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 131
Perhaps iron staining from bathing in muddy water?
I've noticed similar on urban Peregrines here.

To my eye the "even" wash seems to be covering the entire underparts from head sides and throat down to the UTC's with just symmetrical grey barring either side of chest. There is no heavy industry locally....iron staining perhaps unlikely......mmmm?

Hi Ken
nice pics, quite a few look like this in Luxembourg, others are all white or even more pinkish close to brookei, so I guess it is just the variablity of Peregrine (with many subspecies described within Europe nowadays all invalid)

Hi Ken
nice pics, quite a few look like this in Luxembourg, others are all white or even more pinkish close to brookei, so I guess it is just the variablity of Peregrine (with many subspecies described within Europe nowadays all invalid)

Cheers Tom, thought it worth flagging, don't know how frequently this type occur in the UK....perhaps it came in with the Hawfinches? ;)

All it would need is a puddle on a rusty metal roof to bathe in - heavy industry not required :t:

Having trawled the web for ''perched Peregrines'' I found a number of birds with a suffused pink/buff wash to their underparts, and have to deduce that this ''type'' as Tom pointed, out is not incompatible with birds that he has observed on the continent, thus the ''staining'' suggestion holds...''little water'' in my opinion. ;)

Couldn't find any previous records of this bird from site, thus it may be a genuine wanderer and who knows from where?

A few more images, 1st image...For Christ's sake not another photographer!

2nd image....Forgive him Father for he knows not..which ''race'' he's photographing?

Attachments

• P1600357.jpeg  Pereg.not another.jpeg
    P1600357.jpeg Pereg.not another.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 38
  • P1600363.jpeg  Pereg. forgive them.jpeg
    P1600363.jpeg Pereg. forgive them.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back