• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador and Galapagos Guides: Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Hey all,

I'm studying abroad in Ecuador for a few weeks in May/June next year - one week in Quito, two weeks on San Cristobal Island in the Galapagos.

I'm looking into field guides for my time there. We will be visiting the Cloud-Forest for one day (specifics have been vague so far, should know more as the class meets next semester).

I am a quick study and INTENT on being at least vaguely familiar with all species in the regions I'm visiting. Can I get some feedback on "Birds of Ecuador" by Ridgely and Greenfield? Would it be worth it to buy both volumes, or should I just invest in Volume 2?

As far as the Galapagos goes, is there a definitive bird guide for it? I've seen on Amazon.com: "Wildlife of the Galapagos" by Fitter, "Birds, Mammals, and Reptiles of the Galapagos Islands" by Swash, and "Traveller's Wildlife Guide: Ecuador and the Galapagos Island" by Pearson and Beletsky.

I was able to thumb through Pearson and Beletsky at a local Barnes and Noble - it seemed to be a good base guide, but didn't represent all species present, which irks me.

Thoughts? Much appreciated, guys!

I used just The Birds of Ecuador, Field Guide for my one day in the cloud forest, but I also hired a guide who was invaluable, Robert Jonsson, who I found thru Bellavista Cloud Forest, http://www.bellavistacloudforest.com/ or diectly at http://www.avestravel.com/. The drawback of the guide I it's huge & heavy. The best would be an app for a smart phone, iPod/iPad, but I haven't seen one yet; only Brazil.

Swash & Still served me well during our week's cruise in the Galapagos. It's complete enough, small & easy to carry. It also includes other wildlife.

I would just buy the second volume of Birds of Ecuador- I own both volumes, but I rarely use the first volume and never need to use it for identification purposes. I really like the field guide, although it is quite heavy- many people remove the plates and have them bound separately to take into the field. Also in some places in Ecuador one can purchase a plates-only version of the book, I found a Spanish-language version when I visited Yanacocha.

Not experienced with the Galapagos guides so I can't comment on those.

I would mostly just echo what ovenbird43 says.

I, too, have both volumes, and find the field guide part to be first-rate, and the "taxonomy, status, and distribution" part to be largely superfluous. On its own, I have found the Field Guide is pretty good for information on range. But you lose all that if you get a "light-weight" i.e. plates-only edition; the original is big and heavy with good reason!

Have a great time - don't suppose you've time to get up to Papallacta? My most recommended stop for a (relatively) short trip out of Quito.

Last edited:
Alex - I happen to be reading a book about sailing and birding the Galapagos which you might find of some help. "Galapagos Diary" by Hermann Heinzel and Barnaby Hall. Lots of pictures, maps and sketches with bird checklist. 270 pages, paperback, published in 2000.

Steve

Thanks, guys.

I may try and spend an extra few days in Ecuador after the program is over - if you guys have any suggestions on a spot or two near Quito to go, it'd be much appreciated (e.g. Papallacta - thanks, Peter!).

Part of my concern is that I'm obliged to stick with the group for daily activities and will be taking pretty intensive classes. But, like I said, we are spending one night in the Cloud Forest (not sure which one... Mindo, maybe?) and there is a one-day ecotrip on the Galapagos. I'm staying with a host family on San Cristobal.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

I may try and spend an extra few days in Ecuador after the program is over - if you guys have any suggestions on a spot or two near Quito to go, it'd be much appreciated (e.g. Papallacta - thanks, Peter!).

Part of my concern is that I'm obliged to stick with the group for daily activities and will be taking pretty intensive classes. But, like I said, we are spending one night in the Cloud Forest (not sure which one... Mindo, maybe?) and there is a one-day ecotrip on the Galapagos. I'm staying with a host family on San Cristobal.

I only had a day in Quito. If I had an overnight I would probably spend it at Bellavista (see my earlier post). This is an eco-lodge right in the cloud forest not far from Quito. I had lunch there and spent a couple-three hours either walking a bit of their many trails or just sitting at the lodge watching the hummers & Flower Piercers coming to their many feeders. On that one day I saw more species of hummers than there are regularly in the U.S.

Are you going to get to any of the other islands in the Galapagos? It would be ashame to miss the albatross & endemic penguins & flightless cormorant among others.

I only had a day in Quito. If I had an overnight I would probably spend it at Bellavista (see my earlier post). This is an eco-lodge right in the cloud forest not far from Quito. I had lunch there and spent a couple-three hours either walking a bit of their many trails or just sitting at the lodge watching the hummers & Flower Piercers coming to their many feeders. On that one day I saw more species of hummers than there are regularly in the U.S.

Are you going to get to any of the other islands in the Galapagos? It would be ashame to miss the albatross & endemic penguins & flightless cormorant among others.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip RE: Bellavista - that may well be where we're going. I'll find out once we meet before this semester is out.

RE: Galapagos, our one-day ecotrip is to other islands, and I believe its for the purpose of seeing such species. Part of the program is environmental issues regarding conservation and addressing the issue of endemics. I can't imagine we'd spend all that time there and not be given the opportunity to see the species present throughout the archipelago.

Papallacta Pass is an excellent suggestion. I would also add Guango Lodge, just down the main road a few kilometers from the town of Papallacta. The feeders there draw lots of hummingbirds, including Sword-billed Hummingbird, Mountain Velvetbreast, and occasionally the avocetbill. The surrounding forest also holds lots of goodies. If you want to stay there overnight the rate isn't bad as far as eco-lodges go, and if I recall you get unlimited free hot drinks (coffee and tea).

Yanacocha Reserve is also an excellent place close to Quito, although not reachable (as far as I know) by public transportation. High altitude cloud and elfin forest, and even a bit of polylepis if you have time to climb high enough.

My wife and I were at Bellavista 10 years ago. I hope it hasn't changed. Between it (and the valley floor - with the river) - perhaps the single greatest (in numbers) downhill birding stroll on the planet. I don't know that ----- but it is quite special. Make sure you check out the feeders at Tandayapa and Tony Nunnery's. My info might be outdated - and perhaps ask 1st - before visiting the latter 2.

Hi Alex,

Been out birding so I haven't been able to respond. Here is a little additional info.

You need the second volume of the Ridgely set (Field Guide) but can do without the first unless you want to do more in-depth study of the birds. However, as everyone has mentioned it is heavy to carry. You can buy just the plates here in Ecuador but it is in Spanish. (The names of the birds are in English, Spanish and Latin) If you are going to spend your one night in the Mindo area then I would also recommend "The Birds of Northwest Ecuador" by W. Miles McMullan and Andrés Vásquez printed by Spot Field Books. It is small and very portable. It just has illustrations but there is enough information next to the birds to provide a good ID.

I am afraid I can't help you much on a guide to the Galapagos. They sell them here, in both Spanish and English versions, but I have only been to the Galapagos once so I didn't find a need. The Ridgely will cover many of the birds there except for the endemics.

There are several places to go birding around Quito such as Yanacocha, Cotopaxi, Pasochoa, Guango Lodge, Papallacta Pass, and Parque Jerusalem. There are also some obscure places that only the locals are familiar with. However, if you have some free time let me know and perhaps we can get out together.

Let me know if I can help you in any way. I spend my time photographing and writing about the birds of Ecuador. Have a great trip.

Last edited:
For the Galapagos I found the Swash and Still book more useful than Fitter. For birds only the out of print Isabel Castro book was good.

if you can go and visit Angel Paz's (can be arranged for you through Bella Vista), that's definitely worth it.

Bella Vista is definitely worth it, as is tony Nunnery's garden ( about 1.5-2 KM back down the road from Bella Vista). Very good for hummingbirds (quite a few species different from what you get at the feeders at BV itself) and flocks regularly move through his garden as well.

If you have the time to spend the night at the lodge: get up before dawn and quietly walk the grounds. We had 2 giant Antpittas hopping about on 2 occasions on the path between the reception and the restaurant building. Some of the stumps / Bamboo trunks at the parking lot entrance also sometimes ahve a common pottoo roosting on them (before the daytime bustle).

Pappallacta is definitely great as is Antisana.

Cheers,

filip

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back