• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Icteridae (1 Viewer)

Powell et al

Powell, Barker & Lanyon (in press). Empirical evaluation of partitioning schemes for phylogenetic analyses of mitogenomic data: an avian case study. Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]

Red-winged Blackbird

Dufort & Barker (in press). Range dynamics, rather than convergent selection, explain the mosaic distribution of red-winged blackbird phenotypes. Ecol Evol. [abstract] [pdf]

Fraga 2011 (HBW 16).

Last edited:
Powell et al

Powell, Barker, Lanyon, Burns, Klicka & Lovette (in press). A comprehensive species-level molecular phylogeny of the New World blackbirds (Icteridae). Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]

Powell 2012. Molecular phylogenetics of the New World blackbirds (Icteridae). PhD dissertation, University of Minnesota. [abstract] [pdf]

Last edited:
Northern Mountain Cacique

Powell, Barker, Lanyon, Burns, Klicka & Lovette (in press). A comprehensive species-level molecular phylogeny of the New World blackbirds (Icteridae). Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]
Powell et al 2014. Mol Phylogenet Evol 71(1): 94–112.

AOU-SACC Proposal #616 (Penhallurick, Dec 2013): Split Cacicus leucoramphus from Cacicus chrysonotus.

[Split by Ridgely & Tudor 2009 (Birds of South America: Passerines), Fraga 2011 (HBW 16) and IOC.]

Last edited:
Yellow-rumped Cacique

AOU-SACC Proposal #624 (Penhallurick, Feb 2014): Split Cacicus flavicrissus from Cacicus cela.
  • Cacicus (cela) cela - Yellow-rumped Cacique
  • Cacicus (cela) flavicrissus - Saffron-rumped Cacique (incl vitellinus)
Fraga 2011 (HBW 16).

Last edited:
Sexual dichromatism

Price & Eaton (in press). Reconstructing the evolution of sexual dichromatism: current color diversity does not reflect past rates of male and female change. Evolution. [abstract]

Friedman et al

Friedman, Kiere & Omland 2011. Convergent gains of red carotenoid-based coloration in the New World blackbirds. Auk: in press [abstract]
Friedman, McGraw & Omland (in press). Evolution of carotenoid pigmentation in caciques and meadowlarks (Icteridae): repeated gains of red plumage coloration by carotenoid C4-oxygenation. Evolution. [abstract] [supp info]
Friedman, McGraw & Omland (in press). History and mechanisms of carotenoid plumage evolution in the New World orioles (Icterus). Comp Biochem Physiol B. [abstract]
  • Friedman et al 2011. Auk 128(4): 678–687. [pdf]
  • Friedman et al 2014. Evolution 68(3): 791–801. [pdf]

Last edited:

Attachments

• Icteridae 4.3.xls
    99 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The IOC should really set .xls as the default (the round Office button, Options button, Save, then change default to .xls).

There is nothing to gain with .xlsx in this simple application.

Theo

The IOC should really set .xls as the default (the round Office button, Options button, Save, then change default to .xls).

There is nothing to gain with .xlsx in this simple application.

Theo
:clap::clap::clap:
Particularly if they are to uphold the 'I' in IOC - I wonder how many students in e.g. tropical Africa can afford to get xlsx-reading software.

I know you can download a file converter for free (if you know of it's existence). But why? Save the file with an .xls extension and everyone lives happily ever after.

Theo

I do not understand the last two posts. If you have an older version of MS office, there is a free download of file converters from microsoft. If you do not, then the free download of Open office has been able to open .xlsx files since version 3. http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.0/
I'm sure that the IOC team isn't deliberately trying to make life difficult for anyone, and is just using the current default format (.xlsx). But, as Theo says, there's no obvious benefit in using .xlsx for straightforward spreadsheets – it just creates unnecessary inconvenience for many users. Although I use Excel 2007, I've always had it configured to save files as .xls by default to maximise accessibility.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back