• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummer question (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Hi all,

I had this question in the ID forum and was not successful in getting a response. The bottom picture of both comparisons are of a Black-chinned female. The top in each shot is of a bird said to be a BC. I see a significant difference between the two. Do you agree that the top bird is not a BC or better yet, can't be determined by what is supplied.

Attachments

• question a.jpg
    question a.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 105
  • question b.jpg
    question b.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 106
Hi all,

I had this question in the ID forum and was not successful in getting a response. The bottom picture of both comparisons are of a Black-chinned female. The top in each shot is of a bird said to be a BC. I see a significant difference between the two. Do you agree that the top bird is not a BC or better yet, can't be determined by what is supplied.

In my limited experience with Black-chinneds, which was (admittedly) almost entirely with juveniles over last summer, their wings look very dark when folded up.
Having spent the last six months taking photos of hummers, I'm wondering if the top photos are simply way over-exposed, because the green feathers on the back of the bird also seem to be very pale in comparison to the known Black-chinned.
Not sure you're ever going to know for certain if the top one is a BC, though, even if you can tweak the exposure - and maybe the color saturation, too - on those photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back