• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish ID, Australian (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Need ID on this for a mate. Caught in the sea off coast of Australian west coast last winter.

Attachments

• kevsmotherinlawfish.jpg
    kevsmotherinlawfish.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 86
Hi Buzzard
Since no one else has answered this, I'll give it a shot.
I think that it is a seaperch or cod (Family Serranidae). It doesn't look exactly like anything pictured in "Sea fishes of Southern Australia" being particularly deep-bodied, but probably most like a Breaksea Cod Epinephelides armatus- "Inhabits coastal reefs of south-western Australia, where it is commonly encountered by both anglers and divers.... colour extremely variable." record size 2.9 kg, 55cm, good eating.

Hi Buzzard
Since no one else has answered this, I'll give it a shot.
I think that it is a seaperch or cod (Family Serranidae). It doesn't look exactly like anything pictured in "Sea fishes of Southern Australia" being particularly deep-bodied, but probably most like a Breaksea Cod Epinephelides armatus- "Inhabits coastal reefs of south-western Australia, where it is commonly encountered by both anglers and divers.... colour extremely variable." record size 2.9 kg, 55cm, good eating.

Thanks Pete,
Have had real trouble identifying this with any certainty, though a cod does seem most likely. there are a huge amount of species dowm there to get through and I have spent hours on various sites trying to nail this one down without a hit...

Thanks again for the answer, much appreciated...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back