• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with big/bright scope to complement Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

JLee

Hi. My partner and I have enjoyed a Nikon ED50 scope w/ 27x fixed wide-angle eyepiece for several years now. It goes hiking with us in the mountains, travels near and far, and we’re overall very pleased. It was purchased after research on this forum, so thanks folks!

However, we live near an area where we can view shorebirds near to our car. There’s also a grassland area where we can scope for longspurs. In these situations, we probably “leave birds on the table” due to only 27x magnification. We’re now wondering if we need a second scope — something noticeably bigger and brighter with higher magnification. For our birding overall, this need might represent about 15% of our birding —maybe more if we’re having a better time with it though!

The Kowa 883 jumps out as a great value for what seems like an awesome scope, although where I’m not sure where to actually try one. The biggest problem, though, is the warranty. 10 years w/ NO no-fault. The ED50 has been replaced after being dropped down a trail and now has a cat harness and leash on (seriously) so I can catch it on uneven terrain. Not sure if it’s worth the Swaro price for the warranty? Or should I spend less on a Vortex w/ the warranty? FWIW, we both wear glasses, or the Nikon Monarch might be more attractive.

For those of you with a compact scope, any words of advice? Do you use the big one as much as you thought? More? Do you see and ID more birds?

And how much value should be placed on a warranty?

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Hi,
Your situation is tailor made for a big scope, you have access to a car and are in a location where reach matters.
You can accept the weight and bulk of a big tripod which is essential to allow your big scope to perform to best advantage.
Given that, imho the Kowa is your best choice, warranty weakness notwithstanding, simply because it is currently the leader optically. However, if your budget allows, you might want to also test the big Swaro ATX 95 with a binocular viewer, much more expensive but also much more comfortable to look through. Swaro warranties are a powerful plus which you pay for up front, but the peace of mind may be worth it to you.

As a non car owning city dweller, I rely on the little Nikon ED50 as well, but found that even a 60mm EDIII needs so much tripod that it becomes uncomfortable to carry on travel. So the EDIII gathers dust mostly, despite its fine optical qualities.

Hi,

why not a fieldscope 82 ed body?
The 27 wide eyepiece from your 50 ed fits and gives 50x wide. If you put on a cable tie sight and learn to us it, that's going to be perfect.

Joachim

Hi,

why not a fieldscope 82 ed body?
The 27 wide eyepiece from your 50 ed fits and gives 50x wide. If you put on a cable tie sight and learn to us it, that's going to be perfect.

Joachim

That is an excellent idea, by far the most cost effective solution.
Nikon makes superb glass, much better than their marketing efforts.

That is an excellent idea, by far the most cost effective solution.
Nikon makes superb glass, much better than their marketing efforts.

Thank you both! Are you referring to the older discontinued Fieldscope line? Not Monarch Fieldscopes, correct? There's so little info on the Nikon website (poor marketing, as you said), so I'm not sure what eyepieces fit what. There are a couple very used or overseas warranty older Fieldscopes on eBay...

I'm not against doing this for sure, but I'd want to find an acceptable eyepiece for both -- can see times we'd have both in use scanning a large flock. Which might be more evidence for needing 2 scopes -- there are two people!

The one to go for is the Nikon ED82, as detailed here. An excellent large scope (there are a magnitude of threads on this forum) which can be found for considerably less than other top-tier scopes. The 30x DS is highly recommended and will give you a wonderful 16x super wide on the ED50 - fantastic if you spend any time birding in rainforests. The 20x/30x/38x is also very good, and my primary lens on the ED50, useful on the ED82, but not quite as easy on the eye as the 30xDS. I have both scopes, and find that between them, all possible scenarios are covered.

The one to go for is the Nikon ED82, as detailed here. An excellent large scope (there are a magnitude of threads on this forum) which can be found for considerably less than other top-tier scopes. The 30x DS is highly recommended and will give you a wonderful 16x super wide on the ED50 - fantastic if you spend any time birding in rainforests. The 20x/30x/38x is also very good, and my primary lens on the ED50, useful on the ED82, but not quite as easy on the eye as the 30xDS. I have both scopes, and find that between them, all possible scenarios are covered.

That scope is very hard to find in the US--can't find new. I can find 1 used on eBay, which I'm considering. Since I'm not in a hurry, I can keep an eye out for other used options as well. Thanks for the eyepiece recommendation!

Hi,

basically all the ones called Fieldscope ED share the same EPs.

The Monarch and EDG series are different.

I agree that the 30 DS EP would be nice to have too, so you have 16x and 50x or both at around 30x.

The zoom EPs for the series are quite sharp too, but not very wide.

Joachim

With both of us wearing glasses, I have to factor in eye relief --which is where the stock Nikon lenses disappoint. Maybe I can find good glass used and use the savings for laser eye surgery :-O

I have two spare zoom eyepieces that came with the ED50. I actually bought the body only, but each time Nikon replaced it, they sent new in the box incl. eyepieces. Guess I should re-home them to someone more appreciative!

With both of us wearing glasses, I have to factor in eye relief --which is where the stock Nikon lenses disappoint. Maybe I can find good glass used and use the savings for laser eye surgery :-O

I have two spare zoom eyepieces that came with the ED50. I actually bought the body only, but each time Nikon replaced it, they sent new in the box incl. eyepieces. Guess I should re-home them to someone more appreciative!
Forget the ED82 suggestion; I've had one with all the eyepieces since 2004. The 25-75 zoom eye relief and narrow FOV pale in comparison to the comfort of a Kowa 883. We also have the ED50, which my wife enjoys. A few years ago I bought a Kowa 883 (25-60) and absolutely love it. I still use the ED82 with a 30X DS eyepiece as a second scope but the Kowa 883 is, without question, king of the hill.

It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you.
The Kowa 883 is really the best of the best out there (especially with the $500.00 instant rebate we will still honor on Tuesday when we return to the store from the holiday weekend making it $2,650.00 with the TZ11WE eyepiece).
I plan on discussing their warranty with Kowa at SHOT show next month. I agree that compared to other brands their warranty leaves a bit to be desired, however, I've also never agreed that any product made should come with a lifetime no fault warranty. That makes no sense to me. Imagine if your car had such a warranty> 12 years of driving and enjoying you're in an accident and the car maker is obligated to repair or replace? Not logical.

A newer scope worth looking at, for quality and at a very competitive price, would be the Athlon Cronus 20-60x86 which for under $1500.00 would be a best buy

Thank you for the offer! I sent you a PM. I can put the $500 in a repair fund, helping me live with the less favorable warranty.

It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you.
The Kowa 883 is really the best of the best out there (especially with the $500.00 instant rebate we will still honor on Tuesday when we return to the store from the holiday weekend making it $2,650.00 with the TZ11WE eyepiece).
I plan on discussing their warranty with Kowa at SHOT show next month. I agree that compared to other brands their warranty leaves a bit to be desired, however, I've also never agreed that any product made should come with a lifetime no fault warranty. That makes no sense to me. Imagine if your car had such a warranty> 12 years of driving and enjoying you're in an accident and the car maker is obligated to repair or replace? Not logical.

A newer scope worth looking at, for quality and at a very competitive price, would be the Athlon Cronus 20-60x86 which for under $1500.00 would be a best buy

:)
I honestly do not think you'll have a concern with their warranty or any warranty issues.

IMO, the best warranty is the one you never need to use because the product is made well

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back