• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First spotting scope, need advice (1 Viewer)

rdfish1

While I have owned many pairs of binoculars, including some fairly high quality brands and understand the concept of "you get what you pay for", I have never looked through a spotting scope and know nothing about them so I could use some help. I will do some searching but have limited time, intend to pick one up tomorrow. One scope that comes to mind, to give you a perspective on the price point and quality I am considering is the Bushnell Legend HD, so recommendations along these lines vs. high end is appreciated. I am considering this scope b/c you can find them discounted for $240 for the 50 objective despite msrp of $400-500. They are also fully multi coated and last, I bought a pair of the Legend binocs and have been pleased with their performance to price ratio. However, I am not set on getting the Legends by any means, just want options that will give me similar or better performance to price. I saw a Swift 838 for $175 w/ fully multi, so if that would be better, it would be fine w/ me.

Uses: varied, everything from looking at birds, boats and people from the balcony of a rental beach condo to late afternoon/evening safari rides to spot birds and other wild game in the distance.

I don't think waterproof matters but if all else is equal, i'd take it.

Dont know if 50 or 60 objective makes much difference???

angle eyepiece or straight?

Not sure what else to say or ask but since I don't expect to use it alot, I don't want to invest a ton but want good performance so $150-275 feels like the right amt for me. Advice is appreciated

Last edited:
I would try to hit the $250 range with a 70 - 80 mm obj. As far as eye piece angles .... the straight makes finding the target quicker the angled unit can use a short tripod and work well while laying down on grass / blinds / off a bench .

Most have an aim line on the body of the scope to get a ball park line up before look in the eye piece .

Beter a larger objective and not the highest X power available .

I'd go with something like this LINk

Last edited:
Someone that bought a Minox.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191602

I would agree with HK about bigger objective lens, esp. with most of the time you will be using this off the balcony. A little more money the Bushnell Elite 60mm $368. I had the old non phase-coated one and it was very compact and light wt. Buy from a place with good return policy, Camerland and Eagle Optics.

hi there
the only spotting scope i have got is the only one i have ever had and that is a mirador merlin i have had this scope for 24 years and it has been used most of that
time a straight through spotting scope quite light in weight which is a big plus if you
are carrying your scope around a lot mind has a 60 mm opening and two screw in
lens one 25x and one 47x i use the 47x mainly for the magnification but the 25x
will give you better clarity and resolution thou both nice lenses it is not a waterproof
scope so i am always careful where water is concerned has a metal body if you get
a waterproof scope they will be rubber coated but the rubber will add to the weight
of the scope i use to have a small case for my scope but that has since deteriorated
where it was foam lined and that came loose eventually with wear i would have a hard time finding another i have a cover that clips on the lens but very basic can
easy come off and screw on cap around the eyepieces i do need a case for the
scope really not always easy things to replace i have certainly had my moneys
worth out of this scope the price of scopes go up in price nearly every year perhaps
look for a second hand one but more importantly one that you feel comfortable
with that does not take a lot of space up before i ever had a scope i relied on my
8x30 s i still do sometimes i have had them 40 years but the scope opened my eyes
to something wonderful for the first time the beauty of looking at birds i hope i may
have helped you with your quest keep in touch and let me know how you are doing

miles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back