• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new bird for the Isle of Man (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Birding on my local patch here in the north of the IOM I came across the bird in the photos. My suspicions aroused by the presence of a Wigeon (all our wintering birds have long since left), I took a closer look. I watched the bird for at least an hour as it preened and (annoyingly) slept for long periods. I soon came to realise that it was a femal American Wigeon (a species I have seen several times on the 'adjacent island'). I put the news out immediately and was soon joined by a couple of birders from the Man Bird Atlas, who confirmed my i.d.
Woohoo! A new bird for the island. I suppose I'll have to head south tomorrow to have a look at the Spoonbill that turned up yesterday....

Attachments

• yankwig1.jpg
    yankwig1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 207
Thanks Darrell. Here's a better one taken this evening.

Attachments

• yankwig4.jpg
    yankwig4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 190
Hi CJW,
Nice one:found 3 American Wigeon over here last year(2 males and 1 female),but failed to get enough detail to clinch the female myself.Another observer later saw the white axilliaries.
Harry

I remember the article - there was a drake in Leicestershire which was photographed, seen - and ticked by many. Unfortunately it turned out to be a hybrid. I think the quote means that many people rushed to an identification rather than checking each i.d criteria - no problem with your bird though!!

Darrell

Cryptic plumages, I like. Cryptic quotes I don't understand! Got the Spoonbill at first light this morning. I don't know, they're like buses - you go for months without getting a new bird on your Manx list and then two come along together......

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back