• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 400mm f5.6 v. Sigma 70-300mm (1 Viewer)

birdeast

I have the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro (brand new). I shoot almost exclusively at 300mm and 5.6, 6.3, 7.1. As I said in another post, I get some puzzling results quite frequently. I have been using a tripod for the last 2 weeks exclusively and I have almost eliminated camera shake problems. However, I notice that many images still seem to lack 'umph!' A good example is the olive-backed sunbird in my gallery. I was very close and the evening light was excellent. I got almost 40 shots off and didnt get even 1 that I thought was special. I know that I have a lot to learn as a photographer and there are probably many factors at play. Basically, I know I cant blame the equipment. By the way, I picked up the ML-L3 remote shutter control today. I will be back out this weekend seeing if this little device will give me a boost!

The question is: All things being equal, does the Sigma 400mm f5.6 outperform the 70-300mm in terms of sharpness and overall quality? I know neither option is classified as 'great' glass, but this is what I think I can afford right now. I want to keep working on my bird shooting technique and I want to have the best lens I can get for the job (while I am learning). Lastly, I have been pricing a few manual 400mm lens. Will these lens work with the D50 or is some type of modification required?

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance

Scott

Are you talking about a zoom lens here? I'm pretty sure Sigma only do a 300 or 500. If you're always shooting at the longest focal length then you should get a prime, even if that means getting one used or manual. Prime lenses will make better images. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Sigma/Nikon lenses will be able to offer you more specific advice.

Hi Stuart,

The Sigma 400mm f5.6 is a prime. I dont think they still make it, but it is still available used. I am just curious to know from someone more experienced than myself if changing from my 70-300mm to this lens would constitute a noticeable improvement

Scott

Sigma made a lot of different versions of the 400mm f5.6 - I did actually use one on a Canon D30 [it was too old to work on the later Canons and too old to be rechipped] - not sure if it was a lot better than the 70-300mm. If buying it's a good idea to check which version you're looking at - some were a bit iffy I think! I still like my Sigma 135-400mm - thats not a bad buy on a budget.

The Sigma 400mm f5.6 is no longer made,i`ve seen them 2nd hand recently for about £260.00.Usually a prime lens will out perform a zoom the Sigma 135-400mm lens is the one I use & yes it`s a good lens in that price range.

Cheers Steve.

I reckon the critical point of focus of your Sunbird shot is not quite on the head and this is perhaps why it hasn't got that 'oomph' factor.

As mentioned above, there are several Sigma 400mm prime lenses dating all the way back to the 1970s!

I'm not sure about how much compatibility there is with the D50 - certainly they'll all fit, but the manual-focus ones, for instance, will not have any meter-activating function (I think you'll need one of the 'pro'-series Nikon bodies and at least AIS-type lens mount - perhaps a Nikon owner can clarify for you).

I would certainly go for one of the 'APO' models as these will have superior open-aperture performance, which gives you the option of faster shutter-speeds and, possibly, aids auto-focus speed fractionally.

Their first 400mm APO actually came out in the late '70s and, as it was more expensive than other independent makers' models, it was not a success commercially, although it performed well. I would think one of these manual-focus lenses would be about a collectors' item nowadays!

It was a decade later that they tried again and made a 'Canon-look-alike' light grey model in both manual and auto-focus models. I have one of these in Olympus OM-fit and I reckon it was clearly better than the Zuiko 300mm that I bought it to replace.

Mine still feels quite 'solid' (apart from the sliding lens-hood) but I think they had a problem with the lens mount working loose on some versions so they took the opportunity to upgrade it, at the same time 'stiffening' the extremely light manual focus and adding their then new 'Zen,' black finish. Thes are very compact light-weight lenses for their spec and have a minimum focus distance of 4 metres.

The last model, the Apo-Macro version, came out in the mid-nineties and is completely re-designed with a 1:3 macro ratio and a bigger, heavier body with a substantial manual focus ring making it look like a zoom lens. I have one of these as well (no, I'm not a 400mm-collector!) in Canon fit and I reckon it'll give any similar lens a good run for its' money! OK, I know someone will say that tests show others are better but in practical terms it's good enough for most situations!

OK...I got a second chance to get a lens

After spending the last 2 weeks pondering what lens I should have gotten to start with, I got a chance to get 'THAT' lens.

Went out to do a little photography this morning and found that my Sigma 70-300mm would not zoom....The ring just turned with no effect. I went back to the dealer I bought the lens from about a month ago and he said he would replace it on 'TUESDAY' :-C Man...I have Sunday and day off on Monday for photography....Tuesday just wouldn't work.

So

I bought the Sigma 100-300mm f4 APO DG EX (received credit from the other lens toward this one). I spent more than I ever intended to, but I am convinced that this lens will take me a long way. I have read and heard many good things and relatively little negative about this lens and have to say I am extremely happy with with the internal, fast, smooth focus. Tomorrow, I look forward to getting to know this lens.

Sigh...There goes my spotting scope, my weekend in Malaysia, lunches for the next 6 months, and any chance at a civil discussion with my wife for the foreseeable future.

No sweat....I got my lens :cool:

I also use a Sigma APO 400 5.6 that has been rechipped for a Canon 20d although not quite in the same league as the Canon400 it still takes excellent shots.They make excellent second hand buys.

Found new Sigma 400mm f5.6

The shop where I purchase my equipment here in Singapore has 2 Sigma 400mm f5.6 lenses (new). They are both 77mm. The sad part for me is they are both Canon mount. The price is approximately S$900 (roughly US$550)

I was pretty shocked to see these lenses after reading all the posts about them being out of production. If they had had a Nikon mount, I would have purchased that instead of my Sigma 100-300mm....

So....If you want this lens and happen to visit Singapore, there you go :cool:

Scott

I bought a used Sigma 400 mm 5.6 APO Tele Macro of eBay for 418$. In ignorance I almost bought a non-APO lens which probably would have been a disaster.
I didn't buy the HSM lens, which I'm a bit annoyed with now, because I didn't think I would be doing much autofocusing anyway. But I do.

I've used it with both Nikon F80 and now Nikon D70, and I'm happy with the lens. Most of the bird pictures here ( http://www.faroenature.net/gallery ) have been taken with that lens. Nothing amazing, but I've just bought the D70 recently and I know that it's not the lens or the camera that needs to be any better.

Janus said:
I bought a used Sigma 400 mm 5.6 APO Tele Macro of eBay for 418$. In ignorance I almost bought a non-APO lens which probably would have been a disaster.
I didn't buy the HSM lens, which I'm a bit annoyed with now, because I didn't think I would be doing much autofocusing anyway. But I do.

I've used it with both Nikon F80 and now Nikon D70, and I'm happy with the lens. Most of the bird pictures here ( http://www.faroenature.net/gallery ) have been taken with that lens. Nothing amazing, but I've just bought the D70 recently and I know that it's not the lens or the camera that needs to be any better.

I think Sigma only made the HSM version in Canon and Sigma mounts, anyway - at the time of production, other cameras had the focus motor in the camera body, although Nikon now do some 'silent wave' lenses.

birdeast said:
The shop where I purchase my equipment here in Singapore has 2 Sigma 400mm f5.6 lenses (new). They are both 77mm. The sad part for me is they are both Canon mount. The price is approximately S$900 (roughly US$550)

I was pretty shocked to see these lenses after reading all the posts about them being out of production. If they had had a Nikon mount, I would have purchased that instead of my Sigma 100-300mm....

So....If you want this lens and happen to visit Singapore, there you go :cool:

Scott

Beware buying this lens in Canon-fit nowadays as it might not be possible to get it 're-chipped' for a more recent camera body. That's probably why they can't sell them!

It's a shame that Sigma don't still make it as it's a very good quality lens and the 1:3 macro is a real boon for those into butterfly and dragonfly photography.

what about the Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO Tele Macro Lens? it is supposed to fit Canon EOS? will it work with my canon 350d (rebel xt) do you think?

Curt the 400 F5.6 APO tele macro will only work on any Canon digital camera if it has been rechipped by Sigma.They are no longer rechipping and havent in the UK for over a year now.Some Sigma lenses will saometimes work wide open but if youy try stopping down the lens then it throws up error 99.So if buying one of these excellent lenses make sure it been rechipped.

Lens Adapting?

undefinedundefinedundefined
Adey Baker said:
I reckon the critical point of focus of your Sunbird shot is not quite on the head and this is perhaps why it hasn't got that 'oomph' factor.

As mentioned above, there are several Sigma 400mm prime lenses dating all the way back to the 1970s!

I'm not sure about how much compatibility there is with the D50 - certainly they'll all fit, but the manual-focus ones, for instance, will not have any meter-activating function (I think you'll need one of the 'pro'-series Nikon bodies and at least AIS-type lens mount - perhaps a Nikon owner can clarify for you).

I would certainly go for one of the 'APO' models as these will have superior open-aperture performance, which gives you the option of faster shutter-speeds and, possibly, aids auto-focus speed fractionally.

Their first 400mm APO actually came out in the late '70s and, as it was more expensive than other independent makers' models, it was not a success commercially, although it performed well. I would think one of these manual-focus lenses would be about a collectors' item nowadays!

It was a decade later that they tried again and made a 'Canon-look-alike' light grey model in both manual and auto-focus models. I have one of these in Olympus OM-fit and I reckon it was clearly better than the Zuiko 300mm that I bought it to replace.

Mine still feels quite 'solid' (apart from the sliding lens-hood) but I think they had a problem with the lens mount working loose on some versions so they took the opportunity to upgrade it, at the same time 'stiffening' the extremely light manual focus and adding their then new 'Zen,' black finish. Thes are very compact light-weight lenses for their spec and have a minimum focus distance of 4 metres.

The last model, the Apo-Macro version, came out in the mid-nineties and is completely re-designed with a 1:3 macro ratio and a bigger, heavier body with a substantial manual focus ring making it look like a zoom lens. I have one of these as well (no, I'm not a 400mm-collector!) in Canon fit and I reckon it'll give any similar lens a good run for its' money! OK, I know someone will say that tests show others are better but in practical terms it's good enough for most situations!

HI:LENS-BABY here,some knowledge of what tele-photo or zoom lenses other than the specific ones for my OLYMPUS E-500, new to DSLR so finding my feet,bought camera as a kit with 2 lenses pictbridge printer, carry bag and 1gig cf card, since then got 35mm macro lens,wanted 50mm, knowone has 1?? puzzling i thought.will any of the sigma or tamrons fit,thought i'd pik on sumone who knowzzz what there on.Any info would b grateful thanks,A.L. PS:i''l pu some of my attempts on the forum when i get them sorted.maybe sum other birders can help too. T.T.F.N

Sigma 400mm+Canon 350d compatibility

Graham,

Thank you. What do you think of the claims on the following site?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220030450048&fromMakeTrack=true

Curt

Ragna said:
Curt the 400 F5.6 APO tele macro will only work on any Canon digital camera if it has been rechipped by Sigma.They are no longer rechipping and havent in the UK for over a year now.Some Sigma lenses will saometimes work wide open but if youy try stopping down the lens then it throws up error 99.So if buying one of these excellent lenses make sure it been rechipped.

CurtMorgan said:
Graham,

Thank you. What do you think of the claims on the following site?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220030450048&fromMakeTrack=true

Curt

Curt,

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware, as they say!

There's no problem regarding the optical quality of this lens but compatibility issues are only really resolved if this lens has been re-chipped by Sigma. I have one of these lenses (the latest, HSM version) and I had it re-chipped and I still have the paperwork from Sigma to prove it, so if I was selling it this would be at the top of my list.

Kurt as Adey says there may be compatibility issues. This is exactly the Sigma lens i had its the model before Adey's so is not HSM so you can hear it focus, not really to much of a problem.The advert seems to contradict it self by stating that it may only work on some canon digital cameras wide open that are not already mentioned and then lists all the canon digital cameras ever made.You could possibly email the seller to find out if it has been rechipped and will they warranty that it will work at all apertures.You dont want to be stuck only able to use 5.6 because as good as this lens canbe if you stop down to f6.3 or f8 its a very sharp lens.Also like Adey i had mine rechipped by sigma and also had the paper work when it was sold by a dealer who warrantied it for 6 months.Sold for£250 $460, so it maybe worth looking for one from a dealer that will offer a warranty.Hope you find one.

Thanks so much you guys. You are amazing. I will do just as you have said. I certainly can't afford to throw around $500 on a lens that won't work well with my 350d. I appreciate you both!

Ragna said:
Kurt as Adey says there may be compatibility issues. This is exactly the Sigma lens i had its the model before Adey's so is not HSM so you can hear it focus, not really to much of a problem.The advert seems to contradict it self by stating that it may only work on some canon digital cameras wide open that are not already mentioned and then lists all the canon digital cameras ever made.You could possibly email the seller to find out if it has been rechipped and will they warranty that it will work at all apertures.You dont want to be stuck only able to use 5.6 because as good as this lens canbe if you stop down to f6.3 or f8 its a very sharp lens.Also like Adey i had mine rechipped by sigma and also had the paper work when it was sold by a dealer who warrantied it for 6 months.Sold for£250 $460, so it maybe worth looking for one from a dealer that will offer a warranty.Hope you find one.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back