• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surely a hoax, but... (1 Viewer)

Hi Jules,

Heh! Maybe I should have said "surely a hoax??"!

;)

It just seems the usual routine that prior to a big show like PMA you start seeing things like this.

To me, the biggest clue to its hoaxiness is that the grammar and spelling on the page I linked to is appalling - I can't imagine that Canon would let pages be published to their site without some sort of checking first.

Don't get me wrong though - if this is a legitimate "accidental" leak of a new product, I'll be very happy: it looks very interesting.

Last edited:
Hmmm, this is what I get when I click on the link Keith

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 117
Keith Reeder said:
To me, the biggest clue to its hoaxiness is that the grammar and spelling on the page I linked to is appalling - I can't imagine that Canon would let pages be published to their site without some sort of checking first.

I wouldn't let the poor grammar or spelling make you think it is a hoax - read some of the other product descriptions in the pages on their site...I have also seen things like the wrong product images etc.

My quick thoughts though:
"four stop Image Stabilizer" - don't Canon market their IS as 3 stops?
Tripod collar looks too far back for balance, even with DO glass.

Hi Mark,

I've just had a look at some of the other lens pages on canon.co.uk of them are anything like as bad as this page..!

;)

The tripod collar position was picked up on in the forum thread I picked this rumour/hoax up from.

Re: the number of stops the IS gives - maybe this lens is bringing in a new standard of performance in IS?

Hi Keith,

I'd say it is a hoax.

Firstly, if you enter the full Canon http address that can be read from the image you supplied into your browser, then the page is not reconginsed by the Canon UK Web Site..... maybe it was previously and now it has been removed.

The bigger clue to me is that the link shown in the browser doesn't match the grey text on the "fake" web page.

The grey text shows Home > For Home > Product Finder > EF Lenses > Image Stabilization Lenses > .........

however

the web page address shows the lens listed under the Fixed_Focal_Length category.

So I don't think it is a genuine screenshot.

Austin

Thanks Keith for capturing the page for me.

The bigger clue to me is that the link shown in the browser doesn't match the grey text on the "fake" web page.
I noticed that as well after several attempts at copying/pasting and trying different forms of the address.

must be a hoax... the web address is slightly wrong for the standard that Canon use...

Also I'm not quite sure who the lens would be aimed at - if you wanted a lens of this length and speed surely a 600 f4 with a 1.4x tc would basically give the same thing. I know DO lenses are lighter weightet, but would an 800mm DO be lighter than a standard 600mm?

I can't even find that lens on the Canon UK website, Adey - the non-IS one is there, but nothing about an IS version.

Maybe that was a hoax too?

;) ;) ;)

But yeah, 4 stops according to Canon USA.

Saw this on another forum today..so it's really wild rumour season (and I suppose I'm perpetuating them here ;)

"In the photographers room at West Ham today I heard the news that Canon are to re-introduce the 200 1.8L with IS
Updates for the 300mm 2.8 400 2.8 and 500mm F4 were also mentioned.

But the rumour of a new system with new mount is getting stronger. A few of the wire service photographers were
at a golf tournament in Japan recently where a Canon test photographer was testing the new prototype system."

Keith Reeder said:
I can't even find that lens on the Canon UK website, Adey - the non-IS one is there, but nothing about an IS version.

That website's always been a bit 'sedate' with updates on new equipment!

I think the idea of a 800mm DO lens is quite feasible. The 400mm F4 DO filled a gap in their line up (they used to do a F4.5 in FD mount), providing a faster lens than the F5.6 version that is not too heavy but is distinctly lighter than the F2.8.

There's no overwhelming need to upgrade the 500mm and 600mm to DO as they would still be quite large beasts, anyway and many users are happy with the ones they have - far better to tempt us with a different option

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back