• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

Yet another oddity: it stood out from the graellsii as being very long legged, large and bulky (like marinus) with a grey upper tone unlike either and with a stonking bill.

Just an extreme graellsii, pretty sure not, possible marinusxgraellsii, gut feeling....

maybe graellsii/michahellis??? looks like a hybrid of some sort.

Initiallu identified the 1st winter bird as a Caspian, at range, but when it moved a lot closer, when the pictures were taken, it seems to take on a different persona. I've seen several large male Casps before but this bird just didn't have the same headshape and bill structure to those birds. Still felt and ID the bird as a Caspian but with run of local 'mixed bloods' felt there may be another answer.

The near adult type bird showed extensive dark marks in the primaries and the tails still had retained dark marks, to extensive fr a 4th winter bird, bird aged as a 3rd winter.

The adult hybrid, could be a LBBGxHG though the bill is on the big side, an unknown parentage bird I think it will have to go down as, damn hybrids.

Just over another month of local gulling for the season left, then looking forward to the summer juveniles...

Initiallu identified the 1st winter bird as a Caspian, at range, but when it moved a lot closer, when the pictures were taken, it seems to take on a different persona. I've seen several large male Casps before but this bird just didn't have the same headshape and bill structure to those birds. Still felt and ID the bird as a Caspian but with run of local 'mixed bloods' felt there may be another answer.

The near adult type bird showed extensive dark marks in the primaries and the tails still had retained dark marks, to extensive fr a 4th winter bird, bird aged as a 3rd winter.

The adult hybrid, could be a LBBGxHG though the bill is on the big side, an unknown parentage bird I think it will have to go down as, damn hybrids.

Just over another month of local gulling for the season left, then looking forward to the summer juveniles...

the 2cy (1st cycle) with large eye has little coverts replaced thus maybe from the northern belt of cach breeding distribution (germany to central europ. russia) but this is variable within populations. head striation may give a hint to some herring blood but is well within cach variation. jizz is another thing i can't tell accurately from this one pic alone but i can see where your feeling is coming.

edit: i see ruud sees it the same way...

as for the 3rd winter - yes, i didn't tell anything else: 3rd winter = 3rd cycle = 4cy in february ;)

ageing caspians

i found it a bit difficult to age these:

http://lou.bertalan.de/gulls/pic/vh/up_0811.jpg

http://lou.bertalan.de/gulls/pic/vh/up_0805.jpg

and some more... if i have the time to dig them out.

what do you think about the 2 linked?
on first view they seem obvious: 2nd cycle and 3rd cycle.

the presumed 2nd cycle (3rd winter, 4cy) would be quite retarded.

the presumed 3rd cycle 3rd (winter, 4cy) has dark marks on primaries down to probably p2-3 (p4 tip visible, a very solid mark), mirrors small etc.

Hi Steve.

Hope you don´t mind about this, at the bottom of the page and continuing on page 2:

http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=507

JanJ

Not at all Jan, always good to get further views.

Like a say when the bird was at distance it was fully Identified as a Casp with no hesitation it was only when it came closer and when I got the images that is seemed slightly out of character to the characteristc Casps that I tend to get locally. I've had large males before but they have tended to show the classic headshape and profile, this birds head with streaking and heavy looking bill made me second guess my original identification, first gut reaction is usually the right one.

regards

Steve

Not at all Jan, always good to get further views.

Like a say when the bird was at distance it was fully Identified as a Casp with no hesitation it was only when it came closer and when I got the images that is seemed slightly out of character to the characteristc Casps that I tend to get locally. I've had large males before but they have tended to show the classic headshape and profile, this birds head with streaking and heavy looking bill made me second guess my original identification, first gut reaction is usually the right one.

regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you have any more images of this bird?

Cheers,

Andy.

when i see these pics, i see only caspian gulls near it. is it dominating numbers? how are YLG and cachs distributed among the lakes, do they gather in more or less unispecific groups or randomly mixed?

Hi Lou, I would say that during the winter (when the weather is really cold) we have on the lakes in Bucharest 70%- 80% cachinnnas and only 20% -30 % michahellis.

On March 3rd I found again the Great Black-baked Gull.

Attachments

• P3036367m.jpg
    P3036367m.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 258
  • P3036457m.jpg
    P3036457m.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 260
  • P3036468m.jpg
    P3036468m.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 252
  • P3036465m.jpg
    P3036465m.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 268
  • P3036464m.jpg
    P3036464m.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 258
Herastrau - March 7th. Two "old" friends - Jamie's Caspian and the Great Black-backed (still there after 6 days).

Attachments

• P3076854m.jpg
    P3076854m.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P3076865m.jpg
    P3076865m.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 57
Hello!

A few Yellow-legged Gulls (I believe) from Cicily (Dec-Jan)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7263.JPG
    IMG_7263.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7264.JPG
    IMG_7264.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7504.JPG
    IMG_7504.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7505.JPG
    IMG_7505.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 44
And these
7526-27 Seems a bit odd, but still YLG, doesn't it?

Attachments

• IMG_7526.JPG
    IMG_7526.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7527.JPG
    IMG_7527.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7531.JPG
    IMG_7531.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7532.JPG
    IMG_7532.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7535.JPG
    IMG_7535.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 50
Again, the older one on 7537, 7540 outstands, yet a YLG?

Attachments

• IMG_7537.JPG
    IMG_7537.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7540.JPG
    IMG_7540.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7586.JPG
    IMG_7586.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7599.JPG
    IMG_7599.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7601.JPG
    IMG_7601.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back