• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New lifer for me (1 Viewer)

IanF

Still in sunny Majorca for a few more days yet. Had to get my bird book out this morning when I saw a flock of 60+ strange looking brown streaked long yellow legged birds in a field sheltering from the sun along a hedge line. They turned out to be Stone Curlews which I have not seen before. They are still there this evening so hopefully they will be still around come Friday for the Bird Forum GGBC II !

All in all we have had a good trip bird wise with 48 species all within a few miles of the resort. I´ll post a list later.

Nice on, Ian...

Here's hoping they hang around for GGBC.

Glad to hear you've been having a good trip!

Excellent, Ian. It was a lifer for me in Spain this year too, and a terrific looking bird.
There's was one concept I didn't get in your message.... "sheltering from the sun." No, don't remember having done that in Iceland.

E

Nice one Ian, i have not seen Stone Curlews before, but that has not stopped me wishing i had. Lovely birds to see, well done.

Good for you Ian, I would love to see some and have considered a holiday near Weetly Heath (or somewhere that sounds like that) for them.

Looking foreward to a detailed report Ian, just starting my Summer holidays myself two weeks in sunny Northumberland with occasional wanderings down your end bring back a few North easterlies will you.

Nice one, Ian. They are stunning birds.

Andrew: Weeting Heath is well worth a visit - we went in June this year. Despite having been told the day before by someone at Cley that we wouldn't see anything we had excellent views of adult and young birds. We also had good views of woodlark.

Here is a shot of one of these birds. By yesterday most had moved on, but there were still around a dozen left.

Taken with the Olympus C2100UZ+B300+Tcon14 at around 80 yards.

Attachments

• pa085025ao.jpg
    pa085025ao.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 197
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back