• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope ED82: what bothers me... (1 Viewer)

andreax1985

...How does it happen that Nikon Fieldscope ED82 is considered in the same league of Zeiss Diascope, Swarowski HD or Kowa Prominar while it's price is less than half of the prices of the others top-class scopes ( about 1000 euros vs 2200 euros)? We all know that in optics the saying "you get what you pay for" is truer than ever...

Last edited:
I don’t know how it is that the ED82 is so much less expensive than the other scopes of similar optical quality, but I would say that “you get what you pay for” often turns out to be false in optics.

As to an “older, heavier design” partly explaining the price difference, the Kowa with 20-60x zoom, the Zeiss with 20-75x zoom, and the Leica w/ 25-50x zoom, all weigh more than the ED82 together with its (admittedly narrow-field) zoom. Granted, in each of these cases the body of the scope is lighter than the ED82 body (which I suppose may be because of an older design in the case of the Nikon) but the heavier eyepieces of the others end up more than making up for it in weight.

Last edited:
It is true that the ED82 is an older model.Nikon new scopes are the EDG models and they are as expensive or more than the new offers of Z,SW,Le or Kowa....So You would have to compare the ED82 with models of its same era..the older Leica televid,the Older diascope the first aluminum swaros or the Kowa 82 series..If You could find them New ,the price difference probably would not be as steep....
It has been some mention about the prism design of the ED82 angled ,being simple and very efficient..not needing phase coating or reflective surfaces in either angled or straigh models(a Schmidt prism in the A and a porro prism in the S )maybe the price can also be slightly lower...So maybe a slight disadvantage in weight and bulk is what made the ED82 the best value in the high class of spotting scopes

Well, yes, the ED82 is an older *model*, having come out in 2003, I believe. Perhaps that in itself explains the price differential, with people being readier to buy things that are new. Whether its design is older, I don't know, but you may be right that its design makes it less expensive to make.

And it is longer than the other scopes mentioned, so it is bulkier in that sense. But, in the field, with the eyepieces in, it doesn't have a weight disadvantage compared to the other scopes mentioned that are currently available.

Based only on what I’ve read about this scope from seemingly knowledgeable people on this forum, it sounds like it’s still the best value in the high class of spotting scopes.

I've already read it, and besides the narrower field of view of the zoom ep the Nikon seems to stand optically up there with the other top-class scopes... At a fraction of the price... This is what puzzles me...[/QUOTE

Even more of a bargain when you could get the zoom eyepiece from the States for £50 a couple of years ago. Top lens.

...How does it happen that Nikon Fieldscope ED82 is considered in the same league of Zeiss Diascope, Swarowski HD or Kowa Prominar while it's price is less than half of the prices of the others top-class scopes ( about 1000 euros vs 2200 euros)? We all know that in optics the saying "you get what you pay for" is truer than ever...

For the same reason that the SE and EII are as good to look through as the SV, HD, FL, etc.; Nikon used a beautiful, simple design.

It's by no means the perfect scope, rather a different set of compromises than the others. Like many on this forum, I regret Nikon didn't restrain themselves to putting in the best new glass and coatings, and maybe redesigning the zoom to get more light through it [ok, and a bigger ocular for those who aren't as short-sighted as I am!], instead of making a whole new scope that puts [so it seems] form over function.

My opinion is, EDG scopes is for different market mainly bird photographers and ED series for general birders hence the price between two is huge considering the price of the DSLR adapter ~ FSA-L2 for EDG is double than the FSA-L1 for ED series, when you start taking pictures through the scope.

To your question, there are many influences why the disparity in the prices may be what they are where you live and most have nothing to do with manufacturing costs. Also, Nikon's kind of goofy, generally. Exhibit A, look at the differences in Nikon's own ED and EDG lines. The EDG is about the last scope I would buy.

As to your statement, it is way too simplistic a statement to say, and believe, "you get what you pay for". I not even sure what that means. I presume you mean that spending more gets you better stuff. I won't even start to go there, but I'll just say (IMO), not necessarily and... by what amount and... by who's standard and... for what purpose?

Regarding the ED82, it's a great scope. No secrets here though, most that have been around a bit know this. The zoom(s) are the biggest letdown in the system, as compared to L, S, and K, but still pretty good. The fixed EPs are great. Add an ED50 and a couple of those cool fixed EPs and you'll have a super combo for just about any purpose you'd want a spotting scope for.

Last edited:

I think there are mainly two reasons. First development expenses may comparable low with the ED82. The full line of Fieldscope EPs did already exist, when the ED82 came out. It was the same with its prism and focusser unit which is the same with the ED60, that came out a couple of years before. So they did need to develop as new only the scope's objective and a bigger lens housing. I think in some way the ED82 was only an upgrade of the ED78. The other factor may be an economical one. If one wants to to gain market shares from competitors there are in general two possibilities: a better price or better performance. At the time of early 2000, Nikon was facing a lot of alpha competition with new advanced zoom-eyepieces. It is said that more than nine of ten buyers of spotting scopes do want to use only a zoom-ep. So perhaps they had at Nikon no other choice than trying to compete over the price.

Steve

Last edited:
Actually nobody can give the definite answer to your question. But it is a fact proven many times that this scope is a bargain. Whether there are differences in production costs, expenses for R&D, profit margins, who knows? Maybe yes, maybe not. (As far as I can see the Nikon sport optics departement definitely saves on sales promotion...)

But one thing is clear to me, at least here in Europe: Nikon is completely lacking in brand image on the scope and binocular market. Everybody here knows and appreciates the big 3 (Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski) but Nikon cannot sell its reputation aquired on the photo sector here. Together with the partly outdated design (narrow zoom, screw-in eyepieces, small tripod socket, lack of armoring) this MIGHT be the reason for its significantly lower price.

So be it! "I'll give you my Nikon ED82A when you can pry it loose from my cold, dead hand!" ;)

...How does it happen that Nikon Fieldscope ED82 is considered in the same league of Zeiss Diascope, Swarowski HD or Kowa Prominar while it's price is less than half of the prices of the others top-class scopes ( about 1000 euros vs 2200 euros)?..

I have absolutely no idea. But I've owned the Nikon ED82A, the (silver) Zeiss Diascope, and the Swarovski ATS80HD. The Nikon ED82 is optically in the same class as the other two, no doubt about it. I changed it because I wanted a wider-field zoom, no other reason. I prefer the helical focussing of the Nikon, and I can't remember but I think it was actually shorter than the other two. I don't remember it being any heavier. If you want a top-class scope, with superb fixed eyepieces, and you don't mind a narrow but very sharp and bright zoom up to 75x, you will not be disappointed with the Nikon ED82A.

Wow Sancho you make me want one of the Nikon 82ED spotters, er wait I do have the Nikon 60mm ED Fieldscope and the 50ED Fieldscope.;) I do want one though.

I have absolutely no idea. But I've owned the Nikon ED82A, the (silver) Zeiss Diascope, and the Swarovski ATS80HD. The Nikon ED82 is optically in the same class as the other two, no doubt about it. I changed it because I wanted a wider-field zoom, no other reason. I prefer the helical focussing of the Nikon, and I can't remember but I think it was actually shorter than the other two. I don't remember it being any heavier. If you want a top-class scope, with superb fixed eyepieces, and you don't mind a narrow but very sharp and bright zoom up to 75x, you will not be disappointed with the Nikon ED82A.

I agree. To my hands the helical focusser of the ED82 fits better than any other scope's focusser due to its ergonomical, slightly convex shape. Its focus wheel is the only one that allows at least me to do the palm grip. IMO the speed of the focusser is also very suitable because with this it's possible to focus at almost any distance without the need to unhand the focusser while doing so.

Steve

Last edited:

I wonder how the old ED82 would compare to the newest Victory Zeiss Diascope 85, optically speaking...

A good unit certainly would compare favorably. If eyepiece charcteristics are set aside and the scopes are judged on resolving power and correction of the axial aberrations alone, then the Nikon can be essentially as good as any scope of its aperture. I've read reports of individual Nikon scopes with better than 1/8 wave optics. Very few birding scopes are that good. Personally I've never seen a Diascope that good, but I have seen some poor Dyascopes with optics worse than 1/2 wave. As always the individual specimen, not the model, will determine how good the scope you buy will be, but it can be said that the design of the Nikon ED82 does not compromise the potential optical quality, if you get a good one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back