• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with cable release - Canon 350D (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

Hi all.
I use one of those plug in cable releases with my 350D. Fine? Well I thought it would be!
I'm now on my third one and thinking of giving up. Each one has only worked for a couple of weeks, and then packed in. I've only used the cheapy £5.99 ones, maybe that is why? I don't know. I don't want to splash out on a higher quality and more expensive release if the same thing is going to happen.
Anybody had the same experience? Is there a 'fix'? Am I doing something wrong? Is it a quality issue?
Many thanks for reading, and I hope someone may offer advice and/or a tip.
Joe

I can't comment on the ebay ones, but when using a 350D and then a 400D I used one of the Canon ones. I used it regularly for a couple of years and never had a problem. It might be an issue with the cheaper remote releases or a problem with the contacts in the camera, but I don't know how you'd check? I seem to remember that the official Canon one was under £20, so not too expensive.

I can't comment on the ebay ones, but when using a 350D and then a 400D I used one of the Canon ones. I used it regularly for a couple of years and never had a problem. It might be an issue with the cheaper remote releases or a problem with the contacts in the camera, but I don't know how you'd check? I seem to remember that the official Canon one was under £20, so not too expensive.

Thanks for the reply. It may well be a problem with the contacts, either within the socket on the camera, or just cheap and poorly fitting contacts on the plugs of 'the cheapy's'. If I give a wiggle, I can sometimes get the shutter releases going again for a bit.

Sounds more like a problem with the internal contacts in the camera - I've a 'cheapo' which I've used for years (initially on Sigma SD10, then Canon 350D and now on Sigma SD14)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back