• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombian birds (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Donegan, Quevedo, McMullan & Salaman 2011. Revision of the status of bird species occurring or reported in Colombia 2011 – Revisión del estatus de las especies de aves que existen o han sido reportadas en Colombia 2011. Conservación Colombiana 15: 4-21. [pdf]

Includes several taxonomic changes, including detailed justification for a 5-way split of Schiffornis turdina.
(AOU-SACC proposal #327 for a 6-way split failed to pass, May 2008).

[With thanks to Thomas Donegan.]

Last edited:
Donegan, Quevedo, McMullan & Salaman 2011. Revision of the status of bird species occurring or reported in Colombia 2011 – Revisión del estatus de las especies de aves que existen o han sido reportadas en Colombia 2011. Conservación Colombiana 15: 4-21.

including 3 new birds for Colombia [and one for south America!] (Blue–and–gold Tanager, Pirre Bush–Tanager & Black–and–yellow Tanager) based on a wrong -non published- reference! .... Tamaris–Turizo et al. (2010) never visited Tacarcuna Mts. ;-)

http://www.ornitologiacolombiana.org/Congreso3/MemoriasInventarios.pdf

O10- EL CERRO TAKARKUNA Y SU IMPORTANCIA PARA LA DIVERSIDAD DE LA AVIFAUNA EN LA SERRANÍA DEL DARIÉN - COLOMBIAEl cerro Takarkuna es una de las regiones de colombia biológicamente menos exploradas y conocidas. Durante el Pleistoceno surgió allí una gran
variedad de especies de aves que hacen de la región del Darién una de las más diversas del Chocó. Se muestrearon la aves en las estribaciones
orientales del cerro Takarkuna en Colombia, medio y alto río Tanelita, cgto. de Balboa, mpio. de Unguía, entre 400 y 1323m. Capturamos 693
individuos de 89 especies de aves y registramos por observaciones y vocalizaciones 414 individuos de 118 especies, para un total de 1107
individuos de 164 especies entre las cuales Bangsia arcaei es un nuevo registro para Colombia, y los especímenes de Chrysothlypis chrysomelas,
Chlorospingus inornatus, Ch. tacarcunae y Arremon crassirostris son los primeros en colecciones colombianas. Los registros de Glaucidium
minutissimum, Pseudocolaptes boissonneautii, Sclerurus mexicanus, Colaptes rivolii, Haplophaedia aureliae, Hylocharis eliciae, Colibri delphinae,
Pyrilia pyrila y Conirostrum leucogenys amplían la distribución conocida de estas especies desde las cordilleras andinas hacia la Serranía del Darién
en Colombia. Las especies generalistas y migratorias aparecieron en todo el gradiente altitudinal, mientras que las especies endémicas del
Takarkuna y cerros aledaños, y las centroaméricanas, estuvieron restringidas a las zonas altas. El gradiente altitudinal y los aportes de la avifauna
restringida a los bosques montanos del cerro, hacen que el cerro Takarkuna se convierta en el sitio de mayor diversidad de aves del Darién
Colombiano. Este trabajo contribuye con el Objetivo 1 de la Estrategia Nacional para la Conservación de las Aves de Colombia, resultado 2 ,
incremento en calidad y cantidad de investigaciones sobre todos los aspectos de la biología de las aves colombianas, y 3, áreas claves para la
conservación de las aves identificadas, en particular para las especies amenazadas, endémicas y migratorias.
Tamaris-Turizo, Diana*, [email protected]
Villa de L., Carlos
Utría-Ortega, Gabriel
Manjarrés-Morrón, Miguel

Typically on a short note like this, the authors come after the text or at least after the title, with spacing separating them from articles they did not write. If journals or memorias don't list authors correctly, it's not clear that those who try to cite them should be blamed. I guess that they are putting authors before titles nowadays at ACO? Anyhow, tx for picking this up and good to see your usual positive attitude manifesting itself here, Diego.

There are actually papers on five new species for Colombia and two new species for South America in this edition of Conservacion Colombiana: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius), Rufous-breasted Wood-Quail (Odontophorus speciosus), White-bellied Parrot (Pionites leucogaster), Masked Water-tyrant (Fluvicola nengeta) and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (Tyrannus forficatus).

The other papers available here:
http://www.proaves.org/rubrique.php?id_rubrique=463

WARNING: There may or may not be a missing comma somewhere on page 37! :-O

Last edited:
I guess that they are putting authors before titles nowadays at ACO? Anyhow, tx for picking this up and good to see your usual positive attitude manifesting itself here, Diego.

I guess; no idea about how ACO is dealing with abstracts and authors, references, etc..
sorry, but I can not have any positive attitude towards a magazine where basically authors, editorial committee, acknowledged people, and peer reviewers are all same names...

anyways, well done on sapsucker and other new records!

Last edited:
Thanks for the last message. If this is the best you can come up with, we've probably not done a bad job of editing this edition. :cat:

Hopefully, there'll be a proper paper in the published literature on these exciting new records from Tacarcuna soon.

Hopefully, there'll be a proper paper in the published literature on these exciting new records from Tacarcuna soon.

yes Thomas, hopefully as it is been quite a long time since these guys (plus a second expedition by different people) went up there; I have actually included those birds in my COLOMBIA Birding old non-updated-full-of-mistakes checklist long time ago (http://www.colombiabirding.com/files/COLOMBIA_Birding_Colombia_checklist.pdf). [it's maybe time I update it now that the SACC's Listero Clandestino recently updated the Colombia list http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCListByCountry.xls ]

d.

it's maybe time I update it now that the SACC's Listero Clandestino recently updated the Colombia list

Hey Diego, if you're genuinely concerned about errors, then I seriously would not use that as a source!!

it's maybe time I update it now that the SACC's Listero Clandestino recently updated the Colombia list

Hey Diego, if you're genuinely concerned about errors, then I seriously would not use that as a source!!

Thomas, I have checked the new updated list by SACC and it does look much better shape than some months ago... some mistakes fixed (Cranioleuca hellmayri as endemic, Rusty-belted Tapaculo missing, etc); you have to have in mind it does not include San Andres island and also it does not accepts birds without officially published information...

d.

There has been a Colombian checklist published and regularly updated for over 10 years. The latest version is available in good bookshops and at ProAves in Colombia. The papers which kicked off this thread were the annual update paper on changes to the Colombian list which has been running now for several years. Few other national Neotropical checklist teams update their checklist so regularly and with such level of justification (Brazil and Trinidad & Tobago being other countries with good systems); and few other committees have undertaken as much work as we have to converge treatments with the SACC through so many taxonomic and name-based proposals.

http://www.nhbs.com/checklist_of_the_birds_of_colombia_tefno_176452.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Checklist-B...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320667115&sr=1-4

Or, if in Colombia, see this link and scroll down to the bottom of the page:
http://www.proaves.org/guia/

I am not aware of the SACC setting up their own checklist in competition with an existing checklist for any other country. Their divisive and anonymous approach also brings a host of difficulties and errors with it, apart from excluding San Andres (which is a contiguous part of Colombia's national territory). I am sure our checklist still has a few issues with it, and Diego's thread started with complaint at a possible error in citing a paper (although I am not convinced: see above). But our checklist is based solely on published research and records. What we do not have, and the SACC has lots of, is as many hypothetical species listed as confirmed, confirmed species listed as hypothetical, species known only from "Bogota" specimens listed as anything from confirmed through vagrants to hypothetical, escaped species for which there is no evidence of introduction being treated as established, escaped species for which there is better evidence of introduction not being listed, numerous sight record species being excluded because they are not on the confirmed list, etc. etc. etc ...

Diego, why promote someone's ham-fisted effort at copying our checklist when you can use the real deal?

Last edited:
you're absolutely right that at least your checklist has more eyes on it and should be more accurate...
anyways, it is always been clear that SACC is an unofficial list for Colombia until the ACO produces the official one... that hopefully, would be well curated.
meanwhile, due to personal reasons, I prefer 'struggling' with the anonymous one than with yours ...

Proposal 505 (Split Thrush-like Manakin Schiffornis turdina into five species) passed April 24th, 2012.

Niels

Filip...
at Rio Claro right now!... almost done but have had loads of work and honestly not very much time.. will send you the updated version by mid May after I finish this trip....

So today I am looking for Slender-billed Schiffornis (S. stenorhyncha) instead the traditional Thrush-like Schiffornis S. turdina... crazy!!

saludos,
diego.

Just don't look for it to continue to go by that common name - they're looking to revise some of those for ones that are more descriptive (& accurate - apparently stenorhyncha doesn't have the slenderest bill in the group). No proposal yet, but the current 'working' names from their website are:

Olivaceous Schiffornis - S. olivacea
Northern Schiffornis - S. veraepacis including ssp. dumicola, acrolophites, rosenbergi, & "buckleyi"
Foothills Schiffornis - S. aenea
Rufous-winged Schiffornis - S. stenorhyncha including ssp. panamensis
Brown-winged Schiffornis - S. turdina s.s., including ssp. steinbachi, amazonum, intermedia, & wallacii

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back