• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

long live the 300D! (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

hi,being a very recent convert to the digital revolution i have to give praise to a fantastic peice of kit.the canon eos 300d.what a tool.it took me so long to change from film to digital capture for financial reasons(too tight to pay full price for one).the resolution,colour and the functions to me are incredible.i know a lot of you have probably had 2 or 3 different bodies since your first DSLR but i will be sticking with this for a while to come yet.my photography,i feel,has come on so much in the few months i have had it and i am enjoying it again.sorry to go on about it but i bet all you digi users felt the same when you bought your first digital body.

Hi Mike,

I couldn't agree more. I promised myself that I would build a darkroom when I retired and have several enlargers/lenses, developing tanks, processing trays and thermometers etc., now gathering dust and never likely to be used again. Digital is so versatile and there is so much you can do, even with poorly exposed images which if taken on film would go straight into the waste bin. It is not without it's challenges by any means, so not even a die-hard film fan could say it was too easy to be real photography, but with the help knowledeable people on sites such as this and the information to be had on the internet in particular, it is astonishingly rewarding.
Mind you, nothing quite beats an image coming up in the developer in the gloom of a darkened bathroom, lit only by a seductive red safelight!

Regards

Adrian

Mike,

I agree too. I switched to digital from my much loved Canon AE1 (now that is ancient!). I too started with the 300D when I realised that digital really had become good enough. I've moved on to a 20D now but I still think the 300d was something of a revolution in making DSLR affordable.

I too went digital with a 300D and was thrilled when I got it - I told myself I wouldn't need to upgrade for years to come... then my 300D got written off in an accident and was replaced with a 350D... wow what a leap forward...

Mike I still have my first 300D,although I now use a 350D and a 20D,but do use the 300 when out and about with the dog,it is a great little cam,only downside being rather slow off the mark.But yes ,it was my entry into DSLR,and as I am still very much a point and shoot person,I took some great pics with this camera.

thanks birdsnapper.i am very pleased with the results i have been getting recently.i think the only time the amount of megapixels count is when cropping.if i crop the 300D`s images too much i lose a fair bit of quality.this just means i have to get closer to the subject for a detailed shot whether by stalking or my feeding station method.i am happy doing either.to me it is half the enjoyment.the resulting image is just the climax of something i enjoy immensely.

mike from ebbw said:
thanks birdsnapper.i am very pleased with the results i have been getting recently.i think the only time the amount of megapixels count is when cropping.if i crop the 300D`s images too much i lose a fair bit of quality.this just means i have to get closer to the subject for a detailed shot whether by stalking or my feeding station method.i am happy doing either.to me it is half the enjoyment.the resulting image is just the climax of something i enjoy immensely.

Feildcraft is something that birders and photographers seem to be loosing.

hi mav.no it is just the bog standard ef 75-300mm that you can pick up s/hand for about £80.i bought it originally about 6 years ago for my 1000fn.i have found since buying the 300d with its 1.6 sensor size that i have been using this lens more than my sigma 400mm 5.6.it is so light which makes it great for flight shots.thanks for looking at my gallery.glad you enjoyed the photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back