• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best 8x32 roof? (1 Viewer)

Fireform

My thoughts have turned once again to the optics of these waterproof quasi-compacts, and after having sold my 8x32 Zeiss FLs some time ago I find myself once more restlessly tempted.

My experience has been that the small FLs came up distinctly short of their big brothers optically, and the same could be said for the Swaro version. I still and will always have my trusty SEs, so perhaps I should just tie myself to the mast.

So what say ye? Is there an optic you can commend as the best for the money in this category? Or should I just give in and try the 8x32 EDGs?

I would certainly try the 8x32 EDG before buying anything else. I haven't seen it, but I have tested the 7x42 EDG and briefly tried the 8x42 EDG. Those continue to have the strengths of the LX-L series optics (better off-axis performance than the other alpha roofs) while substantially improving light transmission and transverse CA over the LX-L, two areas that really needed improvement.

The one area where the 8x32 EDG may be better than your 8x32 SE is field curvature. The SE corrects off-axis astigmatism very well, but shows more field curvature than the 7 or 8x42mm EDG.

Last edited:
I recently had the opportunity to try the 10x42 EDG and Henry's comments are spot-on. I have yet to try the 8x32 version but would love to.

My other two 32 mm roof favorites you have already ruled out so that pretty much just leaves the new EDG.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back