• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aussie birds and fish artwork (1 Viewer)

Trevor Hawkins

I've just joined the forum and thought i'd share a few of my artworks. hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3969_2.jpg
    IMG_3969_2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3967_2.jpg
    IMG_3967_2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3945.jpg
    IMG_3945.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 136
Thanks mate, i appreciate that. My work mainly sees me painting fish but i do enjoy sketching birds, especially the little wrens. I'm currently working on a largish black and white pen artwork of Australia's largest eagle species, the wedge-tailed eagle.

a couple more Aussie birds

Here's a couple of more little watercolours i've done. One is of a Gang Gang Cockatoo, the smaller sketch is of a Black Fronted Plover. I hope you enjoy them.
IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

Sweet! I've been super scared of watercolours all my life. I just started daring to paint some splashes now and then. I hope mine will look this nice one day. What kind of brush do you use for the Gang gang's fuzzy feathers? (if I may ask)

Very fine sable watercolour brushes. I'm using watercolour and guoache (opaque watercolour) so i build up transparent larger areas and then work up to more detailed feathers as on the gang gangs head with less watery guoache if that makes sense?

Thanks, yes I know what you mean. Maybe it would be less intimidating if I also used gouache. It would allow me to cover some errors to some degree :)

Thanks, yes I know what you mean. Maybe it would be less intimidating if I also used gouache. It would allow me to cover some errors to some degree :)

Maybe you could 'dip your toe in' so to speak by doing a slightly more detailed pen sketch as you are now, but on hot pressed watercolour paper and then putting in some coloured wash?
That fish i've show in my first post has been done in this fashion. By doing this you can build up the structure of the bird and painting and then the colour simply enhances. This might give you confidence perhaps to use more and more colour without the pen if you wanted?
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back