• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found Old Bins - Bushnell 7x35 Custom (1 Viewer)

I've been looking for a pair of binos for my birding partner, and just today she dug these up out of her dads old collection of stuff: Bushnell Custom 7x35 binos with 7 degree FOV. They should be an excellent pair for birding. They seem to focus extremely closely - I could focus on the wall opposite the sofa in living room that was 10' or less away from me. They say JBB JE67 on them, too. She still has the leather case and it's intact, but missing strap for case. I also need to pick up some objective covers and ep covers, too, but a guy in eBay sells them in lots and they'll stay on binos well.

The optics seem to have no flaws that I could detect (and I'm an astro-nut so I know about optics and such) other than some dust on the inside of the objectives. They focus easily and diopter on rt works smoothly. With that wide field, such close focus, and potential for a bright image at 7x35, these should be ideal birders.

Anyone know about these binos? Possible age? Specs? Waterproof? Let me know - I'd appreciate some more background info on them. Thx.

These were my primary birding bins until about two years ago -- when I started birding much more actively. I used them off and on for about 35 years. As others have reported, the optics are very good, and I still use my pair as house binoculars. They are also very rugged and can take a lot of abuse (never had a problem with them fogging up or getting wet).

They do have some drawbacks compared to more modern designs, however. There is far too little eye relief if you wear glasses. They are also somewhat on the heavy side. The diopter on mine has become loose and often loses its setting when I'm in the field. (I've been told that this can be fixed with some sort of rubber band (do a search for previous threads on these bins on this forum).

But if these problems don't concern you, they could serve you very well.

Best,
Jim

The Bushnell Customs are very well built and seldom get out of collimation. Most feature uv filters which seem to be out of vogue today. Given reasonable care, they will still be functional for years. The 9x36s are highly coveted. John

The 7x35 Custom is one of those great classics that few on this forum would pay attention to. It is still in demand. I think the field of view is larger than 7 degrees; perhaps 7 degrees 40 minutes, which according to Bushnell is 404 feet at 1,000 yards. If this one has the click-stop diopter setting and twist-up eyecups, then it is one of the early FPO models. It is optically very good and in its time was a landmark binocular.

I also have the 7x35 Customs. Mine is the "BOL" version without the locking diopter. An easy fix for this is to get an "O" ring of the proper diameter, to fit over the ocular ring. This creates enough friction to prevent the unit from moving.

I also have a pair of the Bushnel Custom 7x35s. I bought them in the late 60s and think they may still be the best binoculars I own.

I also have 8x42 Olympus, 7x50 Steiner Military/Marine a pair of 20x80 Zuhmmels (for Stargazing) and a pair of B&L 7x26 Audubon compact (same series as the 7x35s, and several more less distinguished pairs. I just compared the Steiners to the Bushnells and I think the Bushnells have higher contrast, and are possible sharper.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back