• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat in the day (1 Viewer)

JustinG

Justin
Hi,

I am a novice at bats really, but I can identify a Pipistrelle.

I just saw a Pipistrelle fly over the garden (I had to look twice!) The concern and the question is why was this individual flying out in the day time? It was approximately 13:20, and the sun is out here and around 20C. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Okay, thanks.

Could you give me a reason why it would be flying out in broad daylight in such warm temperatures and bright sunlight?

Are you sure it's a Pip?

Noctule bats will often fly and feed during the day. Comparitively much bigger than a Pip- almost like a mini hirrundine at times

I volunteer at the Dyfi Osprey Project, and in the evenings, there are 3 or 4 Noctule bats hunting over the reserve.

The bat I saw today was definitely not a Noctule - much smaller, so my assumption was Pipistrelle.

The weather has been not just wet but unseasonally cold this spring and insects have been in shorter supply than usual (I remain thankfully little bitten.) Some bats must be desperate and in such circumstances they will take advantage of any period of warmth. It is risky for them as they are no match for Hobbies etc in full daylight.

Noctules are noticeably bigger and longer-winged than Pips, which are tiny, compact and will tend to feed closer to cover.

John

Thanks for the information John. As I said before, I have seen Noctule bats before, and you're right, they really are much bigger. This was a small compact little thing, which I assumed was a Pipistrelle. It flew over the garden, heading towards a patch of woodland. It was definitely hunting, so you're probably right, it must have been hunting in the day time just for survival.

hi

bats dont usually fly around at this time of day purposely, they will come out early when it is still fairly light but i doubt it would come out to feed at this time of day. i would suspect that the bat has been disturbed from its roost some where local and is flying to find shelter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back