• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (2 Viewers)

red neck grebe was off hermitage today later seen from salterstown (by E.L.) with at least one slav grebe also present.later in the afternoon a short eared owl & bonxie were recorded(by A.K.)at hermitage

Nice shots. I saw it yesterday evening. Same place as last year's. Watched it for around 10 mins and then it disappeared and i couldn't relocate it, but hopefully it will hang if it is last year's one.

Nice to see the fosters back! I had a business trip to berlin - unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and the light was unbelievably horrible - I thought ireland was bad...nevertheless spent an afternoon watching a pair of goshawks interacting with a large flock of grey crows - makes a change to see the latter absolutely pertified by the goshawks.

Attachments

• goshawk berlin.jpg
    goshawk berlin.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 97
Quick reminder that Sandra McKeever will give an illustrated talk on the Little Tern Protection Scheme at Baltray upstairs at the Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks, Dundalk at 8pm on Monday. All are welcome!

Ards Peninsula at the week-end had loads of Brent Geese as you would expect, but quite a sight even so. Also lots of Eider as well. The photo shows an Eider trying to swallow food that shortly afterwards was taken by a gull.

Attachments

• tn_Eiders 02.JPG
    tn_Eiders 02.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 78
Greylag Geese

No sign of the reported Greylags on the Goose fields at Lurgangreen. 2 shooters in the fields this evening.
Nice flock of Golden Plover at Cruisetown.

Attachments

• GPFlying.jpg
    GPFlying.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 76
  • GPs.jpg
    GPs.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 73
  • GPBeach.jpg
    GPBeach.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 79
Forsters tern on the beach (in front of the toilets) along with 2 adult med gulls this morning at cruisetown,and the ringtail hen harrier showed well in the fields behind the strand.24 white fronted geese flew into lurgangreen saltmarsh this evening

Greylag Geese

14 Little Egrets 68 Greylag Geese and 12 Whooper Swans at lurgangreen today.
21 of the Greylag and 6 Whoopers where in the 'Geese Fields' just south of Lurgangreen in the fields between the sea and the main road.

Any counts of waders and waterfowl, but particularly Geese and Swans, from these fields are very important this winter. They may have important implications for the protection of birds using Dundalk Bay.

Please take a note of numbers of geese or swans using these fields and post them on the forum or contact myself or Breffni.

Thanks

Peter

Attachments

• Greylag.jpg
    Greylag.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 81
Sandra was on LMFM radio (www.lmfm.ie) this morning about the Little Terns at Baltray and came across very well - it was on the Daire Nelson Show at about 11:20am today - not sure if it is possible to "listen again".

I'd second that and also thanks to everyone for coming especially Kieran and Niall who came all the way from Kildare and Greystones to be there.

Large numbers of greylags flying south over my garden early this morning - and a few minutes ago a 1W buzzard dropped in...photo from my office window!

Attachments

• buzzard garden nov 07.jpg
    buzzard garden nov 07.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Forsters Tern

Well done to the whole Mc Keever family especially Sandra. Nice photos of the Buzzard (Breffni) and Pigeon (Gerry).

I finally saw the Fosters Tern today (it only took a year). Carrion Crow and a hybrid Hooded Cross at Cruisetown as well as lots of Whoopers milling about the bay. Have the Russian white fronted Geese been seen since Paul Kelly had them?

Lots of Knot and Golden Plovers about

Attachments

• Forsters Tern with gulls.jpg
    Forsters Tern with gulls.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Fosters on beach.jpg
    Fosters on beach.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Knot flock.jpg
    Knot flock.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 84
Snow Bunting

We got good views of Endas Snow Bunting at Salterstown today. The best at Cruisetown was a female type Hen Harrier.

Attachments

• Snow Buntigsalterstown.jpg
    Snow Buntigsalterstown.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 93
  • SnowBuntingSalterstown.jpg
    SnowBuntingSalterstown.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 80
We got good views of Endas Snow Bunting at Salterstown today.

and excellent shots also,Peter.. cruisetown today had black throated diver (found by noel&niall k),forsters tern & 3 skuas as the light was fading which i presume landed on the water (lost them an couldnt relocate them) artic type is about the best description i could put on them

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back