• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Afternnoon in Central Park NY. (1 Viewer)

KEVIN BROWN

Casual Birder
On August 28th I will hopefully have a few hours to watch wildlife in Central Park, nothing to intense as my dearest wife will be with me.She would like to visit the Boathouse, which I think may be near the Brambles area, so this is may be the easiest place for me, so I would appreciate any advise on this area or any other which has interesting native wildlife, anything other than people and their pets would be of interest to me. Would I be able to cover the Brambles area ok in about 2 hours ?

On August 28th I will hopefully have a few hours to watch wildlife in Central Park, nothing to intense as my dearest wife will be with me.She would like to visit the Boathouse, which I think may be near the Brambles area, so this is may be the easiest place for me, so I would appreciate any advise on this area or any other which has interesting native wildlife, anything other than people and their pets would be of interest to me. Would I be able to cover the Brambles area ok in about 2 hours ?

From memory, the Brambles is about ten minutes walk from the boating lake - fifteen minutes at most. And then you just potter about for an hour or two. So yes very feasable, I went in December so the birds would be different. Overall the park is far bigger than you probably expect, but as I say these two locations are not too far from each other.

You are best google searching a map of Central Park and printing it off to take with you.

Last edited:

Last time I went we entered park near the ice rink area.We took a central direction and found a large bird feeding area.Saw lots of new species for me coming to the bird feeders.[woodpeckers ,tits etc]
Then walked on to the large lake area and saw some more lifers.
Got a lot of lifers in a very short time.

Hello Kevin,

The Ramble is only a few minutes' walk from the Loeb Boathouse. Leave the Boathouse, turning left, northward, up a little hill, which veers more to the left, and you are at the bird feeders, at the edge of the Ramble. There are no straight paths in the Ramble, so you can spend quite a bit of time there, but there are other fruitful spots in the Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

To give you a litle flavour of the Ramble, etc, at the end of August, this report outlines my end of August days there in 2007 - I spent the whole of the 28th in Central Park, so should be a good indicator for you.

Thank you all for your input, though I will not be going now due flight being cancelled,
thanks for that IRENE!!!

Hello Kevin,

Looks like the City will be shut down, on Sunday, and that Central Park would be a very dangerous place with falling trees and flying debris.

Happy bird watching,

Re-booked for 20th November now, so what might I see now and will affect the best place to bird ?
P.S Hope things are not to rough for you locals and take care.

Re-booked for 20th November now, so what might I see now and will affect the best place to bird ?
P.S Hope things are not to rough for you locals and take care.

I would suggest Jamiaca Bay could be a lot better at that time of year, the park beginning to wind down to winter I suppose. That said, a nice selection inhabits the feeders in the Ramble. Though much later inthe year than your reschedules flight, the end of this report (3-4 January) may give you an idea.

Hi Kevin,

I went on business last November and only had a couple of hours in Central Park. I was in contact with Phil Jeffrey before who hopefully won't mind me posting his email here:

Subject: RE: Central Park birding

I recommend the small Eastern version of the Sibley/Audubon guide, particularly for sorting through the non-obvious sparrows. Sadly they aren't as striking as Chaffinch-Bullfinch-Greenfinch. (I'm an ex-pat Brit). We win with the warblers, however.

If you're a traveled UK birder the trip to Ellis Island and Liberty isn't going to add all that much, I suspect. Many of the waterbirds will be familiar. Great BB Gull and Herring Gull are the "same" depending on how you treat American Herring Gull. Ring-billed Gull is rather likely, but I think Laughing Gull would have moved on for the winter. Lesser BB Gull and the white-winged gulls are rare. The somewhat hardy Forster's Tern is possible, though very unlikely. On the duck and goose front there's a flock of Brant that plies NY Harbor, Canadas should be out in force, but Snow Geese are really only found in the Jamaica Bay area. Most of the ducks will be familiar, but the small black and white ones are more likely to be Bufflehead than Goldeneye. Most saltwater mergansers will be Red-breasted. Some chance at Hooded, but it and Common Merg/Goosander prefer freshwater. The latter really only comes down when the northern rivers freeze. Grebes would be Horned (Slavonian) and possibly Red-necked. Common Loon (GN Diver) and Red-throated Loons are distinctly possible. Probably more Double-crested than Great Cormorants at this stage - in particular with Double-crested look for the orange on the gape which can be pretty darn prominent. Great Cormorants are not very numerous around NYC.

I would take a quick look on the rocks for Purple Sandpiper. On Ellis Island the land birds may be: White-throated Sparrow, Song Sparrow, American Robin, House Finch, Northern Mockingbird, Northern Cardinal etc. "Suburban" birds. Maybe Yellow-rumped Warbler - by far the hardiest one.

At Battery Park - where you board the ferry, at least look around the grass briefly. Sometimes there's actually a Wild Turkey feeding there. Don't ask me why. Sometimes the Brant will feed on the lawn. The narrow strip of foliage etc that runs in the linear parks up the west side of Manhattan from here past the Jewish (Holocaust?) Museum can harbor wintering birds like White-throated Sparrow and give you a look over the water. Nothing epic expected, although there were vagrant hummingbirds here one year. Look up, also. There's a pair of Peregrines that nest on Water St and sometimes soar overhead. Also off a northerly wind, look up more. Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk and potentially even Bald Eagle might fly over (Bald Eagle will put up every gull in sight off the water). The commonest Buzzard-shaped bird is Red-tailed Hawk. While numerous elsewhere, Turkey Vulture is uncommon to rare in NYC and Black Vulture is rare, but you might get a late straggler coming down from the north on a migratory wind.

In the park I'd concentrate on the Lake below the Ramble and then walk up through the Ramble, out of the Ramble to the Reservoir and loop down through the Pinetum to Tanner's Spring. This is a host of places you don't know, so look at:
http://www.nycbirds.com/mapCPK.html

On the Lake American Black Duck should be hanging out with Mallards. Familiar birds like Gadwall and N. Shoveler are possible. Green-winged Teal and Wood Duck are possibilities but unlikely. Don't spend much time here. Walk across somewhere like Bow Bridge and spend some time in the ramble. White-throated Sparrow should be easy to find, Song Sparrow not far behind it. For Chipping Sparrow and Dark-eyed Junco you're going to have to look in the more open grassy areas. Black-capped Chickadee is having an invasion year so likely to be present. N Cardinal, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, Common Grackle, American Robin, House Finch are all highly likely. One or both Kinglets, Brown Creeper, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Hermit Thrush are possible. There are feeders a little to the east of Azalea Pond in the place we call Evodia Field (that's literally 25 yards east of Azalea Pond - things really are named at that interval) that should pull some or all of these species in. From the Ramble head north and bird the south-WEST corner of the reservoir - because of prevailing westerlies this is the most likely place for ducks to aggregate. As well as your British dabblers, you stand a decent chance at: American Coot, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, Hooded Merganser, lots of gulls and there are still a good number of Cormorants around the general area. Canvasback and Lesser Scaup have sadly become rare here. Due south of the reservoir corner is a small patch of pines i.e the Pinetum that might net you Golden-crowned Kinglet, Sapsucker and Pine Warbler if your karma is really good. A little south of there (and really unobtrusive) is a small spring area that would bring in the common locals. And if you haven't seen a Common Grackle yet, you'd probably get one there. If you've already got Common Grackle you might dispense with it, although it does pull in migrants if you have time to stake it out.

For the tourist accompanying part, bear in mind that the Ramble is south-south-east (** treating Manhattan as N-S, which it's really not) of Delacorte Theatre, and the "castle" above it overlooks Turtle Pond. Potential water birds, sparrows skulking the weedy edges. The walk north-ish from here could take you directly to Tanner's Spring, Pinetum, Reservoir. When trying to find Tanner's Spring aim for the arch underneath the west park drive, then cut right up the grassy slope a bit and look for a small water-filled depressing with some fencing. It's "outside" the park drive loop, whereas all the other sites are inside it. The resident Red-tailed might be seen over the Ramble etc. There's also a pair that hunts north of the reservoir. On a hawk flight day Belvedere Castle is not the worst place to watch from (but Sharp-shinned can be difficult to separate from Cooper's, given that both look like Sparrowhawks and can come close in size). American Kestrel does breed nearby but isn't commonly seen in the park.

If you are spending any time around midtown I suggest looking at Bryant Park. Currently hosting a Prothonotary Warbler along 5th Ave end between 40th and 42nd - which is better than anything else you will find in NYC - it also holds YB Sapsucker and WT Sparrow. Check the rest of the park (between 5th and 6th) and you might find something else.
http://nycbirding.blogspot.com/2010/10/prothonotary-warbler-impersonates-house.html

Lists to check
NYSBirds via birdingonthe.net at: http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
eBirdsNYC at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/messages

Hope this helps.

I agree with Joe Stratford that Jamaica Bay is great at that time of year. You will likely see hundreds of snow geese there in November. Note that the birding is great at Jamaica Bay but distances are bit longer. So, binocs will probably be fine for most birds, but if you plan any photography, you'll want your longest lens. Also, if you have a spotting scope, definitely do bring it.

That said, Central Park is also better in November. The feeders will likely be stocked. So, you can just sit a little bit to the east of Azalea Pond and watch the birds. There are also generally good ducks on the lake, sometimes at turtle pond, and often deeper divers (buffleheads, etc.) on the reservoir a bit farther north.

Here's a link to downloadable maps of central park. The top one should be good enough to find most areas.

http://www.centralparknyc.org/maps/downloadable-maps/

There are maps of the ramble at most entrances to it. If you look on the downloadable map of the park at the words "The Ramble", you'll notice a river leading down from the L toward the lake. Azalea Pond is around that point where the river meets the L (give or take a bit). A little to the right (east) is an area where the bird feeders are placed in winter, both seed and suet. So, you'll get an assortment of smaller birds like house finches, white throated sparrows, downy woodpeckers, and others (not to mention plenty of homo sapiens with optics).

If you're carrying binocs, it's always OK to ask other birders with binocs for recent sightings and directions to locations.

Enjoy!

Thank you to all of you for the information, I wiil only have a limited time to bird, I think it will be concertrated in the are between The Boathouse and Turtle pond, can anyone tell far this is, and how far this is from the Rockafella. If anyone a species list for birds they have seen in the Park in November, I would be most grateful to read it.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Thank you to all of you for the information, I wiil only have a limited time to bird, I think it will be concertrated in the are between The Boathouse and Turtle pond, can anyone tell far this is, and how far this is from the Rockafella?. If anyone a species list for birds they have seen in the Park in November, I would be most grateful to read it.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Hello Kevin,

If you are using the map recommended by Scott, or any map, the Park is 4 km. long and 800 meters wide, but the paths in the Park, and especially in the Ramble are sinuous. Did you mean Rockefeller Center, on Fifth Avenue? The Center is about two km. from the Loeb Boat House.

Happy bird watching,

Starting to prepare for my trip again now, yes Arthur I did mean the Rockefeller Center, we are actually stopping at The Barclay which I am informed is opposite. Is my best option to enter at E59 and walk to the boathouse, then round the Rambles, and where are the feeders located ? and are all the paths on the map Scott recommended ? Oh and my wife would like to know where to get the best Red Velvet cake ?

Thank you

Kevin

I have birded jamaica bay many times and have always enjoyed it, unless real windy...in which case, forget it. Be prepared for a 1/2 mile to a mile walk from the subway but that is easy...

Central Park is a good bet too as listed... But my daughter recommended to me that I look at Staten Island Landfill...I believe there are tours of it and something I am thinking about next time I am in NYC...More gulls and shorebirds from what I understand....

Starting to prepare for my trip again now, yes Arthur I did mean the Rockefeller Center, we are actually stopping at The Barclay which I am informed is opposite. Is my best option to enter at E59 and walk to the boathouse, then round the Rambles, and where are the feeders located ? and are all the paths on the map Scott recommended ? Oh and my wife would like to know where to get the best Red Velvet cake ?

Thank you

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Red velvet cupcakes are available at the Magnolia Bakery and elsewhere but it is not a favourite of mine. Yes, there are Magnolia Bakeries, in real life.
The Barclay is on Park Avenue, east of Rockefeller Center. Walking through the Park is fin Walking uptown, roughly north, along the streets and entering on 72nd at Fifth Avenue, is quicker and the feeders are nearby. In the Loeb Boathouse has a bird watchers' log, just inside. At the entrances to the Ramble, detailed maps are posted. Most bird watchers are helpful.
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood. :hi:
Sent from my iPod Touch

Last edited:
Thanks again Arthur, how long do you think it would take to reach the Boathouse from the Barclay, walking at a reasonable pace ? and is there any other Green areas to bird closer to our hotel, eg Bryant Park.

Thank you and kind regards

Kevin

Thank you to everyone for all the information it proved very useful, had a great time, though Birding time was very limited, managed to see quite a few birds and got good photos too. I entered The Ramble despite it being closed off and thought it was a fantastic place to bird, return trip a must I think, but what is the very best time of year for Central Park and possibly Jamaica ?

Hello Kevin,

Red velvet cupcakes are available at the Magnolia Bakery and elsewhere but it is not a favourite of mine. Yes, there are Magnolia Bakeries, in real life.
The Barclay is on Park Avenue, east of Rockefeller Center. Walking through the Park is fin Walking uptown, roughly north, along the streets and entering on 72nd at Fifth Avenue, is quicker and the feeders are nearby. In the Loeb Boathouse has a bird watchers' log, just inside. At the entrances to the Ramble, detailed maps are posted. Most bird watchers are helpful.
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood. :hi:
Sent from my iPod Touch

Hello Arthur

Hope you are well got a little worried about you when you did not reply to my last post. Found a Magnolia Bakery in Grand Central, and you were right about the Red Velvet cake not the best, take care and thank you for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back