• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

microdrives (1 Viewer)

mav12

i have two igb microdrives which came with the camera i bought second hand
how do these compare with igb compact flash cards
speed wise
would i be better off buying a compact flash card
thanks

The problem with microdrives as opposed to cf cards is not as much the writing speed as.

Excessive heat generation:

All hard drives get hot,and image sensors for instance can be heat sensitive.
some manufacturers do not recommend their use with their products(canon however is not one of these)

Fragility:

Microdrive do not like shocks and precious images could be rendered difficult to retrieve upon damage.

Low operating temp range:

low temps (below 0 c) can render them unreliable, and below -10 they can pack up altogether.

Greater power usage:

they will drain a D SLR battery quicker than a cf card.

As a result they seem to have suffered "Betamax syndrome".

I would personally get a card holder and pop your microdrives in there as back up memory for when you fill up your new CF card.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:
Definitely slower than CF cards but I used one for over a year, gave it to my sister and she's still using it 18 months later. So, experience tells me that they can be pretty reliable. However, I wouldn't buy one now - I'd stick to CF cards.

I did read that they can be affected by altitude, see the quote and the link below;

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

The durability of flash memory cards makes them an excellent choice for news and sports photography in particular, because they are the most likely to survive the bumps and bruises they will receive during their life. But a more-fragile card like the Microdrive may be able to comfortably co-exist with flash memory cards in a photographer's bag.

Jim

I wouldn't bother buying a compact flash card unless you don't have enough memory. Mind you, memory is cheap now.

I bought a microdrive with my first DSLR because I wanted 2G for a long holiday. At that time a microdrive was half the price of flash memory _and_ faster.

I have never had any problems. In cold weather the camera battery has been a problem, never the microdrive.

Mine is a Hitachi (who make IBM) which is the best brand. I now also have an Extreme III 2G card which is a little faster on my 30D. On a cheaper camera you might not see any difference.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back