• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image titles/numbering (1 Viewer)

Being a bit of a novice which system do the majority of people use to number their images from the CF card?

Is it better to have the year then the image number or just the image number.

I ask this as sometime the image must reset (probably after 9999).

Thanks

Steve

Steve after I upload my images I Highlight each one of the same bird to make a batch and give it a name and date eg. Bluetit150107 so as it renames the batch it gives it the name and date and increases by one for all the rest. eg, Bluetit150107-1, -2,-3 etc.. Hope this helps. Sorry didn't mention what programs I use, mostly capture one, the other is adobe bridge they both are similar in the way they batch rename.

Steve,I make a folder in "my pics" usually with the day,s date-eg 16th Jan.Then when all pics from the day are downloaded ,I sort out the keepers,(not many at the moment!!!),then move the bird images into a folder I keep each month.Say Birds-Jan,and most other pics,including landscapes go into an"assorted Jan".At the end of each month,I copy the folder contents onto a disc,and print off the thumbnails,and store away.I also have a folder named e-pics for each month,ones which have been re-sized for the Forum.It seems a bit long winded,but I cannot be doing with keeping them all in Elements,and it saves the pc from being cluttered up.

We'll no doubt all do things differently - I haven't found a 'batch rename' hmm may go look LOL

I rename the new downloaded folder with the date (yyyymmdd) followed by the venue. I then have subfolders named for each bird and put the photos in the relevant subfolder.

For places I visit regularly (like my Patch) I'll then put the new folder into my Patch folder.

This won't work for everyone, no doubt, but may give you some ideas.

D

I use the Canon software provided with the camera: when downloading it creates a folder named after the date shots were taken; when needed, I use a batch renaming tool introducing each file with a pre-set of characters (e.g.: aa9999, then ab0001, etc) to avoid overwriting filenames already existing, this tool can be found in several editing softwares
Cheers,
Max

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back