• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows 10...no Office......how to open word documents ? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
New laptop which came without Office.
I have transferred all my documents etc. from the old laptop. When I tried to open my word documents it tells me I can't do it without downloading Office. I believe there are downloads which will allow me open them.
Can anyone advise a good free download please.
Thanks.

Libre office is also free. I used it for long enough to decide that I wouldn't pay for Microsoft Office again. Google Doc.s is another 'cloud' alternative that I use more and more at work as it's easy to share with others and can be accessed from anywhere.

I've never bought Word (or MS Office) but like Delia, have found Open Office useful for opening the occasional Word doc someone's sent me.

There's also WPS Office by Kingsoft which I downloaded ages ago but never installed. There's a Wiki page on it here. There are free and paid versions - I'd avoid the latter.

It's unlikely that either of these programs hosts malware (in particular, Open Office is open source and I believe entirely trustworthy) but the usual precautions apply: download from the site which originated the software rather than 3rd party sites, and scan every download prior to installation. Good luck!

What a disaster!

I finally gave in to the constant prompts and installed W10 after it's reassurances that 'all you files will be where you left them'

On start up there was nothing, zero.......and, I didn't back up which is totally my fault.

I found the whole navigation totally unintuitive, could not find any of the systems and finally when I found how to roll back to W7, that's what I did.

Fortunately all my files are still present which is a relief.

I don't know why they change long established terms, favourites are now bookmarks and other irritating things like that. As a confirmed technophobe, I'm back in my comfort zone with W7 and that's where I'll stay.

Andy

A quick thought: I would prefer LibreOffice to OpenOffice nowadays. After the split LibreOffice has been developed further than OpenOffice, and I personally rate LibreOffice nowadays higher than MicrosoftOffice.

I've got both on my computer(s), and I invariably turn to LibreOffice whenever I need an office application.

Hermann

A quick thought: I would prefer LibreOffice to OpenOffice nowadays. After the split LibreOffice has been developed further than OpenOffice, and I personally rate LibreOffice nowadays higher than MicrosoftOffice.

I've got both on my computer(s), and I invariably turn to LibreOffice whenever I need an office application.

Hermann

I have had issues with old Office documents and Libre often displays them either incorrectly or simply won't open them.

Andy

I now use OpenOffice on my Macbook and find it very straightforward to use, much easier than recent versions of the MS equivalent

I use 13 year old versions of office (Word and Excel 2002) on Windows 10 with no problems whatsoever.

I use 13 year old versions of office (Word and Excel 2002) on Windows 10 with no problems whatsoever.

My issue is specifically with Libre not W10 in this case.

Libre struggles with office docs.

I've also had major issues with IE11 resulting in that I use Firefox exclusively now.

Andy

My issue is specifically with Libre not W10 in this case.

Libre struggles with office docs.

I've also had major issues with IE11 resulting in that I use Firefox exclusively now.

Andy
I was referring to the OP's post and not yours (if he was running office stuff on Windows 7 then he should not have any problems loading and running it on Window 10)
I have been using Firefox for years now and still use it as my main browser but I do find 'Microsoft Edge' very useful for viewing stuff with loads of ads as the 'reading view' is superb (as far as I know 'Edge' has superseded IE 11)

Assuming you have a stable internet connection just go to office.com and use the MS Office online apps free of charge. Always up to date and perfectly adequate for an average user. Even saves them in your onedrive folder so they can be accessed from smartphone, tablet etc. For an offline solution open office is a very good free alternative.

Just seen this reply.
How would I get an old (or indeed any) version of word without paying?
I am loathe to pay as, now I am well & truly retired I cannot see I would ever use it apart from opening these transferred files/documents.

You don't need to David. Open Office will open the documents for you with no bother, and you can save them in Microsoft Office format to send them on to someone else.

Presumably Libre will do the same, but I don't know as I've not used it.

I find OO so easy to use, you'd probably not notice much difference, if any!

You don't need to David. Open Office will open the documents for you with no bother, and you can save them in Microsoft Office format to send them on to someone else.

Presumably Libre will do the same, but I don't know as I've not used it.

I find OO so easy to use, you'd probably not notice much difference, if any!

Thanks again..........to everyone foe your help.

Hi David

This is the one I use: https://www.openoffice.org/

I've been using it for years without any issues.

Delia
by now you will realise just how computer literate I am :)
When I click to download "open-office" it asks me to select my operating system.............which is windows 10. However the drop down box only lists windows EXE & some obscure systems.
I assume it must be me but which do I click on ???
Thanks

Hi David LOL it's too long since I did it.

Go for Windows EXE and change the language from English US to English British in the drop down.

I always go for the suggested options unless I know different.

Hi David LOL it's too long since I did it.

Go for Windows EXE and change the language from English US to English British in the drop down.

I always go for the suggested options unless I know different.

Right.............I will try that but do wonder..............why would they ask me to select my OS it will work on either.
Thanks

I'm not too sure what you're asking David. The drop downs are to ensure you get the right download for your system.

I presume you're using Windows 10 and not something different, such as Linux?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back