• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several Small birds and a Gull - Trinidad & Tobago (1 Viewer)

bugmat

The gull I suspect is a franklin's gull? The rest I'm not sure at all.

bird 01 - female white-winged becard or ?
bird 02 - a southern beardless tyrannulet ?
bird 03 - franklin gull or?
bird 04 - bran-colored FC?
bird 05 - slaty elaenia or another elaniea spp?

Any and all help appreciated as usual. I will add additional shots of these in a second post.

Attachments

• bird 01a - chicklands.jpg
    bird 01a - chicklands.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 37
  • bird 02b - chicklands.jpg
    bird 02b - chicklands.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 23
  • bird 03a.jpg
    bird 03a.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 57
  • bird 04a.jpg
    bird 04a.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 30
  • bird 5d.jpg
    bird 5d.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 21
Additional pics of the five birds

Attachments

• bird 01b - chicklands.jpg
    bird 01b - chicklands.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 17
  • bird 02a - chicklands.jpg
    bird 02a - chicklands.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 16
  • bird 03b.jpg
    bird 03b.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 30
  • bird 04b.jpg
    bird 04b.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 10
  • bird 05a.jpg
    bird 05a.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 15
bird 3, I would be more likely to consider Laughing Gull - more brown on head than Franklin's.
As to the others, I don't have a good reference book for T & T as it is more Venezuelan than Caribbean birds.

Regarding the gull: I am not sure that is correct. I see the bill as thinner than typical Laughing, and certainly thinner than the certain laughing on the left in image 1. The shape of the hood seen here is completely typical of a Franklin's in winter, and would be rather rare for Laughing in full winter. Finally, black feathers often fade to brown in all sorts of birds once they are in the Caribbean sun, so I would not put any stock into the color difference.

Do you have any other images of the flying gull, preferably to see the upperside of the wing?
Niels

Regarding the gull: I am not sure that is correct. I see the bill as thinner than typical Laughing, and certainly thinner than the certain laughing on the left in image 1. The shape of the hood seen here is completely typical of a Franklin's in winter, and would be rather rare for Laughing in full winter. Finally, black feathers often fade to brown in all sorts of birds once they are in the Caribbean sun, so I would not put any stock into the color difference.

Do you have any other images of the flying gull, preferably to see the upperside of the wing?
Niels

Unfortunately no - I was inching closer when it took off and that was the only shot I manged in flight, but as you say I didn't think it was a LG due to the bill and the hood in comparison to the rest of the LGs (there were over 1000 but two were in breeding plumage - totally differnet hoods from this guy)

It was the only one that looked like that and there has been a report of at least 3 FGs in that area in the past 2 weeks, one in winter plumage.

I usually try to stay away from flycatchers in photos only, but I think you are right on Bran-colored for 4.
I do not see a becard for #1 but could be wrong.
You might be right on #2, but someone else need to look as well.
I do not think the last is correct, probably not even an Elaenia.

Niels

I usually try to stay away from flycatchers in photos only, but I think you are right on Bran-colored for 4.
I do not see a becard for #1 but could be wrong.
You might be right on #2, but someone else need to look as well.
I do not think the last is correct, probably not even an Elaenia.

Niels

Thanks - it is hard and they were all silent so no call to match either. The last one reminded me of a tropical pewee but several things don't match like the bill (pink rather than two-toned)...

The bill in the last one reminds me of flatbills, so you probably need to look at similar flycatchers. (possibly is better than probably in that sentence?)

Niels

The bill in the last one reminds me of flatbills, so you probably need to look at similar flycatchers. (possibly is better than probably in that sentence?)

Niels

I'll do that - also a local birdwatching expert who i finally got in touch with confirmed that the gull is a franklin's gull - first winter :t: the attached pic is the only other one I have but it was still on the ground then

The first one really has me stumped as the head/jizz seems very clean but the beak is unusual..

Attachments

• bird 03c.jpg
    bird 03c.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
1) Euler'sFlycatcher I think
2) not sure, but Southern Beardless Tyrannulet has an orange mandible
3) Franklin's Gull
4) Bran-colored looks good
5) Tropical Pewee

Andy

1) Euler'sFlycatcher I think
2) not sure, but Southern Beardless Tyrannulet has an orange mandible
3) Franklin's Gull
4) Bran-colored looks good
5) Tropical Pewee

Andy

Hmm I'll check that for #1 but after seeing some other photos from another birdwatcher here that #5 might be also Euler's FC. Here are additional photos - it was distinctly different from the tropical pewee that was also present - 2 white-ish wing bars that stood out vs the barely visible ones on the pewee, pinkish flat bill, slightly faint white eye ring etc

Attachments

• 20170121-_DSC5132.jpg
    20170121-_DSC5132.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170121-_DSC5093.jpg
    20170121-_DSC5093.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20170121-_DSC5091.jpg
    20170121-_DSC5091.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20170121-_DSC5040.jpg
    20170121-_DSC5040.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 6
  • tropical pewee.jpg
    tropical pewee.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back