• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

winter hummers (1 Viewer)

ptickner

With the great cold snap bearing down on much of the US, I thought I'd share a photo of my parent's rufous hummingbird in north Georgia. Here she is at the feeder at 8 deg. F (-13 C) today. They've switched to a Hummzinger brand saucer-type feeder, which acts as a perfect lid for the small crock pot of hot water, which keeps the feeder from freezing. We'll see how she makes out tomorrow, which is supposed to be 2 deg. F (-17 C).

Any other winter hummers (Arizona and SoCal doesn't count!)?

Attachments

• winterhummer.jpg
    winterhummer.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 70
Darn, we here in AZ don't count ;)
Actually I live in the "high" desert and don't see many hummers between November and late January. Let us know how that little fellow makes out. The crock pot is an interesting way of keeping the sugar water from freezing. Never would have thought of it.

I guess Bisbee might count;)

The wind was really bad (wind chill well below zero), so more indirect methods of trying to keep the feeder warm weren't working too well. There have been lots of swapping out feeders every 20-30 minutes before they came up with the crock pot. Fortunately they are both retired, so they have time on their hands!

The hummer is a FY female who first showed up in Mid-October, and was banded by researchers from the GA Hummer Study Group.

Attachments

• GArufous2.jpg
    GArufous2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 56
Update - I just received word that she made it through the night, which got down to zero (-18 c), and has been drinking quite a bit this morning.

Not out of the woods yet, but it is supposed to start gradually warming and shouldn't be that cold again.

Thanks for the update, glad she made it. Hopefully all will end well.

Wish I got more rare birds in my yard! I guess I can't complain though... I've gotten quite a few nice ones over the past two years: Eastern Phoebe, Tropical Kingbird, Snow Geese, Gray Flycatcher (winter bird), and Mountain Bluebird. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back