• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very Interesting New Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Certainly looks interesting -- wish I'd had something like this when I saw the Whooping Crane yesterday!!

But at $600, they are something I doubt I'll ever own.

Do these devices actually record the same magnification image. So If I've got a 8X view of a bird will the recorded image be to the same magnification? Or will I get a more distant image?

Well personally I think they look a nightmare to use... but in terms of where the technology is going, it's very interesting.

Could this be the end of "digi-scoping" as we know it???

What a godsend for seawatching. Lets take this further.....Imagine you had a button on your scope that could recall the last..oh let's have a minute, not 30 seconds. That you could download when you got home and prove to the world that it ws a little Shearwater, Softie etc. You could capture the flight path and technique as well as confirm plumage and structural features.

I have often contemplated setting up two scopes side by side in my front room, one linked to the TV screen with a tape recording. Then I could sit in a comfy arm chair and watch the TV...only jumping up when I saw something. Afterwards you could refer back to the tape.

I live in fear of fluffing a Frigatebird...or an albatross.... if I ever see one I know all rationality will go out of the window and I'll miss something vital.

I would also really appreciate the stored image for later review. It takes me a while to get all the details down and I have had several instances where the bird was gone before I got enough for a positive ID. We often take a small video along with us so one can capture a record shot while the other is looking through the scope.

Jane, if I had that video on my scope I could send you hundreds of Magnificent Frigate Birds (although some of the excitement of seeing them out your window might be lost)!

Binoculars that have the 8x camera are not great for birds. I have seen some pictures, good enough to capture some tame ducks and geese. But the binoculars I saw had fixed focus, so even close up they were no use.

They look very interesting, but I would like them to replay in the eyepiece so you could see it again the same as the first time as those pop up screens are hopeless in bright daylight.

Mick

I had a bino-camera. Bought it Saturday retuned it Thursday. Ihad 1.2 megapixels and the image quality of a soda bottle. The 8x binocs were a bit low in contrast but acceptable but not worth $175.00. If a quality bino-camera existed it would be no secrete just as Leica binocs are no secret and Nikon cameras are no secret.

BiLL

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back