• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey ID in Spain (1 Viewer)

Pete V

Can anybody help an old but not too good birder? I was in Spain last week and was on the coast just up from Benidorm. As I peered over the edge of the high cliffs I saw a sandy coloured bird that was the size and approx shape of a Peregrine. It was patrolling along the cliff before disappearing. Give me a clue someone!!!

Escaped Lanner or Saker? That's what I'd be thinking if it was here, anyway (and have seen them a couple of times)

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Hi Pete

Lanners moult early and might be fairly advanced/adult like now so not really sandy... Saker is unlikely too. I'm trying the commoner stuff first...

any chance it wasn't a Kestrel?

or maybe not a raptor at all?

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Pete

Lanners moult early and might be fairly advanced/adult like now so not really sandy... Saker is unlikely too. I'm trying the commoner stuff first...

any chance it wasn't a Kestrel?

or maybe not a raptor at all?

Tim
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply. It wasn't a Kestrel and it was a raptor. I had it in my binos for the short time and could see it's beak. I've trawled through my small library of bird books and have failed to get any ideas. Quoting from my pocket guide it had a "arrow shaped gliding profile"
Pete

Nutcracker said:
Escaped Lanner or Saker? That's what I'd be thinking if it was here, anyway (and have seen them a couple of times)

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Ta for the reply. I'll have to do more searching to see the birds you suggest. Thanks for the welcome.
Pete

Nutcracker said:

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Hi All
Don't be too quick to say Lanner/Saker are going to be escaped from this part of the world, very rare but also very possibly gen as well. El Hondo had a report of a Lanner about 6 weeks ago that seemed ok according to the observers. That bird could be still around but to be fair the desciption Pete has given (no offence) is minimal at best and really no definitive answer could be given. I have a vested interest in this as I live just north of Benidorm and would be grateful to know more details of the sighting, if you don't mind Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back