• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma Lens Prices (1 Viewer)

Maybe not.

I can see the marketing guys at Nikon being pretty happy with Sigma here, because at a stroke, they've removed a very good reason not to buy the Nikon D40/D40X/D60.

None of these have in-camera AF drives, meaning that there was little or no affordable way to use them in a birding context, because there were no affordable long lenses with in-lens AF - only the Sigma 80-400mm OS and 50-500mm really, and neither are cheap.

(I believe that Tamron are now in the frame too, but I know little about their current range).

Now, you can have a 400mm or 500mm lens with OS and HSM that won't break the bank, and the D40, D40X and D60 are back in the birding game.

There's also now a realistic upgrade path for users of those cameras who want to get into (say) sports photography.

Maybe not again Keith. ;)

I thought the point of these lenses lacking the AF motor was to force people to buy more Nikon lenses (few Sigma telephotos having the HSM), they even do cashback when you got one with a Nikon lens.

If you wanted to go Nikon for bird photography you'd have been forced to buy the more expensive bodies and you'd still have got a Sigma lens to start you off. Now you can get a cheaper body and have more money to buy the latest Sigma lenses, better glass beating better camera.

Result - less money for Nikon & more for Sigma. I suppose like most things in life it's just a matter of perspective.

Cheers. B :)
Adam

What I find strange about the pricing of the new 150-500 is that it is very similar to the Bigma. If the 150-150 turns out to be as good as the Bigma for IQ then surely the Bigma is a dead duck. On the other hand if the new 150-500 is not as good as the Bigma then it is not going to sell that well is it?
Must admit that when it was announced I was hoping for a good quality (not to heavy) 500mm birding lens with IS but at the price they have pitched it I am very dubious - I guess time will tell.

I suspect the 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM is going to surprise a few people. The decision to replace the 80-400mm OS zoom so quickly is astonishing - certainly puts other manufacturers to shame. Losing 40mm should allow the performance at the long end to be significantly improved and if it was already good it should now be even better.

I suspect the 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM is going to surprise a few people. The decision to replace the 80-400mm OS zoom so quickly is astonishing - certainly puts other manufacturers to shame. Losing 40mm should allow the performance at the long end to be significantly improved and if it was already good it should now be even better.

I should think that buyers will have a great choice of options now with both the new Sigma's 120-400, 150-500 and the old 80-400 OS still on dealers shelves (even if it's being discontinued), you can never have too many options, providing the prices are right. Lots of us will be awaiting the reviewers findings with great interest.

Bill

i look forward to the reviews on these lenses as i was thinking of upgrading my bigma to a lens with os but did not want to pay canon prices
mick

Bill

Are you looking to buy one of these? If so tell me and I could do the same in an effort to persuade a local shop to do a deal on the two? ;);)

I should think that buyers will have a great choice of options now with both the new Sigma's 120-400, 150-500 and the old 80-400 OS still on dealers shelves (even if it's being discontinued), you can never have too many options, providing the prices are right. Lots of us will be awaiting the reviewers findings with great interest.

Seems like a lot of the same to me. Give me some prime options. Already got a zoom, certainly -don't want another....

Seems like a lot of the same to me. Give me some prime options. Already got a zoom, certainly -don't want another....

I agree. A 400mm F5.6 with OS would be great.

Re prices. These 2 new lenses have got to be about the same price range as the older 80-400 (give or take) or nobody will buy them. It's as simple as that.

There's absolutely nothing on Japanese camera online stores yet. Not a peep. I'd imagine they'd be on sale here first. The 80-400 is still being advertised at around ¥140,000 (that's about 650-700 GBP) with no markdowns yet. The Canon 100-400 is around ¥210,000 for comparison's sake.

If the price of the new 120-400 is similar to the older OS model and the 150-500 is only slightly more they've got to be worth a look. I've been using the Canon 100-400 on loan this winter and have to return it soon so will be in the market for a new lens around the time these may be released.

Anyway I predict there'll be a bit of a delay with these lenses hitting the shops. I read somewhere else on the net (third hand info I know but that's all we have at the moment) that there were problems with the AF when somebody tested them at that big exhibition in Vegas. And like I say the silence in Japan is deafening......

Bill

Are you looking to buy one of these? If so tell me and I could do the same in an effort to persuade a local shop to do a deal on the two? ;);)

Steve,

We shall have to be a little patient, the spokesman on the Sigma stand at Focus on Imaging showed me both prototype models, they had been at the PMA Show in the USA, and from the Focus Show they were I believe due to go to a show in Germany. In the meantime Sigma Japan are fine-tuning what they hope will be the finished lenses for release in late April or early May, Sigma are usually on the mark with releases.

If the more reliable reviews are favourable I may just part exchange my trusty Sigma 135-400 APO, but your idea is sound, at present it's a little early to commit.

Best Wishes,

Bill

PS. Which model were you considering?

Dont think it will be any where near as cheap in the UK - it is advertise for £799 which is around $1500.

Blimey, rip off Britain strikes again. :C

BTW Manchester to JFK return mid May £342. Perhaps ours are being wrapped up in velvet and individually imported by hand from the US ;)

Blimey, rip off Britain strikes again. :C

BTW Manchester to JFK return mid May £342. Perhaps ours are being wrapped up in velvet and individually imported by hand from the US ;)
To be honest I am very surprised at that US price because I have read on several sites that the US RRP will be around $1500 and the street price could be as low as $1200.

EDIT Just notice the re-sellers link and it looks as if the US store are rip-off merchants. My Latin is not good :king:

Last edited:
To be honest I am very surprised at that US price because I have read on several sites that the US RRP will be around $1500 and the street price could be as low as $1200.

Hard to say... 42nd Photo's reseller rating is ~7.5 which is generally a good score - not great. There are some raters that feel they're a bait & switch thus my caveat emptor...:smoke:

In addition to the price point will be the IQ/performance capabilities that are still yet to be determined..;)

Hard to say... 42nd Photo's reseller rating is ~7.5 which is generally a good score - not great. There are some raters that feel they're a bait & switch thus my caveat emptor...:smoke:

In addition to the price point will be the IQ/performance capabilities that are still yet to be determined..;)
The score is not bad but have you read some of the reviews - makes you wonder if the scores are boasted by some 'friendly' reviewers. A lot of reviews say they are Crooks and others say they are the best thing since sliced bread!

Last edited:
Already got a zoom, certainly -don't want another...

Zoom or prime is irrelevant if the IQ and other performance features are as good as you need them to be.

Indeed, it'd be daft not to want a zoom (infinitely more versatile) if it was up there in terms of IQ. Wanting a prime because it's a prime makes no sense.

the lenses are not in the "EX" category, so,the quality will be not so great.
That justify the relative low prices.

the lenses are not in the "EX" category, so,the quality will be not so great.
That justify the relative low prices.
There as been a lot of debate about this on various forums and it has been mentioned that Sigma are dropping the 'EX' category and making all new lenses to the same 'EX' standard.
Having said that I agree that the price seems too low for a good quality 500mm IS lens even though it is a slow f6.3 - time will tell.

I am sure that if anyone made a goodish quality 500mm f5.6 (or maybe f6.3) IS lens for around the £1500 mark it would sell very well (a poor mans 500mm f4 and it would be a lot lighter than the f4).

Last edited:
New Sigma's

Image quality is the obvious benchmark, and if these new Sigma lenses have good IQ they will sell by the lorry load, regardless of whether they sport the EX label or not. Trusted review's will soon find any apparent flaws in modern lens image quality, the lens designers and lens manufactures quality control department's know they cannot get away with making 'crap' lenses anymore...on the net news travel's fast and there are simply too many good photograpic equipment user's out there for poor lens IQ to go unnoticed.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back