• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable 8x42s, which would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Bosque

I'm trying to decide which 8x42 I'll really hunt down used now that I've got a better pair of compacts. Seems like in the price range I can tolerate, I'm looking at the following 3. Is one of these so clearly better than the other two?

Nikon Monarch
Vortex Diamondback
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT or Platinum Ranger

As another aside, I've got a pair of Bushnell 8x42s that worked for about a month, then somewhere between home and a beach in Baja Sur, they started seeing double (accompanied obviously with a splitting headache). Has anyone had any experience getting their Bushnell's repaired, and is it even worth the costs their repair services charge?

I'm trying to decide which 8x42 I'll really hunt down used now that I've got a better pair of compacts. Seems like in the price range I can tolerate, I'm looking at the following 3. Is one of these so clearly better than the other two?

Nikon Monarch
Vortex Diamondback
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT or Platinum Ranger

As another aside, I've got a pair of Bushnell 8x42s that worked for about a month, then somewhere between home and a beach in Baja Sur, they started seeing double (accompanied obviously with a splitting headache). Has anyone had any experience getting their Bushnell's repaired, and is it even worth the costs their repair services charge?

You are going to get a lot of recommendations for the Zen-Ray ED. You'll probably want an aftermarket strap and objective covers, but they're distinctly better than any of the models you list optically, IMO.

Dunno about the Bushnells, but I'm sure someone will.

I directly compared those to the Zen-ray, and came away with the Zen-ray without any hesitation. I've been thoroughly impressed so far. I did really like the monarch's - their image quality is certainly good enough, but clearly behind the zen-ray ED. The ergonomics are totally different - both appealing but in nearly opposite ways. The Monarchs are very light - almost effortless to hold, but I felt a bit shaky using them. The ZR's are quite a bit heavier, and that combined with the open-bridge hold made them much more stable for me. Ergonomics are super-personal though, and I could certainly see someone choosing the Monarch for purely ergonomic reasons. I didn't care much for the Ranger SRT, but I did like the Diamondback. To be honest, though, I spent more time looking at the Viper and Razor from the Vortex line... and still came away thinking the Zen-Ray ED was the best both from a purely optics standpoint, and certainly the best when value per dollar spent was taken into consideration.

I think I'm strictly in the pawn shop, ebay, craigslist field for these (under $200, preferably under $150). Also, somehow most of my gear has a rough life and will probably need warranty service at some point, so the quality of their warranty support is a big one for me.

Are the ZRS binoculars really that good, and the warranty support is solid?

Another I'd seriously consider in this price range is the Leupold Yosemite porros. I have the 6x30 and paid ~$90 for them. They are terrific, particularly for their price. I have never used the warranty, but Leupold has a good reputation, I think. My 5 year old uses the yosemites all the time, and they take quite a beating...

I've never looked through the 8x30 yosemites, but I hear good things about them.

I think I'm strictly in the pawn shop, ebay, craigslist field for these (under $200, preferably under $150). Also, somehow most of my gear has a rough life and will probably need warranty service at some point, so the quality of their warranty support is a big one for me.

Are the ZRS binoculars really that good, and the warranty support is solid?

The Zen-Ray ZRS HDs are about $175 and are well worth, at a minimum, 3 times that price. Zen-Ray Customer Service in my experience has been remarkably friendly and responsive, and I would expect no less in the future. The Zen-Ray ED at about $385 is optically better than the ZRS and most other binoculars irrespective of price but the ZRS build quality is comparable, the ergonomics of the ZRS may be prefereable to many (myself included), and the view offered by the ZRS for the price is simply unbeatable. I own the Zen-Ray 8 x 43 ED and ZRS 10 x 42, love them both and am not affiliated with Zen-Ray.

I really like my Vipers, very ergonomic, hangs well, really nice eyecups, the strap is great. And the image is sharp, and bright. However they have CA (not everyone sees the CA i think, but it bugs me). Still I really like them, my girlfriends 8x42 monarchs are also really good but not as crisp and sharp image as the vipers, but maybe more relaxed view.
From what I have read the zens are better in every way then the viper when it comes to optics, but I think the viper is lighter, and hangs better (maybe not worth much in the bigger picture.)

Does the zen got any replacement eyecups that fits well?

Does the zen got any replacement eyecups that fits well?

Not as far as I know.

But I suspect the eyecups are very similar to those on the Viper. They seem to be identical to those on the Vortex Diamondback and some used on Bushnell models too. A recent review pointed out that the Vortex Doubler is a perfect fit on Zen Ray ED.

I think there are only so many suppliers of eyecups out there!

Last edited:
Nikon Monarch.............OK, they used to have eye cups that do not stay out
Vortex Diamondback.....OK for the price, wide field, good beginner pair, probably reliable
may be a bit weaker in optics, not much
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT or Platinum Ranger........kind of like Monarch, build is OK, eye cups better

I have had all, except 8x32 in the SRT. They are in fact for sale, see for sale section. Not sure 8x42 is much better. In 8x, both should be OK. At that price.

Chinese ED..I have a pair of those too. Nice optics.

Last edited:
I would definitely go with the ZRS in that price range. Their optical performance is noticeably above the $185 they are selling for and the customer service is top notch...Swaro level...in my experience.

In that price range (under $200.00), I don't think any of the Binocular Manufacturers mentioned will make repairs to any binocular that is flawed and returned for servicing. They will probably just send you another one to replace it.

I've used the Vortex 8 x 42 Diamondback as a "car binocular" for 6 months or so. It stays on the floor of the car under a hat when not in use. It is really quite good for a binocular that cost me $165.00! It is well made and has a wide FOV (420'). It's sharp but could be a bit brighter. The new version is supposed to take care of that. Vortex says it will be 7% brighter.http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback8x42

As far as warranty goes, Vortex has the most generous one I've seen. No cards to fill out; completely transferable, and no time limit. Instructions are simply to contact them. Of course, it won't cover theft, loss, deliberate damage, or unauthorized repairs. They will repair or replace as they see fit.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back