• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x50 Binocular options (1 Viewer)

AGPank

I'm interested in diversifying my optics and adding a 12x50 option. I have EL 8x32 SV and 2015 Trinovid 10x42.

I'm considering the Meostar 12x50 hd, ultravid hd (not plus it's out of price, found a good hd version online) and the EL 12x50. I'm open to others if I'm missing something.

I think a used EL is going to be out of my price range, they seem to be running $2000 used. Best field of view and great reputation and resale if I don't like them.

The Meostar has good reviews and is a good price. Sometimes cabelas runs 25% sale. Lower FOV, highest weight, but standard threaded adapter. I had the 10x42 and they are well built.

I don't know much, nor can I find reviews on the Ultravid HD. I know it's not the HD +, but price seems good around $1500-1700.

I'm interested in diversifying my optics and adding a 12x50 option.

I have access to several 12x50s; here's my personal assessment, in descending order of preference -

Swarovski EL SV - bright, flat, sharp view, 5.7 deg., 100m, 999g, expensive
Leica UV/HD - beautiful view, 5.7 deg., 100m, 1040g, expensive when new
Leica BA/BN - beautiful view, 5.4 deg., 90m, 1210g, not expensive used
Meopta B1 - very nice view, 5.2 deg., 92m, 1060g
Nikon SE - very nice view, 5.0 deg., 87m, 815g, hard to find, not waterproof
Vortex Razor - very nice view, 5.4 deg., 95m, 825g, some lateral CA at edge

I think the EL SV provides the "best" overall viewing experience, with both Leicas very close behind; I actually prefer the "feel" of the Leica view, but for me the Swaro provides more information because it's sharp all the way to the edge of a narrow field of view. Just my opinion, of course; I could be blissfully happy with either of those.

The Meopta is very good; for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me.

The Nikon is excellent, but it's hard to find these days. I know someone who has one NIB for sale; PM me if you're interested.

The Vortex is really great; very light weight, compact, very nice view, but it does show more than a little lateral CA at the edge of the field. Focus direction is CCW to infinity, opposite to all the others in this list. There's one for sale now on Cloudy Nights Classifieds.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

John

Thanks John for summarising the stats on some of the more obvious options. I've not seen the Nikon or the Trinovid.

They are all good and it would be silly to argue one is better than the other, but they do have different characteristics that will divide opinion. It often puzzles me that forum members can describe the colour characteristics of the different models so differently. For what it's worth I see the Swaro as typically blue shifted, the older Ultravids red, the older Meoptas yellow, (and Zeiss green). These appear to me to give slightly different contrast profiles in different light conditions which can enhance or hinder the clarity of the view in my opinion. To me the UV HD Plus and that most recent Meostar HD offered the best colour rendition in good light, but others will disagree and you might well see things entirely differently again. I quite liked the Vortex for colour and light weight but I'd agree with John that the CA was a little intrusive. I liked the 10x50 though.

At 12x the steadiness of the view is very important. With a couple on that list I found it difficult to find a hand position which both allowed me to both reach the focus and get a good balance. I thought the Swaro was most difficult in that regard, but others have praised it for steadiness and ease of use. I do have a favorite from the samples I've tried but it's impossible to say what will work for you.

At birding stores and shows 12x binoculars are usually thin on the ground. The few I've found at more modest price points have generally been rather disappointing. I'll admit to rather likeing the Celestron Granite 12x50 though. In many ways it's rather flawed opticall, and not in the same league as the others discussed. It does have two redeeming virtues. It's light and I could hold it steady, which are very useful characteristics. The UK price does seem a bit on the high side to me.

Good luck,

David

If I was buying new, the Meopta (or Cabelas version) would be the selection for price and performance. I'd consider the Nikon, but concerned about the non waterproof construction when taking it from hot humid Florida to dry cold Colorado at elevation.

I'll likely be shopping for a used deal and see what I can find.

Thanks for the input.

The Docter 12x50 Nobilem is not waterproof and heavy, but optically very good.
Sadly it is no longer available new, but used specimens come on Ebay fairly regularly. Search worldwide, not just locally, as there were few Docter binocs sold in the US.

I found a good deal on a NIB ultravid hd. Similar prices as a new Meostar so I jumped on it. They should arrive tomorrow. I will post up my thoughts in the Leica section.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back