• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on tripod head (1 Viewer)

Rejean D.

Does anyone have ever heard or tried the following tripod head? "EI717AH Photo Camera Tripod Fluid Drag Head". Would this be an equivalent to the Manfrotto 701HDV?

Thanks for your reply

Ei717ah

If you Google "EI717AH" you will get a number of hits including at least one review. One reviewer claims that it "rocks" :)

I own the Weifeng 717 head which is probably the same. I have used it for about a year now. My thoughts about it:
Its construction is very much like the Manfrotto 701HDV but both panning and tilting are a lot stiffer. While I prefer the stiffer tilting over the Manfrotto's, the panning is too hard: sometimes (especially in cold weather) the head even unscrews from the tripod. I tried cleaning the grease of the panning system and it completely failed, no matter what grease I used (even high viscosity silicone oil doesn't help). The friction screw on the right side of the head is totally useless since you cannot add any more friction without completely locking.
The metal parts seem quite soft to me; after several times of dis- and reassembling the panning parts, the screw threads were gone... I think it's built quite cheaply.
One screw has come lost from vibrations and the security mechanism for the quick release plate feels not 100% safe for me.

To sum up, I wouldn't buy it again and instead get a Manfrotto 701HDV (which is not perfect either but definitively better)

Greetings Johannes

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back