• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IPD envy (1 Viewer)

BirderSean

today I had my annual eye exam and renewal of my contact lens
prescription and so I asked the doc what my IPD was and it measured
out to 60 mm, which explains why I always have to hinge my bins all the
way in to get a good view.

Sean,
Terrible break, man. Is there a hot line where we can phone in donations? A round-the-clock prayer group? Frankly, the eye-displacement surgery is fraught with complications, and I don't actually recommend it.

You know what they say, "Narrow IPD, broad mind". Well, maybe they don't really say that. Anyhow, don't feel bad. It's not your fault that most people have larger IPD settings than you. Just natural selection, you know. Take me, for example. I wouldn't want to embarrass you by telling you my actual setting, but it is like, way bigger. Just get on with life, is all I can say. Let us know if it gets any narrower.
Ron

Though on a recent Top Gear (S12E06 in the UK, IIRC) Capt Slow was testing a [really fast car] and pointed out that if he accelerated fast enough (i.e. 0-60mph in about 3 seconds ... umph) his eyes would move out to the side of his head: "Like a pigeon". Until he hit the ceramic brakes and decelerated at about 3G and "They moved back around the front".

So if you can find a 550 horsepower car and a long straight track you may have the fix.

If you are an American this of course will make no sense. Though you may like Top Gear ;)

I read somewhere, (in this forum, no doubt), that the average IPD of a male is 64mm. Don't know what female IPD's average but it likely is smaller. Mine is 68mm so we are both 4mm off the average. Big deal either way! Who cares? Just as long as your nose doesn't get in the way!
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back