• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows 10 - tech question (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all,
on my win10 PC (older but still running) I have avast installed as antivirus. It came up today with something about the machine running slowly, >40 programs started, 5 system errors, etc (this is from memory, some details may be a little off). It even offered to fix the presumed problems (I do not know if for free or with additional paid download). So questions:

How do you within windows see what is running and possible change the behavior?
Would you trust Avast to fix those kind of problems, and if not what are best current alternatives? Anything for free?

thanks
Niels

Hello all,
on my win10 PC (older but still running) I have avast installed as antivirus. It came up today with something about the machine running slowly, >40 programs started, 5 system errors, etc (this is from memory, some details may be a little off). It even offered to fix the presumed problems (I do not know if for free or with additional paid download). So questions:

Would you trust Avast to fix those kind of problems, and if not what are best current alternatives? Anything for free?

thanks
Niels
I also run windows 10 and have avast free. I also got that (or similar) message to open it...........but it just led me to the full/paid version. So I aborted and continue with what I have. I am advised that it is sufficient to keep me protected.
Cant help you with the rest as I'm a bit fick on computers 8-P

To see what is running use the 3 finger salute
Ctrl Alt Del
Press each key one after the other but keep them held down as you do it.
If your dexterous you can push them all at the same time.
This opens the Windows Task Manager.
Have a look through the tabs.
The info may or may not mean something to you :)
To track changes you will need to use another piece of 3rd party software, I don't know W10 well enough to recommend any.
I'd ignore the message, Avast provide a pretty cool piece of software for free and have to try and get folks to upgrade to the paid version.

Hello all,

thanks
Niels

Personally I do not trust Avast or any other third party anti-virus (like mcAffee or Notron). I'm pretty sure that these applications do their very best to make you worry about the health status of your computer. Also when the expire date of the trial or paid license is approaching, they speak of scary things that might happen when you do not extend a license (and pay some money of course).

What many Windows users do not know is that Microsoft is offering its own Antivirus, free, its pre-installed and its called Windows Defender.

On the internet, there is a lot of information telling you that Windows Defender cannot compete with all the features of the other third party applications like Avast (like browser protection etc.) but in my opinion that is not true. I believe this information is often sponsored by the related vendors.

I'm a software developer, so I use my computer a lot. And for the last 12 years I'll manage with the anti-virus software Microsoft provides me. It has no commercial meanings since you have already paid for your Windows License, it just wants to protect your client.

There is a thing that you should keep in mind,.. if any website or installer unexpectedly offers you to fix issues or make your computer faster, do not trust it. If any installer of an application offers to install the best browser toolbar in the universe,... do not trust it. So only install software if you are confident about what it does.

When your computer is starting to get really slow. Uninstall every application that you no longer need,.. if it is still slow then you should re-install your computer with Windows.

Here is a link for more information about Windows Defender.

... and no,.. I do not work for Microsoft 8-P

Thank you all.

I have read every post as they appeared, just did not get around to add my thank you earlier -- it is, however, a big thank you.

Niels

Many free software offer a service that works for a while, then quits working while offering you the commercial version of the same.

I've run Windows 10 for some months now. It isnot slower than Windows 7. It does have annoying picture and music software apps that duplicate what you may have used before. I deleted some apps just because they were grabbing my music and duplicating it inside itself etc.

Right clicking on the Taskbar brings up a menu that allows you to open the Task Manager or you can type in msconfig in the Start Menu run/Search field. msconfig brings up System Configuration which offers access to Services, the same as in the Task Manager, from there you can disable or end the application.

msconfig allows you to view your Startup programs/application....those icons on the right side of the Taskbar by the clock, some application are not shown there. I always keep my Startups to a minimum; antivirus, task schedulers, and java updater, everything else can be started when needed by clicking on Disktop or Start Menu icons when you need them.

Also it behooves you to view your installed programs on a regular bases. At times when you install something it comes with other junk that gets installed along with it. Sometimes you're aware of it and sometimes you're not. Go to the Start Menu and find the Control Panel, open it and find the Program and Features, click on Uninstall or change a program. This opens all the programs on your machine. Find the date column and click on that until your programs are displayed in the most recent order by date. Obviously, you can now delete what you don't want.

There's an aftermarket program that allows you to do most all of this plus clean your machine of history, cookies, tempt folders and stuff like that. It's called ccleaner, it's an open source freeware.

You can also access Windows Defender via the Control Panel. I second the testament; I use it and it works great, never had problems or conflicting issues.

Anyway, hope this helps in someway.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back