• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tongue Extended! (1 Viewer)

Unkei

Hi all,
New here but wanted to post this photo taken in our back yard of a Hummingbird with it's tongue extended, evidently snatching an insect.
Unkei

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 127
Nice shot, maybe he is sticking his tongue out at the camera? ;)

Hi all,
New here but wanted to post this photo taken in our back yard of a Hummingbird with it's tongue extended, evidently snatching an insect.
Unkei

Or maybe it's sticking its tongue out for some other reason? I remember reading somewhere recently that hummers catch aerial insects by flying at them with open mouth in swift or goatsucker fashion rather than by snatching or stabbing with beak or tongue. But anyway, nice photo!

Hi Unkei, welcome to the forum.
Splendid looking shot, seen them approach nectar feeders, with the "gear" down and on final, in a similar manner. Curious when you captured the adult male, as it's been 3 weeks since any were seen around here.

Thanks for the nice comments folks. This shot was taken with a Canon EOS 60D,
the shutter being triggered by a radio remote release. (One of my better purchases for around $28, as being a radio release, you don't have to point it at the front of your camera) I'd have to get into my computer to read the metadata, but think this was taken in late August. My wife set up the shot, focusing on our Walking Stick tree. Think I'll gift her the Canon when my Leica arrives!
Unkei

Last edited:
Nice pic!

The hummingbirds that hang around my four feeders (year round) will allow me to get within a couple of feet. I've seen them do this -- extend their tongues -- while perched on a nearby branch. They just do it momentarily and if you blink, you'd miss it. I have no idea why they do it but I kind of like Lisa's idea -- they're probably sticking their tongues out at me. ;)

Last edited:
Seen Ruby-Throated take small insects while on the wing, or glean from flora. In addition, remove treats from spiders webs, also take the arachnids, themselves. Below is an article from a few years ago, when researchers, after pouring over data from high speed gear, found that the tongue is formed and used differently than thought.
http://phys.org/news/2011-05-hummingbird-tongue-video.html

Below is some research on hummers as insectivores, and the biomechanics of the lower mandible of the bill. It shows the lower mandible opens and flexes downward, somewhat like the tips of snipe, dowitchers, and other shorebirds. Also, the entire lower mandible moves vertically downward to increase the size of the gape, as opposed to hinging open and closed.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110719121356.htm

Been wanting radio trigger for awhile. Use a focus trap currently, with nominally a 200mm lens and extension tubes from about a meter away. Mirror slap of an DSLR, can be an issue with some younger birds. That Leica should do very well in that regard, they're whisper quiet.

Last edited:
Tongue Extended!
I checked and it was taken on August 9th of this year. In reference to the tongue being extended, I just assumed that's how they caught bugs. I learn something new everyday if I just pay attention. As for the Radio Shutter Release I got the Pixel Pro from Amazon for a whopping $21. It's range is 100 meters!
Have a great day,
Unkei

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back