• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Duck, Morecambe Bay, UK (1 Viewer)

PhilCumbria

Might be a Goose for all I know! having a trawl through some pics - was taken in last 2 weeks.

Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• DSC_0830 zoomed.jpg
    DSC_0830 zoomed.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 95
Nutcracker may be right that it is a Canalag / Grenada Goose, the most common hybrid, but I am not 100% sure. There have been some weird and wonderful hybrids at South Walney, partly due to a group of Emperor Geese deserting nearby Piel Island.

Could be a Canada x Greylag (which is certainly the default option for Anser x Branta hybrids!), but it looks rather short-necked for one, and the fact that the OP first thought "duck" before "goose" suggests that it might not be a very large bird, so it does make me wonder about other possibilities (like maybe Barnacle x something?) - hard to tell from this one photo though. If there is a photo with its neck upright or showing size comparison with other birds, that would probably help.

It doesn't obviously show Emperor influence, but then I remember one bird I saw that didn't look much like an Emperor either (it looked a lot like a Lesser White-fronted, but not quite right for one) turning out to be Emperor x something (possibly Greylag?).

I think we can reasonably safely say one parent is a "white-faced" Branta goose (Canada, Cackling or Barnacle) and the other is a "grey" goose though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back