• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The no APO/ED models performance (1 Viewer)

Cosme

Short and simple: I myself have very often wondered ... is better a medium 80 ED, for example celestron regals, or the no APO Kowas ?

I hope someone with better knowledge chime in, but the answer is not that straight, it depends what mags do you want and how much CA bothers you.
Medium class ED spotters like de Celestron Regal can deliver to a certain degree virtually CA free images above 40x, while non APO/HD/Prominar spotters will show CA, whatever they are Kowas, Swaros or any other known brand, although they may show better resolution above 40x than the chinese ED spotting scopes because they are in most cases better corrected, and showing less aberrations on star tests, they are probably not diffraction limited but reaching in most cases 120/D.
I dont really know if any mid class spotter tested better than 135/D but I doubt that many do!

Thats the point, put in a balance CA and resolution and see if the CA (and other aberrations) compared to resolution is a draw against a medium ED or it compensates.

Sad to see not many people has tried it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back